Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Vintage / Cafe Racers
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Ducsmine
Kyle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 999R Xerox
'05 636 race bike
'76 CB550 cafe

Member Garage

Rusty gas tank. What do you guys use?

So I'm starting a resto on my newly purchased 1967 scrambler. Everything on it is really good, just a little surface rust. Even the original pipes are great! Only thing I need to do is remove the rust in the tank and seal it. The tank is solid just normal rust from 20+ years sitting. Heard a bunch of people using vinegar or a purpose built kit? I just want to get some opinions before I start. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	75051  
Ducsmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a gas tank garrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-18-2014 03:59 PM
Old gas tank aznconquerer How To's and Q & A's 9 06-25-2012 11:32 PM
looking for gas tank ely2000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 04-22-2010 08:39 PM
gas tank whistling? coojo How To's and Q & A's 21 07-20-2008 10:31 AM
Gas Tank, need help... RideToDie Performance and Modifications 2 07-30-2006 08:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I believe Ive heard baking soda
Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
greg328

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2007 Ducati 1098
2015 Yamaha R1

Caswell coating to seal the inside after the rust is removed. Fill it with drywall nails and shake to break rust loose.
Greg
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Tons of good ways to do this.
Word of caution with the "fill it nails/screws" method. Go easy on it. Shake it too much or too hard and you run the risk of lightly dimpling the metal which would ruin your original paint. Also, this should really only be used when you have flaking rust, a little surface brownness won't go away with this method.
Otherwise, the easiest product to use is Evap-o-Rust, buy a gallon at Harbor Freight and pour it in, seal up the tank and let it sit for 24 hours. Roll it every four hours or so to get the solution on all sides and the underside of the top. Pour the liquid back into the original bottle and you ca reuse it on other things.
Electrolysis is neat, too. The drawback to this and the Evap-o-Rust is you then have to seal or coat the inside of the tank. A purpose made kit from Caswell or even Kreem has everything you need in one package to de-rust and seal.
I've personally used the electrolysis, Evap-o-Rust, and Kreem with decent results. Kreem gets a bad rap, and yes it looks like but it has held up for several years so I am happy with it. You have to be very very particular when using it, plus I let mine cure for about four months before using the tank, which I think made a huge difference.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

There are so many ways to go about doing this, for my Gs500 I bought 5 gallons of vinegar and let it set in for a week. It got great results. I then coated it with red coat(o reillys sells it), best 30 bucks ive spent. I was going to use evap o rust but did not feel like flipping the tank every couple hours and would cost way to much to get 5 gallons of the stuff(for me). I also tried the nails thing and it did little plus was a huge pain to get all of them out, still think one or two might have gotten coated, so I really don't recommend nails. Once you get rust you pretty much have to coat it so just do your research on what coat you want.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Tons of good ways to do this.
Word of caution with the "fill it nails/screws" method. Go easy on it. Shake it too much or too hard and you run the risk of lightly dimpling the metal which would ruin your original paint. Also, this should really only be used when you have flaking rust, a little surface brownness won't go away with this method.
Otherwise, the easiest product to use is Evap-o-Rust, buy a gallon at Harbor Freight and pour it in, seal up the tank and let it sit for 24 hours. Roll it every four hours or so to get the solution on all sides and the underside of the top. Pour the liquid back into the original bottle and you ca reuse it on other things.
Electrolysis is neat, too. The drawback to this and the Evap-o-Rust is you then have to seal or coat the inside of the tank. A purpose made kit from Caswell or even Kreem has everything you need in one package to de-rust and seal.
I've personally used the electrolysis, Evap-o-Rust, and Kreem with decent results. Kreem gets a bad rap, and yes it looks like but it has held up for several years so I am happy with it. You have to be very very particular when using it, plus I let mine cure for about four months before using the tank, which I think made a huge difference.
+10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Muriatic Acid to remove rust, then mineral spirits to remove acid, then red seal. Then your good to go for 10 years.
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Another alternative is POR15. We've used it for years with good results.
Don't order it direct, as they take a week before they ship it out, buy it from Summit instead.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Ducsmine
Kyle

Bike(s):
'06 999R Xerox
'05 636 race bike
'76 CB550 cafe

Member Garage

So I did the vinegar and dry wall screw process for a few days. I was surprisingly impressed. I really want to keep this tank as I'm keeping the original style of the bike. The tank does have a couple pin holes. Around the holes feels solid and is not completely rotten. I was wondering if anybody around here could braise it so I could use a sealer after. I'm up for any other ideas also as price and availability of a new/good tank are pretty high. Thanks.
Ducsmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

my buddy and I used "works" toilet bowl cleaner with bolts to knock out the rust and then coated the tank with "KREEM" tank kit.

great results.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducsmine View Post
So I did the vinegar and dry wall screw process for a few days. I was surprisingly impressed. I really want to keep this tank as I'm keeping the original style of the bike. The tank does have a couple pin holes. Around the holes feels solid and is not completely rotten. I was wondering if anybody around here could braise it so I could use a sealer after. I'm up for any other ideas also as price and availability of a new/good tank are pretty high. Thanks.
Most of the kits cover/seal up the pin holes so it wont leak. Braising I think you have to repaint the tank.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement