MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Super Motards
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
thebujster

Feedback Rating: (0)

How low can you lean on a drz with leg out at the track?

I know this is a stupid question, but I just got a DRZ400, and would love to start taking it out to the track to just "have fun" next season (Most likely: GSS and MSRH). I've done plenty of track days on a 600 and so I'm familiar with the "proper knee out body position."

I was planning on running some Bridgestone S20s (it will be 90% street, 10% track). I wanted to ride it completely leg out supermoto style, again just for fun factor. I know for for the faster sweeping turns, it's probably better and safer to run knee out sportbike style but I'm just aiming to goof around and do something different. I was wondering, how low can I lean a DRZ on street tires crossed up leg out style? I would hate to be doing leg out coming into the carousel at MSRH and just completely lowside because I'm being stupid.

Anyone have pictures or advice of how low I can push it down? And yes, I'm aware of all the pro who basically are laying the bike down on its side and folding pegs. My answer to that:

1. I'm not a good rider at all lol.
2. I'm sure they have better tires/stickier tires than my s20s.

Looking for some real experience stories, but curious at what others think as well. Thanks!
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batman got some lean. Schmidie Off Topic 12 01-25-2013 05:38 PM
how lean is to lean! H2447INTX How To's and Q & A's 17 06-07-2009 07:01 PM
What's your lean side? Gumby General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 01-09-2008 12:04 PM
lean to the left lean to the right! MrGixxer7fitty Off Topic 22 07-18-2007 05:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Your gonna cross urself up....but if u must...in theory should be able to grind the pegs down. Only one guy Ive seen at GSS to ride like that but its more of a brake super late, dip in and gas gas gas out the turn. He's fast and it works for him but not for all. All the super duper fast mofos at GSS ride knee out style.

I had BT016s on my DRZ and it handled stuck pretty good till I tried keeping up with those fast guys....then I slide on my ...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

That looks about as low as you can go...
472381 259397370820767 79555115 o
ktm smc supermoto lc design 466157
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
thebujster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Your gonna cross urself up....but if u must...in theory should be able to grind the pegs down. Only one guy Ive seen at GSS to ride like that but its more of a brake super late, dip in and gas gas gas out the turn. He's fast and it works for him but not for all. All the super duper fast mofos at GSS ride knee out style.

I had BT016s on my DRZ and it handled stuck pretty good till I tried keeping up with those fast guys....then I slide on my ...
Thanks for the tip, is there anything wrong with riding crossed up on a moto? Also, what allows the supermotos to lean so much farther than sportbikes?
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I saw Terrell get his fork sliders on the inside curb at a kart track on his DRZ riding foot out. He also came as close as you can come to highsiding without actually highsiding moments later. He was on Bridgestone 003.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebujster View Post
Thanks for the tip, is there anything wrong with riding crossed up on a moto? Also, what allows the supermotos to lean so much farther than sportbikes?
By crossed up I meant confused on how to ride. Your gonna wanna stick a knee out but maybe get a leg out at the same time kinda crossed up, or maybe thats just confused! At least for me I didnt want to mess with the two. Just saw what everyone else was doing and went with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I saw Terrell get his fork sliders on the inside curb at a kart track on his DRZ riding foot out. He also came as close as you can come to highsiding without actually highsiding moments later. He was on Bridgestone 003.
Terrells also got more than most of us plus he stunts so that helps a lot. He ended up saying the BT003 were horrible tires they are awesome too me but it could of been his riding style.

OP which ever u pick just stick with it. Practice at it then u could change it up. 3 years after riding supermotos and I am still trying lean knee out. Lookin forward to see the lightweight group back at GSS

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

Ill start by saying I have no paved track experience. Only motocross since I was 9. Having said that. When I attempted any speed on my drz I always dI'd foot out cause it felt right and seemed easier to control while sliding. But I think your riding background determines what works best for you. So changing to foot out may not be the best idea if you have been doing knee out.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
thebigman
Better get this Money

Bike(s):
lots of XR650L's
XR1200X
Passports/CT's

Bout this low with the leg out style .

thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassik View Post
Ill start by saying I have no paved track experience. Only motocross since I was 9. Having said that. When I attempted any speed on my drz I always dI'd foot out cause it felt right and seemed easier to control while sliding. But I think your riding background determines what works best for you. So changing to foot out may not be the best idea if you have been doing knee out.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Houston Terrell

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

I know you can drag foot pegs with no problems on the street on pilot powers.
I swear by those tires tho. Yes you can even slide axle sliders on a berm at the track but it gets hairy lol.
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Houston Terrell

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

I think the problem with those 003s were they were take offs and the rear had a very tall sidewall/too narrow.
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Terrell View Post
I think the problem with those 003s were they were take offs and the rear had a very tall sidewall/too narrow.
I think the problem was your rear tire pivoted off of the ground once the slider hit the curb.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
mxrider14

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'06 KTM 525 sumo/dirt
'13 Aprilia Tuono APRC

I used to ride knee out, but changed to leg out eventually. The real benefit of going leg out is the quick transitions from left to right. With your leg out, your body stays above the bike and you can work the bars easily if you get into a hairy situation. Knee out seems much more stable at high speed sweepers. I haven't ever been to GSS, but MSRH is not tight enough to really benefit from going foot out.

As far as how low you can go, if I don't have sliders on my footpegs, I wouldn't have any. On the street with street tires, it's easy to grind away your footpegs if you're going foot out. I do worry about bottoming out the footpeg which would lead to "rotating" the bike, ultimately crashing, probably ending up high siding.

Foot out is way more fun IMO!
mxrider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
mxrider14

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'06 KTM 525 sumo/dirt
'13 Aprilia Tuono APRC

Good thread here http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...er-Pictures-gt
mxrider14 is offline   Reply With Quote