MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Race Take-Offs: Is it worth it?

First off, i don't know if I posted this in the correct area, if not, mods, please move it to the correct section....

I post on a variety of other forums (both motorcycle and vehicle) and I have noticed that a lot of folks on the motorcycle forums always recommend race take-offs to someone that is looking for a tire. Am I the only one that thinks that race take-offs for a street bike is a waste of money and time? Race tires are soft as but they are only good for 2-4 track days, after they are spent, then what is the purpose of the tire?

I think the race take-off option was provided as a short term solution to a problem that many riders have, but they don't realize that the tire, for the most part, has lost its grip capability..... I mean, a race tire is meant for a track where they can reach operating temp quicker and can handle it, they are not engineered for everyday use, which should be the tires you should be using anyway...

I have seen race tires being sold for $40 to $100, why not just spend the extra $50 or so and by some tires that are designed for the type of riding you do? If you are going to spend the money on the take-offs and the mounting and then again on another tire and mounting, save yourself the hassle and get a real tire.... I mean the race take-off looks cool when you are posing, but if you are stopped long enough to pose with a tire that really ain't yours, then why ride in the first place?

I don't know... this kinda turned into a rant, but just wanted to know what your opinions are.... I just think the race take-offs is a bad idea for sport riders that are using them for everyday use... what is your opinion?
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
take-offs anyone?? _Iceman_ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-03-2014 12:08 PM
what do you do with your take-offs? pumpkinHED Taking it to the Track 1 01-20-2013 08:57 PM
Anyone have dot race tire take-offs ? Fastola Taking it to the Track 10 10-21-2012 07:01 PM
HEELLLPPP - RACE TAKE OFFS NEEDED!!! Candy Taking it to the Track 20 08-04-2008 06:22 PM
Take Offs...... Buck Beasley General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 10-05-2006 07:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Found an article that kinda agrees with the point I am making (in case my opinion is not specific)....

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'd definitely recommend going with a street specific tire over a race tire, take off or not.

However, not every one has the extra funds to be able to buy new rubber.
I used to run race take offs all of the time when I was younger because I couldn't afford anything else.
I'd just keep that fact in the back of my mind when I was riding, especially if I got caught out in the rain.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
as patrick has stated. it's more like a temporary solution to those without fatter pockets.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
race take offs is all i run on the street. street tires suck grip wise. ive locked up the front tire so many times while testing bikes for the shop or riding with something that has street tires on it, i dont do it on race take offs. so +1 for race take offs. oh and in my opinion i think they make the bike handle better
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
aznhero913
J.D.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

I think its a waste. Your basically buying a used tire for nearly the same price as a new one and after you've used up 2-3 sets of take offs, the money from the mounting charges alone will equal the extra cash for the new tires. imho, you're better off getting a new tire so you dont have to worry about things like how tread is left, is it good enough to make this hard stop, go through the rain, etc...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36
race take offs is all i run on the street. street tires suck grip wise. ive locked up the front tire so many times while testing bikes for the shop or riding with something that has street tires on it, i dont do it on race take offs. so +1 for race take offs. oh and in my opinion i think they make the bike handle better

maybe it's your riding style that is overpowering the street tires. it's funny that hundreds of thousands of people are really really fast on street tires, but you're not. either you're the greatest rider on the face of the planet (doubtful) or you're not riding properly.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
aznhero913
J.D.

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent
maybe it's your riding style that is overpowering the street tires. it's funny that hundreds of thousands of people are really really fast on street tires, but you're not. either you're the greatest rider on the face of the planet (doubtful) or you're not riding properly.

ouch
Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent
nter

interesting observation
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

ive used race take offs for years. In my case it was cheaper than buying a new front pilot power every week
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Alot of people dont ride in the rain.....So for them race take offs are a cheap alt. some people just give them away sooooooo free is always good.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
aznhero913
J.D.

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02
Alot of people dont ride in the rain.....So for them race take offs are a cheap alt. some people just give them away sooooooo free is always good.
in that case its a good deal.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
bwaahhahaaaha your funny, well hundreds of thousands can kiss my . go try and run 51s at world on street tires. race take offs are just fine. the only problem is that some jack arent used to em and arent used to how they handle. i have no problem with traction in the dry or the wet the only street tires that ive ever ridden on that where actually worth a are the knew michilins. well we all know that im not the greatest rider on the planet. but if you think your so good why dont you come and show me how to ride properly

Last edited by Moody; 04-17-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Romeo was riding pretty good on Sunday.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

^ thanks bro. what turn did they make you work?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
^ thanks bro. what turn did they make you work?
CMRA T10, T12 to the rest of us. The high speed one heading to the late braker for the chicane. No wrecks there all day. Had one run off when a guy got bumped. He headed right off the track and to the NASCAR bowl then onto the straight. Crazy stuff! I did see Ty run off after the horse shoe but the way he rides you would think he just wanted to see how the tires worked in the dirt. He never got off the gas.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

hahaha yea thats a fun set of corners through there
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #18
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by that? I guess i am confused....

Quote:
bwaahhahaaaha your funny, well hundreds of thousands can kiss my . go try and run 51s at world on street tires. race take offs are just fine. the only problem is that some jack arent used to em and arent used to how they handle. i have no problem with traction in the dry or the wet the only street tires that ive ever ridden on that where actually worth a are the knew michilins. well we all know that im not the greatest rider on the planet. but if you think your so good why dont you come and show me how to ride properly
You are blurring the point I am trying to make... If you get the race take-offs to run on your bike while on the track, there ain't a problem as the take-offs are designed for the track... but guys running track tires on the streets, is what i just don'e understand... i see guys that are new, squids, whatever roll sport bikes with race take-offs that they don't own... they don't know what that tire went through or how many heat cycles the tire is on... when the tire degasses, the tire gets harder and thus loses it ability to grip... If there is anyone that can get a race tire up to speed on the highway, then that guy is a moron as you shouldn't be riding like that on the streets with other people...

I don't think anyone is questioning your ability to ride.... just the use of a tire in a purpose it is not intended for... I for one would not buy a used tire as i do not know anthing about it... I just think a lot of riders are risking their lives for the sake of saving a few dollars...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #19
spidermanfreak2

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600RR

:confused2ok. quick. can someone define "a race takeoff" does that mean a used tire or does that mean any track tire like bt002s. cuz thats what i got. and its expensive.
spidermanfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
spidermanfreak2

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600RR

and whos giving these out for free cuz i want some
spidermanfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement