MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Post Motorcycle Club (MC) Q&A

So, in a continuation of a previous thread, I'm throwing this on MH to avoid threadjacking.

My name is Chris and I'm the Secretary for Devious Riders MC, W. Houston chapter. We're a sportbike-only motorcycle club and despite the "W. Houston" bit, we ride freely all over Houston and Texas in general.

Obviously, part of the reason many clubs are frowned upon is a lack of understanding. I will acknowledge that there have probably also been a few negative experiences amongst MH members and MC members in general and this thread isn't to counter that, nor to offer apologies on behalf of someone else. I just want to offer a chance to anyone who's interested to ask questions about what wearing a patch means in real life to those of us who aren't 1%ers. This isn't a recruiting drive by any means, but we will always welcome anyone who wants to hang out... provided your bike is registered, you have insurance and an M endorsement as minimum requirements.

Certain topics and some information will be classified as 'members only' and I'll try to work with that as best I can rather than simply saying, "sorry, can't answer that." Please also realise that I don't know and won't act like I know what goes on in a 1% club. I have no idea and want no idea. If you'd rather ask via PM, I check MH daily and can get back to you pretty quickly.

Mods: If you feel this is inappropriate or in the wrong section, please feel free to act as you feel fit.
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Mc gsxrcody General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 03-05-2011 09:14 AM
Another motorcycle fatality in MC SylverGirl General Discussion (Moto Related) 92 01-02-2011 04:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

My experience is that I ride freely everywhere my government allows, unless I were to decide to put something that says "MC" on my back, then I would have to follow arbitrary rules of other bikers that limit my freedom. Why would I want this?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Wow, straight for the jugular, eh? Good thing it's actually a pretty simple one to answer. Allow me to lead with a question; as a guy, you have the freedom to approach any woman in any bar, coffee shop, book store, etc, flirt with her, seduce her and take her home... unless you decide to put a ring on a specific finger. Then, you would have to follow a new set of rules that limit your freedom. Why would you want that?

From my own personal experience, my wife is the best thing that's happened to me in the last 6yrs and I don't see the need to go outside of that. Devious Riders MC has provided for me a family and a brotherhood that I haven't experienced in the civilian world outside of the military. I have only one relative in the States and these guys have provided a system of support and friendship that I left behind when I left South Africa 8yrs ago. When I broke my arm in April, the 3 members who weren't working that day drove to College Station to see me and make sure my wife got to me safely.

I could go on about how, as a club, we're there for each other, but it could be claimed that "any" group of people with a common interest could go to those lengths. In my experience, other groups have come close, but never been this loyal. The MC network is also capable of doing more for the community under a common banner, solely BECAUSE of the "MC" on our backs. There was recently a fire that destroyed 16 apartments in South Houston. The apartment complex did nothing to help the families, insurance is still investigating the cause, the Salvation Army turned them down and they were left with nothing. In under 2wks, after appealing to only the MCs under the W. Houston region, we raised and donated clothes, money, bedding, toys, kitchenware and even a few TVs to help them get back on their feet. It never made the news and it wasn't for the fame, it was simply to help out people who needed it. We've done toy runs where one of our San Antonio brothers dressed up as Santa Claus and we delivered toys personally to disadvantaged families and their children. We attended an MC-organised benefit for the Wounded Warrior Program and raised over $16'000 (yes, that number is correct) in ONE afternoon, all of which went to the program, not a cent went to the club who put it all together.

Again, all these things can and do happen outside of Motorcycle Club life, but all those things were brought together and happen inside Motorcycle Club life.

So yeah, you lose the ability to travel across state and country in club colours without first making sure it's OK (then again, just travel without them, it's less hassle), but you gain a community, brotherhood and support structure that's difficult to find anywhere else. If you already have something like that and think that having to ask permission to travel somewhere is more hassle than it's worth then, clearly the MC world isn't for you and you wouldn't "want this." For me, I hardly leave Houston and it's never been an issue when I have so, no big deal.

A lot of reading, I know. Thanks for showing an interest and asking, though.
Liked this post:
Old 12-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Or just be an active member here and get the same support. You get to join rides of all kinds, meet (mostly) good people, Ride when and where you want..
Old 12-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
My experience is that I ride freely everywhere my government allows, unless I were to decide to put something that says "MC" on my back, then I would have to follow arbitrary rules of other bikers that limit my freedom. Why would I want this?
+1 guess we don't get it....
Old 12-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

There are a lot of offers for help on MH and there is a level of support offered by some of its members but, at the end of the day, it's just a web forum and the vast majority are strangers. There are those who post daily and are familiar/friendly with each other (BORC, SDRC, Halffast, etc) and I imagine they have their own support systems and structures, which is pretty badass and probably similar to what most MCs provide.

I've been to a number of MH meets and try to make the Central one when I'm not working but, the variety of people at those events is vast. An MC is usually based on a smaller number of more like-minded riders. I know each and every member of Devious and trust them when riding in any conditions... rain, freezing cold, traffic, back roads, the track, high heat, interstate, etc. because I've done it all with them. At a MH ride, you may know the regulars, but there are usually a few who are very unfamiliar with group rides. Our rules mandate riding with us for a period of time before you can be considered a Prospect or Member.

Again, I'm not saying the same thing doesn't exist outside of an MC and my intention is definitely not to knock MH, only that we offer it "pre-packaged" along with supporting the local community and providing a family structure that extends beyond just our members.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
There are a lot of offers for help on MH and there is a level of support offered by some of its members but, at the end of the day, it's just a web forum and the vast majority are strangers. There are those who post daily and are familiar/friendly with each other (BORC, SDRC, Halffast, etc) and I imagine they have their own support systems and structures, which is pretty badass and probably similar to what most MCs provide.

I've been to a number of MH meets and try to make the Central one when I'm not working but, the variety of people at those events is vast. An MC is usually based on a smaller number of more like-minded riders. I know each and every member of Devious and trust them when riding in any conditions... rain, freezing cold, traffic, back roads, the track, high heat, interstate, etc. because I've done it all with them. At a MH ride, you may know the regulars, but there are usually a few who are very unfamiliar with group rides. Our rules mandate riding with us for a period of time before you can be considered a Prospect or Member.

Again, I'm not saying the same thing doesn't exist outside of an MC and my intention is definitely not to knock MH, only that we offer it "pre-packaged" along with supporting the local community and providing a family structure that extends beyond just our members.
this is my problem with the clubs. I got enough BS in my life sure dont need more rules. Do you pay them to tell you how to ride and what to do??
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Why do you have to ask to leave the state? ( legit question )
Old 12-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Form of self imposed "control" and of course the metion of repsect will pop up.. But you are crossing into a new "controlled" region and if you don't want to get harrassed or worse you better ask for permission..

but of course if you want the real answers you will need to join to "understand" as I am sure this is "members only" info..

To be clear on my stance. I look at any MC the same way that I Look at unions..
Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6R View Post
this is my problem with the clubs. I got enough BS in my life sure dont need more rules. Do you pay them to tell you how to ride and what to do??
you gotta pay too?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6R View Post
Wow, there's a lot of hate for something that you can either choose to be a part of, or ignore. If you have no intention of joining an MC, why display outright aggression? I'm offering to answer questions about something that is often misunderstood as openly and plainly as I can, there's really no need for derogatory remarks. Please try and realise that clubs are made up of people who chose to do something a little different, not "thugs" who just want to wear leather and make rules.

Quote:
There is hostility between certain clubs and in a few cases, it has become violent (something Devious Riders is NOT a part of). When you ask permission from the dominant MC, you're alerting them to the fact that you're just taking a short trip, or are on business or vacation... not trying to expand and claim a new area out from under them. It also gives them the opportunity to advise you of any procedures that may be different in another region, or to warn you that certain areas are dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
Form of self imposed "control" and of course the metion of repsect will pop up.. But you are crossing into a new "controlled" region and if you don't want to get harrassed or worse you better ask for permission..

but of course if you want the real answers you will need to join to "understand" as I am sure this is "members only" info..

To be clear on my stance. I look at any MC the same way that I Look at unions..
Yes, it is also about respect, you say that like it's a bad thing. As a soldier, if I enter an Air Force or Marine post, I will pay their NCOs and officers the same respect I would to someone in ACUs. In the same way, MCs have a hierarchy and respect is owed to certain clubs.

Quote:
you gotta pay too?
Yes, most clubs have monthly dues. They allow us to host benefits, afford donations and help each other out in an emergency.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
supadupa

You could post naked chic pics n these guys would just post how theyve seen better.........
Its the worst thing about this site.

But dont get me wrong i think biker boy clubs are kinda ghey too.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
You could post naked chic pics n these guys would just post how theyve seen better.........
Its the worst thing about this site.

But dont get me wrong i think biker boy clubs are kinda ghey too.
It comes with being on the internet
Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I don't think there is any misunderstanding that needs to be cleared up...
there may be some who are new to riding in general and so do not know about clubs yet, but for the rest of us, it is not a misunderstanding, it is just a choice...I am not a member of the nra either.
I do not know anyone who thinks all clubs are bad, at least not anyone who has been riding for any length of time, for me it is just that I feel no need to belong to one.
the last club I remember belonging to was the cub scouts back in in the 1950's
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

I think humans are by nature social creatures. We all need friends...or a family.. church..or some sort of belonging. The extent of belonging is different for every human.

When you are young you want to be liked by your classmates...
Then you grow up and want to belong to a group of like minded individuals
Some people get married and start a family.
Some stay single and look for other people in the same boat
A motorcycle club is like a team.. Team work and brotherhood.

It's a good thing to have a support system and use team work to help others..

Now when that same team is plagued by greed, a hunger for power, a need to dominate others... It is a gang..

I would rather ride with a group of misfits, rejects, and cast always that truly just enjoy riding a motorcycle...

For the support system, I have a badass family. I have good insurance..
And a lot of friends that will be by my side to make me laugh when I am down.

BTW. SDR is not a club.. It's a state of mind...
Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

Devils ride. Laughing devils, mc, ...boys who like being drama queens and false badassness. Now I admit just a dumb show, but from what I have seen at rally... It's just a bunch of guys playing dress up. But any excuse to get out of the house away from mom and the kids is a good one I guess..
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

Oh and I can't stand the cuts. Pretty sure vests went out of style with the 80's. But i dunno
Old 12-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I guess I'll never fit the MC club mold and it will never sit well with me. Mob / gang mentality is easy to get behind when you are part of the mob, but when you are targeted by the mob, no amount of santa rides and fire victim relief takes the bad taste out of your mouth. Sure, 99% of the individuals in clubs (ya, I have friends in MC's) are probably all great people, as I'd guess armyape is a good guy and served the usa well, but it is the whole structure of MC's that is flawed, unless you are the guy on top.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
....Yes, it is also about respect, you say that like it's a bad thing. As a soldier, if I enter an Air Force or Marine post, I will pay their NCOs and officers the same respect I would to someone in ACUs. In the same way, MCs have a hierarchy and respect is owed to certain clubs....
So you compare a group of people who have died, have dedicate their lives, willing sacrafice to secure you the freedom to ride you motorcycle where ever you want to a group that restricts this same freedom? The first group has earned respect. The second demads it because they spent some time following rules to sew on cub scout patches..

You are not the first to post this type of thread, and MH does have a few MC club members hanging around.

I would like to say thank you for your service to this country.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
holycost

Bike(s):
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCD Nightrod
2002 Kawasaki ZR7

I may be new here but I think the purpose of this thread is for questions not your heated opinions of clubs and unions. I am a part of a union and used to be pretty anti union bit not all people in unions are bad, lazy, greedy or any other number of things, its just a popular opinion either from people who don't understand or had a bad experience with. My point is let's leave this for genuine interest or questions not a chance to try and flame an idea or club with personal opinions. Maybe some of us would be interested or have genuine questions that we would like answered without the hostility.
holycost is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement