MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #21
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanfreak2
:confused2ok. quick. can someone define "a race takeoff" does that mean a used tire or does that mean any track tire like bt002s. cuz thats what i got. and its expensive.
They would be talking about your BT002s or the like after a few races or track days on them.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
take-offs anyone?? _Iceman_ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-03-2014 12:08 PM
what do you do with your take-offs? pumpkinHED Taking it to the Track 1 01-20-2013 08:57 PM
Anyone have dot race tire take-offs ? Fastola Taking it to the Track 10 10-21-2012 07:01 PM
HEELLLPPP - RACE TAKE OFFS NEEDED!!! Candy Taking it to the Track 20 08-04-2008 06:22 PM
Take Offs...... Buck Beasley General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 10-05-2006 07:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Red5

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA
You are blurring the point I am trying to make... If you get the race take-offs to run on your bike while on the track, there ain't a problem as the take-offs are designed for the track... but guys running track tires on the streets, is what i just don'e understand... i see guys that are new, squids, whatever roll sport bikes with race take-offs that they don't own... they don't know what that tire went through or how many heat cycles the tire is on... when the tire degasses, the tire gets harder and thus loses it ability to grip... If there is anyone that can get a race tire up to speed on the highway, then that guy is a moron as you shouldn't be riding like that on the streets with other people...

I don't think anyone is questioning your ability to ride.... just the use of a tire in a purpose it is not intended for... I for one would not buy a used tire as i do not know anthing about it... I just think a lot of riders are risking their lives for the sake of saving a few dollars...
And therein lies the dilemma for those riders. They may understand that they're not getting the best tires available. But economically, it's what's available to them at that point.

$20-$50 may seem small to you take on such a high level of risk of using take-offs. But that same $20-$50 is a lot of money to some people. And their risk tolerance may be high enough in deciding to run those particular tires.

You've got some valid points. But it seems it's mainly an economic issue for those that use them.

Personally, I wouldn't use race take-offs on a street bike, especially those that came off someone else's bike. Those two contact patches are primarily what's keeping me upright on my own bike. I would need to have the utmost confidence in them.
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

when I was racing endurance the race take-offs went on my street bike because the center was not worn and I don't even lean the street bike.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #24
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

IMO no, bad idea. and if nobody;s told ya, motorcycles aren't cheap.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #25
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Umm..Some very nice observations.

First of all:

indoMLA - i hear your points, i had the same issue and have discussed it with many people. I got different opinons from different levels of racers/riders.

I think Frank (Red5) pretty much nicely writes it when he points out that every one has their own level of $$ and depending on that every one is willing to take certain risks.

I agree with him completely, and would probably never track tires aka (race take offs) on my street bike.

I would however buy race take offs, from a fellow racer and use them on my track bikes on the track only.

Romeo - your just a dude, everytime I or someone else has posted some question or something for sale you've always been a smart about it with your cold, shrewd comments. Once or twice is fine, but i've noticed you do that alot lately and your really starting to be a in my opinon.

Yea sure you can ride fast (can you?) around the track - but that does'nt give you the right to be to everyone and challenge them.

If you do read this and want to reply, send me a PM - let's handle it like adults, instead of whoring it. (which you already did when you challenged the other guy's opinon).

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #26
Inspiredm3
C5Diamondco.com

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
Umm..Some very nice observations.

First of all:

indoMLA - i hear your points, i had the same issue and have discussed it with many people. I got different opinons from different levels of racers/riders.

I think Frank (Red5) pretty much nicely writes it when he points out that every one has their own level of $$ and depending on that every one is willing to take certain risks.

I agree with him completely, and would probably never track tires aka (race take offs) on my street bike.

I would however buy race take offs, from a fellow racer and use them on my track bikes on the track only.

Romeo - your just a dude, everytime I or someone else has posted some question or something for sale you've always been a smart about it with your cold, shrewd comments. Once or twice is fine, but i've noticed you do that alot lately and your really starting to be a in my opinon.

Yea sure you can ride fast (can you?) around the track - but that does'nt give you the right to be to everyone and challenge them.

If you do read this and want to reply, send me a PM - let's handle it like adults, instead of whoring it. (which you already did when you challenged the other guy's opinon).

please dont take it to PM's let the whoring begin
Roozbeh "Roger" Kamaie aka Koskesh
07/77 - 04/07
You will be missed. Your dance lives on
Quote:
Originally Posted by koskesh
haha...you better believe it Ill jam carnival music til i die
ayayayayayaya:laughing6
you weren't joking :laughing6
Inspiredm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #27
marlboroman71818
tramp

Bike(s):
05 busa

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to marlboroman71818
marlboroman71818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #28
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I have run take offs plenty of times in my days....for the limits that I ride within on the streets, take offs do the job. Take offs generally only last me 3,000 miles or so and I use them because the centers are not worn. Coincidentally, I don't know of one HOV lane that has a killer radius and no traffic that would allow me to go overboard and lowside due to no traction. For some, it saves them $$$ and when you are young and don't have a lot of money, take offs can be the way to go.

For the record, I put brand new shoes on my ride for the first time in a long time since NW Cycles has offered free installation with new tires. How can you pass that up?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #29
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
bt-002 street,
best of both worlds!
but yeah, depending on the condition of take offs, you can get away with street use as long as your careful and don't use em for daily commuting. Race tires either take forever to come up to temp, or never come up to temp at all on the street.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #30
Inspiredm3
C5Diamondco.com

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750

ebay is your friend!
Roozbeh "Roger" Kamaie aka Koskesh
07/77 - 04/07
You will be missed. Your dance lives on
Quote:
Originally Posted by koskesh
haha...you better believe it Ill jam carnival music til i die
ayayayayayaya:laughing6
you weren't joking :laughing6
Inspiredm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #31
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:

first off when have i ever said anything to you. please enlighten me. and please point out all these cold shrewed comments, i would like to see em. and if your smart goes back and read my post i asked him to come and show me how to ride properly not race me.

and about the last part i stated experiences with street tires nothing more in my first post and here it is so read again

Quote:
race take offs is all i run on the street. street tires suck grip wise. ive locked up the front tire so many times while testing bikes for the shop or riding with something that has street tires on it, i dont do it on race take offs. so +1 for race take offs. oh and in my opinion i think they make the bike handle better
this is what he said
Quote:
maybe it's your riding style that is overpowering the street tires. it's funny that hundreds of thousands of people are really really fast on street tires, but you're not. either you're the greatest rider on the face of the planet (doubtful) or you're not riding properly.
thats why i said that he should come and show me how to ride properly
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #32
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
You are blurring the point I am trying to make... If you get the race take-offs to run on your bike while on the track, there ain't a problem as the take-offs are designed for the track... but guys running track tires on the streets, is what i just don'e understand... i see guys that are new, squids, whatever roll sport bikes with race take-offs that they don't own... they don't know what that tire went through or how many heat cycles the tire is on... when the tire degasses, the tire gets harder and thus loses it ability to grip... If there is anyone that can get a race tire up to speed on the highway, then that guy is a moron as you shouldn't be riding like that on the streets with other people...

I don't think anyone is questioning your ability to ride.... just the use of a tire in a purpose it is not intended for... I for one would not buy a used tire as i do not know anthing about it... I just think a lot of riders are risking their lives for the sake of saving a few dollars...
i understand what you are saying but like i said i have never had a problem with take offs being to hard or haveing a lack of grip. most race take offs are worn on the side and not in the middle. most street riders dont need that extra grip on the sides because they dont drag their knee around corners and push it like on the track.

oh and what i meant about lockin up the front wheel when testing thats when i come to a stop and get hard on the brakes.(harder than most street riders would) but thats just my opinion
Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #33
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

sorry for whoring the thread bro.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #34
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I'd definitely recommend going with a street specific tire over a race tire, take off or not.

However, not every one has the extra funds to be able to buy new rubber.
I used to run race take offs all of the time when I was younger because I couldn't afford anything else.
I'd just keep that fact in the back of my mind when I was riding, especially if I got caught out in the rain.
+1 50$ extra is a lot to me
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #35
level5
moving chicane

Knowledge is power. If you inform everyone about that take offs are bad then I won't be able to sell it to support my track habit.

J/K

Take offs are good for drag racers and poser because they don't lean.
Plenty of meat left for up right riding and it only cost half as much. Let's not forget about stunters too. Wait, that's almost everyone.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 AM   #36
m27

Bike(s):
748-853, 916 (parting), 600rr (F/S)

i think most people couldnt even used what was left on a race take off
properly to justify it being bad. +1 on the center is not worn, and how
many people actually use the edges anyways.
personally i think 100$ set of tires that cost 350+ is a great deal. if you
are paying more then no its not.
and i dont think we are talking about slicks right?
cuz those mich race 2ct are amazing street or not
m27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 AM   #37
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

FACT: Race take offs do not grip very well in WET weather!
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #38
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #39
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by m27
cuz those mich race 2ct are amazing street or not

the 2ct is a street tire, not a race tire.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #40
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
FACT: Race take offs do not grip very well in WET weather!
they work fine in the rain. there are some occasions when we have to use em on the track in the rain. you just cant lean very far.

oh yea for those that say the tire doesnt get up to a good operating temp on the street. yall are wrong my tires on the rc heat up fine and grip fine

and i remember 2 years ago when it was in the 30s at oakhill those tires wouldnt gethot and still worked pretty good

Advertisement