Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
kxthor911

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 VROD
2006 GSXR750 (track)
2007 CBR600rr (sold)
2005 GSXR750 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to kxthor911 Send a message via Skype™ to kxthor911
Got a Go Pro for christmas

Well, I didn't think my old man even knew what a go pro was but they got me one of the new Hero 3 versions but its the white edition. I was curious if they preform well at the track or if I needed to upgrade to the silver edition. I notice that it films more frames per second. What do you use and how good do they work? Thanks for all the help.
kxthor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got nothing for Christmas. eltejano Off Topic 28 12-26-2010 05:27 PM
Christmas Wish The Trav Off Topic 12 11-08-2009 07:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all from RideSmart - Merry Christmas 2008 contest! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 01-25-2009 09:54 PM
Iiittttttttsssssssssss Christmas Grinchy Off Topic 6 12-24-2008 11:07 AM
pro stunt+pro twisty+pro offroad+pro bull fighter Din General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-26-2005 11:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

The footage you get from any GoPro (including the original series) on the track, etc. will blow your mind. Higher frame rates are just a pain because it's a bigger load on your computer processor and a bigger file to upload.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I was using the gopro hero original this year. No complaints about picture quality. Im sure youll be happy. The reason I sold mine was because the sony Action cam that is like 270 at bestbuy displays your gps recorded speed if you want and makes the track shape on the screen to. Shape looks a little weird but idk any othet cameras that do that under 300 dollars.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

I run my go pro hd cameras at 720p/30 fps (one facing front and one facing rear).

I could up either the resolution (to 1080p) or the fps (to 60), but haven't bothered because it didn't really do much for videos that were bound for internet viewing on youtube, but greatly increased the handling time for each video.

as travis notes, it really comes down to balancing the processing/rendering/uploading time and whether that additional quality is worth it.
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
tonygross21

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 650

You should be fine with the white. I have a silver model, and thought about getting the black. But at the end of the day. Make due with what you have. Have fun with your Gopro. I love mine.
tonygross21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

The gopro hero 3+ black edition is so incredibly smooth its awesome!!

I also have a gopro hero 2, the image between the two are night and day. When I had the hero 3+ black edition mounted on my r1 at MSRH i saw the camera shaking a lot, and i thought "aww , the videos going to come out extremely jittery." To my surprise the video was so smooth I thought it was mounted to a steadycam or something.

I highly recommend the hero 3+ black edition for the tracks here in texas. The tracks here are rough, but the camera captures everything really smooth.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

I run mine at 720 / 60fps.
The higher frame rate seems to smooth out better on a bike with lots of vibrations (ninja 650r and Buell). And also gives me a better slow motion when I want it.

Yes, file size is larger, but my PC can handle it.

Plenty of people are happy with the lower resolution, but plenty of people want it nice and crisp on their 1080 widescreen TV. It IS nice... but depends on what you really want the end result vid for.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Rorschach
SlowPoke

Bike(s):
‘01 cbr929rr fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
I run my go pro hd cameras at 720p/30 fps (one facing front and one facing rear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I run mine at 720 / 60fps.
I have never tried any of these settings. I run mine at 1080. Big question though, what card do you guys use?

I believe mine it's a Kingston 32gigs class 10.

OP enjoy it, you'll get the hang of it, now I use mines not only in the bike, but for random stuff that I want to record.

This city it's afraid of me...I have seen ITS true face.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

32gb class 6 Sandisk has worked on all settings for mine (1080p / 30fps, 720p, 60fps).
Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Various cards. A friend who works at a phone store had a couple of the micro cards, so I have those in a converter thingy... looks like the mini cards, but a micro slides into it.

I guess I need to check and share the knowledge... as I've recorded till the battery died, and also recorded till the card was full... both in short clips and long continuous footage (left it on the back fence recording a sunset). The only time I had a corrupted file was when the camera suction cup gave loose and it fell to the ground at 60mph. Worked fine afterwards, but didn't keep any of that current recording.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I have never tried any of these settings. I run mine at 1080. Big question though, what card do you guys use?

I believe mine it's a Kingston 32gigs class 10.
I have a pair of transcend 32gb class 10 cards I use for my cameras. from a speed and reliability perspective, I've had real good luck with them thus far and have added similar cards in 8gb and 16gb for our hd camcorder and my wife's slr. I think the transcends are a pretty good budget choice, anyway. ymmv.

with respect to formats, I've played with everything my gopro hds offer, and settled on the 720p/30fps as the best compromise for my needs (online viewing through youtube/facebook/forums). I have a newish (mid-2013) laptop with a 3rd gen i7 processor, 16gb of ram and a decent (for a laptop, anyway) discrete gpu, so honestly processing power hasn't really an issue for me.

what is an issue is that I am running two cameras and essentially processing twice the footage already. plus synching and rendering video with GPS data for the overlay graphics. all that takes time - effectively twice the time at 60fps vs 30fps - no matter how badass your system hardware, particularly if you are preserving the source quality (ie, not downscaling). so all that definitely factors into my decision.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
I guess I need to check and share the knowledge... as I've recorded till the battery died, and also recorded till the card was full... both in short clips and long continuous footage (left it on the back fence recording a sunset). The only time I had a corrupted file was when the camera suction cup gave loose and it fell to the ground at 60mph. Worked fine afterwards, but didn't keep any of that current recording.
I've had some corruption issues due to excessive vibration, but repositioning the camera resolved the issue. that is actually the reason I have a second camera, as I thought the original one was toast when it started corrupting the video.

on the gopro hds (at least), you do have to remember to shut off the recording before powering off the camera or it will dump the file. (I agree that the camera is smart enough to save the file when it detects a depleted battery or full card.)

it'd be nice if the newer models had some sort of logic built-in to save the operator from the power-off brain fart. I'm pretty good at remembering these days, but sometimes my teammates forget and I lose footage (like the last 20 minutes or so of the final cmra 4 hour endurance back in October ).
Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
I always record 720 @ 60 FPS. When you crash or catch someone else crashing, the extra frames per second helps a lot for slowing it down to see the cause of the wreck and/or carnage.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Rorschach
SlowPoke

Bike(s):
‘01 cbr929rr fireblade

Now y'al got me thinking what have I been missing, I guess I can give it a try 720/60 today, see how I like it. Tbh, I do most of my recording at night, any suggestions on the settings for dim light?

This city it's afraid of me...I have seen ITS true face.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

lol, speed it up fast enough that it all blurs together.
Seriously though, that's supposed to be better with each new version of GoPro... which is one reason i'd upgrade. Not ENOUGH of a reason. Yet.

<I have no idea what settings I was using at this point>
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
cheefar6
Polish Representative.

Bike(s):
2008 YZF-R6 x2

Quote:
Various cards. A friend who works at a phone store had a couple of the micro cards, so I have those in a converter thingy... looks like the mini cards, but a micro slides into it.

i don't recommend using the adapters, ive lost some great footage because the vibrations from the bike allowed the microsd to slightly move in the mini sd adapter. also when I wrecked and the go pro case broke the micro flew out of the mini adapter lost forever, while the gopro was recovered and still works fine.
cheefar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
I've had similar experience with SD to micro-SD adapters. Stick with the correct size.
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Huh, interesting... thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

I have the silver edition and I almost never use it's extra features. IMO the white is perfect for youtube video. If you want ultra slow-mo or if you want to hook up the HDMI to your TV and watch ultra high quality vids, you may want to go for the black...If You plan on using it as a camera for still images at all, you may want the silver. I could go back and do it over again, I would just get the white and save the extra cash, because I rarely need the extra quality/frame rate and when I use it, it just seem overkill.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

recently got a hero 3+ black edition. i shot some mountain biking at 1080p@60fps. it looked awesome, but i could still tell it was a little choppy. I'll probably shoot at 720p@120fps, especially for higher speed stuff like motorcycles, bicycles, and snowboarding.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement