MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

'56 Panhead Rebirth

My dad's '56 panhead has been sitting for right at 15 years now (he got it when he was 17). He has talked about working on it and getting it running forever and I have gotten tired of waiting on him. I know I am taking my life in my own hands, but my mom is in on this one also. I am actually stealing it and replacing it with a 79CC replica as a joke in case he notices (its in a shed that doesn't get used) he knows the little bike is mine, and will know it isn't stolen this way. Anyways, I know the reliability on the old harleys are really good. I plan on pulling the carb and tank off and soaking and cleaning them, while that is going on, i'm going to use Marvels mystery oil in the cylinder to make sure the rings free up if possible. Then the basic tune up stuff, new oil, plugs, wires and filter. Is there anything else critical i should look out for? I have a good knowledge of engines and have worked on many, do all work myself, but i have never messed with a panhead. Just curious from you wiser maintnance guys. I just want to make sure there is nothing critical i am missing before i turn this thing over. I figure since it has been sitting, i know there is going to be a lot of other stuff to go through, like fork seals etc. and I figure the only other thing to worry about might be the coil. Like I said, just looking for some insight on any thing else I might need to check before I kick it over and cause something really wrong. Thanks in advance.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote