MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #201
holycost

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCD Nightrod
2002 Kawasaki ZR7

I love your points and objections. Nice to have a good friendly debate with someone of a different view.
holycost is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Mc gsxrcody General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 03-05-2011 09:14 AM
Another motorcycle fatality in MC SylverGirl General Discussion (Moto Related) 92 01-02-2011 04:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #202
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Your point about "need" to have a license is true, but really has no bearing on the point.

A vest w a patch is a piece of clothing, I understand your sentiment. But the general riding public is not in the military, so why should a self appointed group dictate who and what can and cannot be worn in public?

Who made the COC the fashion police, lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #203
holycost

Bike(s):
2002 Kawasaki ZR7

Like I said the fashion police was to keep a standard among clubs so everything isn't chaotic and random.

The reference I gave about the license is no one is putting a gun to your head and making you get one but there are laws if you do.

I'm not telling everyone on mh they have to join a club or they can't ride anymore. That's silly because you have a group that works for everyone a part of it. If you decide to join a club there are rules involved. It's not about what is good for the individual but the whole group. That's why sometimes, and even one I was a part of, a club votes members out.

It all comes down to if you want to be a part of it and it interests you join but be aware there are rules and bylaws. If you don't then don't. It doesn't make you any less of a person either way. It's just personal preference. Mh is a nice group of people like I said, and if it wasn't for the fact that I feel like I fit in better or its more of fit for me to be in a club, I would make it out to more mh functions. It doesn't mean I wont ever go to another one because I might sometime soon but I enjoy a club setting. If anyone wants to see what one is like, I would recommend at least attending a coc and finding a club that is more laid back and just be a hang around with them for a little. You don't have to commit if you don't want to. No one is going to make you do anything you don't want to do as a hang around.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #204
the_laydown
Bored

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Husky SMR511

Member Garage

The issue I have. Is that let just say Joe Smoe decides I'm going to put these cool patches on my vest and go ride my bike. Totally unaware of any kind of MC. Riding my bike minding my own buiness, all of a sudden 10 bikers pull me over and attempt to make me remove my vest.. These arent anyone official to anyone except them selves. They arent police. They have taken it upon themselves to "police" other riders, this to me is horse stuff and borderline illegal depending on how far they take it. Someone please tell me who would want to be a part of that? I know there are probably good groups out there but the fact that this happens just boggles my mind.....end rant sorry..
the_laydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #205
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Holycost, your argument is kinda like arguing w your parents, cuz I said so.

COC doesn't have the right to enforce these rules, and yet they are somehow enforced by some kind of persuasion.

I've never heard of anybody getting beat down because they didn't get COC approval. But I'm not into groups.

So what would happen if a group resisted COC approval?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 12-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #206
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
They'd get the stink eye
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #207
holycost

Bike(s):
2002 Kawasaki ZR7

I honestly have no idea the repercussions of not going through coc. If you would like to then go ahead. I'm not saying they would beat you down but I'm sure they would give you a warning. If someone were to circumvent the coc my guess is they would not be recognized and not supported by other clubs until they went the proper route. The authority given to them is through the other clubs is what I'm saying. The only power or authority anyone has is when you give it to them. Just cause the president was voted in, doesn't mean if everyone decides he isn't worth a he essentially has no power if everyone removes him from office.

I can see your point and I'm trying to make a point that it's not cause I said so but because every other club has gone through the same process, and thus has given power and authority to the coc. Having the coc is yes a double edged sword. It's purpose is to keep uniformity among all clubs but at the same time prevents those who don't know about it the ability to be a recognized club. Just with every organization or political aspect it has its flaws and double standards I guess. It's just a matter of give and take. True freedom at the price of anarchy or order and rules to follow.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #208
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman View Post
Are the Devious Riders W. Houston still around?
No idea, I no longer involve myself in any way...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #209
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Holycost, your argument is kinda like arguing w your parents, cuz I said so.

COC doesn't have the right to enforce these rules, and yet they are somehow enforced by some kind of persuasion.

I've never heard of anybody getting beat down because they didn't get COC approval. But I'm not into groups.

Look up the Iron Order MC. They've started chapters worldwide without CoC/ 1%er approval. There are fist fights and threats traded back and forth, but the most common reaction is that they just avoid other clubs and stick to themselves. It doesn't seem that bad, except that it defeats the point of involving yourself in a scene that prides itself on being a "community" (territorial disputes aside). Basically, you end up wasting even more time and effort by joining a club that has no support for fundraisers, outreaches or anything else MCs normally do.

For what it's worth, none of that has stopped IOMC. They're still growing and actively recruiting. So, yeah, take from that what you will.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #210
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycost View Post
I honestly have no idea the repercussions of not going through coc. If you would like to then go ahead. I'm not saying they would beat you down but I'm sure they would give you a warning. If someone were to circumvent the coc my guess is they would not be recognized and not supported by other clubs until they went the proper route. The authority given to them is through the other clubs is what I'm saying. The only power or authority anyone has is when you give it to them. Just cause the president was voted in, doesn't mean if everyone decides he isn't worth a he essentially has no power if everyone removes him from office.

I can see your point and I'm trying to make a point that it's not cause I said so but because every other club has gone through the same process, and thus has given power and authority to the coc. Having the coc is yes a double edged sword. It's purpose is to keep uniformity among all clubs but at the same time prevents those who don't know about it the ability to be a recognized club. Just with every organization or political aspect it has its flaws and double standards I guess. It's just a matter of give and take. True freedom at the price of anarchy or order and rules to follow.
So, if me and a few buddies wanted to start our own club and wear some vests with patches on them (hypothetically), what benefits would we receive from this COC thingy?
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #211
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40acres View Post
So, if me and a few buddies wanted to start our own club and wear some vests with patches on them (hypothetically), what benefits would we receive from this COC thingy?
You'd have to pay an annual fee, attend meetings every 3 months and get a patch that states the year your club was recognised. After that, you'd find out where and when club benefits and rides would be held and you'd be allowed to have a representative vote to determine who gets to wear new colours or start a new chapter.

Oh and you would also avoid other MC members getting mad at you for not having their initial approval.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #212
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
You'd have to pay an annual fee, attend meetings every 3 months and get a patch that states the year your club was recognised. After that, you'd find out where and when club benefits and rides would be held and you'd be allowed to have a representative vote to determine who gets to wear new colours or start a new chapter.

Oh and you would also avoid other MC members getting mad at you for not having their initial approval.
I think his question is how would he or his new club benefit by being recognized
Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #213
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I think his question is how would he or his new club benefit by being recognized
Yeah, I got that. Which is why I answered the way I did... the main "benefit" to being recognised is that you're recognised. There are no discounts or bargains, you're just not going to be rejected from meetings.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #214
Trimmed Jennis

I'm curious as to what happened in a years time to turn such an avid proponent of MC to having "no longer involve[d] in any way... "
Trimmed Jennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #215
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Bingo, because none of what was listed seems "beneficial". I've read through this entire thread and I still get the feeling that MC's are mainly made up of people with ego issues. I keep seeing "brotherhood" as a recurring theme. Why does a grown man need to feel "brotherhood" or a sense of acceptance outside of his friends or family? Do you see where this looks somewhat childish? Brotherhood, loyalty, yada yada yada... That type of thing is reserved for team sports and the military imo. By all means, do what you do as it isn't my life to live. Just my observation and I could be wrong, so please feel free to correct me. As a semi-responsible adult, I just don't see anything about an MC being beneficial. Again, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept outside of 1%er clubs and for some reason I find the topic interesting.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #216
holycost

Bike(s):
2002 Kawasaki ZR7

I'm gonna take a break from beating the dead horse for today, same times tomorrow racerx?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #217
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

I much prefer to ride solo. On the rare occasions I do a group ride if more than 6 riders show up I'm skipping out.

Just call me a Rebel without a COC. Lol

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #218
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Don't With These

Old 12-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #219
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Most 1% make their money illegally. It's not just brotherhood, it's a loyalty to the job.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #220
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycost View Post
I'm gonna take a break from beating the dead horse for today, same times tomorrow racerx?
I'm good, knowing people won't get beat up for flying non sanctioned colors, lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Advertisement