MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #21
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Yeah sorry I keep forgetting no one can tell when you are just joking around on the internet. I'm hoping He realizes that no one in their right mind would reccomend a 1000cc+ sport bike to someone who is learning to ride.

Daunte- If you're still in high school, why not get a ninja 250 or a 500...or if you don't like kawasaki, what about a gs500? Or a honda cbr250/500? It will be cheap, lightweight, unintimidating, cheap on insurance and good on gas. If you absolutely must get something faster I would say SV650 or ninja 650 at the most. These bikes are still reasonable bikes to learn on, but make no mistake they are fast and need to be respected.

I would say a 600cc SS is way too fast to learn on. I'm sure it's doable, but far from ideal. You can drive a car with no hands, but does that make it a good idea?
A 600cc bike isn't THAT much slower than a 1000 when you are talking low speed acceleration. Also the brakes are going to be very sensitive because they are designed to slow the bike down from triple digit speeds. To make a long story short, they are sensitive and easy to screw up and crash, even if you are trying to be careful and go slow. They are fine tuned for racing, not cruising in the street/learning to ride. If you don't have excellent self control, it's easy to get in over your head and go faster than you should. Sure you don't have to use it's speed, but if it's there, the temptation may be too strong. Trust me I know. I broke my femur racing dirtbikes when I was in high school and now have to deal with pain all my life because of something stupid I did for just a few seconds. that's all it takes.

Aside from all that, they are expensive and there's a decent chance you might drop it when you are learning. If You're buying second hand and don't know what to look for due to lack of experience, getting a deal on a super sport might be hard because people tend to ride them fast and sell them when they are worn out. The last thing you want to be doing is making repairs when all you want to do is get some riding time to learn.

What's your price range? Do you have any specific criteria that must be met?

I would suggest that you take the MSF course, get a full set of gear, THEN buy a motorcycle...in that exact order.
You will get lots of coupons to use from your MSF course when you graduate. You can use them for gear...I even got a discount on my motorcycle because they were affiliated with awesome cycles.

When you are taking your MSF course, hang out with the instructors during breaks. Towards the end ask them what their opinion is of how you are picking up riding. Tell them the kind of bikes you are interested in and ask them for advice. Use this time while you're selecting gear and taking the class to do research on exactly the kind of bike you want.

Once you get your bike, repeat the exercises that you did when you took the course. Especially if you decided to get a heavier, faster bike.

Take your time and don't rush into anything.
I knew you were joking. Just waiting for you to redeem yourself.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #22
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #23
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Yeah sorry I keep forgetting no one can tell when you are just joking around on the internet. I'm hoping He realizes that no one in their right mind would reccomend a 1000cc+ sport bike to someone who is learning to ride.

Daunte- If you're still in high school, why not get a ninja 250 or a 500...or if you don't like kawasaki, what about a gs500? Or a honda cbr250/500? It will be cheap, lightweight, unintimidating, cheap on insurance and good on gas. If you absolutely must get something faster I would say SV650 or ninja 650 at the most. These bikes are still reasonable bikes to learn on, but make no mistake they are fast and need to be respected.

I would say a 600cc SS is way too fast to learn on. I'm sure it's doable, but far from ideal. You can drive a car with no hands, but does that make it a good idea?
A 600cc bike isn't THAT much slower than a 1000 when you are talking low speed acceleration. Also the brakes are going to be very sensitive because they are designed to slow the bike down from triple digit speeds. To make a long story short, they are sensitive and easy to screw up and crash, even if you are trying to be careful and go slow. They are fine tuned for racing, not cruising in the street/learning to ride. If you don't have excellent self control, it's easy to get in over your head and go faster than you should. Sure you don't have to use it's speed, but if it's there, the temptation may be too strong. Trust me I know. I broke my femur racing dirtbikes when I was in high school and now have to deal with pain all my life because of something stupid I did for just a few seconds. that's all it takes.

Aside from all that, they are expensive and there's a decent chance you might drop it when you are learning. If You're buying second hand and don't know what to look for due to lack of experience, getting a deal on a super sport might be hard because people tend to ride them fast and sell them when they are worn out. The last thing you want to be doing is making repairs when all you want to do is get some riding time to learn.

I would suggest that you take the MSF course, get a full set of gear, THEN buy a motorcycle...in that exact order.
You will get lots of coupons to use from your MSF course when you graduate. You can use them for gear...I even got a discount on my motorcycle because they were affiliated with awesome cycles.

When you are taking your MSF course, hang out with the instructors during breaks. Towards the end ask them what their opinion is of how you are picking up riding. Tell them the kind of bikes you are interested in and ask them for advice. Use this time while you're selecting gear and taking the class to do research on exactly the kind of bike you want.

Once you get your bike, repeat the exercises that you did when you took the course. Especially if you decided to get a heavier, faster bike.

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
he couldnt even size on a jacket and tell if it fit right.
Who remembers random on the internet like that?? that was like a week ago. Hey I have a big torso, it's hard to find clothes that fit right! I must have tried on 50 jackets and none of them were quite right, so I just settled for the one I already had.

As far as the member title goes...I tried to use throbbing uncircumsized member, but it was too many characters. It has absolutley nothing to do with what I'm "working with"

Daunte- even with my apparent lack of common sense, I still had enough not to get a supersport as a first bike. It's just not good idea. Any of those bikes I listed will sell easily and you can resell quick and buy a supersport when and if you decide you are ready.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #25
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Who remembers random on the internet like that?? that was like a week ago. Hey I have a big torso, it's hard to find clothes that fit right! I must have tried on 50 jackets and none of them were quite right, so I just settled for the one I already had.

As far as the member title goes...I tried to use throbbing uncircumsized member, but it was too many characters. It has absolutley nothing to do with what I'm "working with"

Daunte- even with my apparent lack of common sense, I still had enough not to get a supersport as a first bike. It's just not good idea. Any of those bikes I listed will sell easily and you can resell quick and buy a supersport when and if you decide you are ready.

its the interwebz bra !! Chillax and if i hurt your feelings pls refer to my avatar pic and GFY . Thats is all

Liked this post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #26
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
its the interwebz bra !! Chillax and if i hurt your feelings pls refer to my avatar pic and GFY . Thats is all
He's a good guy. I bought him a coffee at Buckees a few weeks ago. He just started riding. He was only joking.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #27
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

[QUOTE=CraigRR;3711818]He's a good guy. I bought him a coffee at Buckees a few weeks ago. He just started riding. He was only joking. [/QUOT

ok fair enough ill leave the alone .

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #28
Cheerio
TacticalCheerio that is

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 1000 (Zed)
2006 Ninja 650r (Doobie)
1994 VFR 750 (MaiKa)-SOLD
1986 Honda Spree (from )

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ninja 650 or an SV 650 would be perfect starter bikes. 250/300's are outgrown pretty quickly unless you are on the smaller side.

You could ride a Ninja 650 for a year and still be learning and having fun.

-Curt
+1
I started on a Ninja 650 and I still have it, its still super fun, plenty of useable everyday power, comfortable, reliable, and nicely forgiving for a new rider.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #29
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

[quote=Nastynesto85;3711819]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
He's a good guy. I bought him a coffee at Buckees a few weeks ago. He just started riding. He was only joking. [/QUOT

ok fair enough ill leave the alone .
internet bullies
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #30
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
No worries. I leave my feeling at the wireless router.

I love you guys

Daunte- Do you see what you got yourself into by joining? Anyways I'm just starting out myself and the way I described everything was how I did it after doing a lot of research and so far it's been working out good. Honestly I would have gotten something smaller than the SV650, but I do a lot of highway riding and I wanted something fuel injected.

Craig- I need to put on some new tires. Didn't you say you and jimrad had access to a machine? I just realized that there is a four digit code that shows how old they are and mine are the original tires from 2006.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #31
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:

I love you guys

Daunte- Do you see what you got yourself into by joining? Anyways I'm just starting out myself and the way I described everything was how I did it after doing a lot of research and so far it's been working out good. Honestly I would have gotten something smaller than the SV650, but I do a lot of highway riding and I wanted something fuel injected.

Craig- I need to put on some new tires. Didn't you say you and jimrad had access to a machine? I just realized that there is a four digit code that shows how old they are and mine are the original tires from 2006.
Yes myself & Jimrad can change tires. I would suggest talking with Bill Drake at WWH for a good price. Try the Q3 tire. I love them. House of paint also has good discounts. I can mount them for free & clean, adjust lube chain. Bring some oil if you are due for a change. I'll teach you what I know.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #32
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2011 EX250NinjaR
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Pm me for details. I think I'm thread jacking. ...
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #33
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:

I love you guys

Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #34
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Pm me for details. I think I'm thread jacking. ...
It's my fault.

Sorry Daunte, I didn't mean to go off topic.
Oh yeah!...when you buy your bike, look at the four digit number on the tires to see how old they are. example: 0306 would mean they were made the third week of 2006. If they're over 4-5 years old, be sure and negotiate that into the price, because I didn't
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #35
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:

After reading everything you wrote now...and considering my earlier response to you...I'm glad I was delicate before. Otherwise, these words could have all been directed toward me in a very different manner...and yes I replied with quote to show what I am referring too! (I think the quote by your name only reinforced any idea I had earlier that maybe you were serious)
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
(I think the quote by your name only reinforced any idea I had earlier that maybe you were serious)
<--there I fixed it. Obviously it was giving people the wrong impression...not that I should have expected any different.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #37
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ninja 650 or an SV 650 would be perfect starter bikes. 250/300's are outgrown pretty quickly unless you are on the smaller side.

You could ride a Ninja 650 for a year and still be learning and having fun.

-Curt
This... going on 3 years and 37k miles on my Ninja 650r... still love it. It just DESPERATELY needed new handle bars, stock ones were horrible IMO. But that's just $70. AND... I like the 55mpg on regular fuel It won't power wheelie, but it's plenty fast enough.

SV650 and Ninja 650r are both GREAT bikes to learn on and not get tired of. Don't get hung up on handle bar position on any bike, research it.... cause almost all of them can be swapped to something to like.

250/300/500 are fine for people who've only driven hondas/4cyl eco cars, have little clutch/throttle control, VERY small stature, or simply intimidated. There is nothing wrong with them. If you know how to drive stick, have driven vehicles with some power, or have plenty of self control.... then you can start on faster bikes. But that's a hard judgement call. And the learning curve is STEEP.

Like you said already... Take your class first. That may get you all in, or scared out of your mind. No reason to buy a bike first like so many do. Get enough gear. And buy more as you ride and figure out what you'd like. Have gear for every occasion, so you'll actually wear it!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #38
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
<--there I fixed it. Obviously it was giving people the wrong impression...not that I should have expected any different.
Okay, now I won't feel so awkward if I meet you in person.
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #39
650ninja
speed is lovely

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600

It won't power wheelie, but it's plenty fast enough.

a 650 will power wheelie I should know. just bounce it at 5k in 1st and up it comes. o.p. don't try this for a while lol
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #40
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

As others have said, take the MSF first.

Then figure out what you want to use it for and get that type of bike.

SS is not very comfy but you adapt. As for "too fast" of a bike. You can get hurt on a 50. Learn to respect the bike and you'll be fine.

IMO, buy what you like since you're the one riding it every day.

I have an 07 R6 for sale if you're interested. But first do the MSF.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement