MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
paulie12

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

TMGP Membership?

On the N00b post from 2007 it says I can get a membership to the Katy track for 275 with unlimited use.

How does that work? I don't want to race but would love to practice at a track. Are memberships still 275? Are there additional fees once I get there? Is it truly 24/7? Like can I hit it up at 3am and I'm still good? Can I go in the cold weather if I wanted to?

How often are kart guys there?

I would love to just practice around to get better with my form, etc.

Thanks

Last edited by paulie12; 12-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.
paulie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH membership Boxerboy2 Taking it to the Track 16 09-11-2015 10:01 AM
Katy membership...check! bignissan Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 20 03-23-2009 12:34 PM
katy membership??? Thomas Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 5 11-25-2008 08:11 AM
Katy track membership mcd Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 14 02-29-2008 07:43 PM
TD vs Membership BigComfy Taking it to the Track 32 01-06-2008 05:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Now it is more like $330 for the first year and $300 per year after that.
You can use the track any time that there in not an event scheduled.
When you join they give you the combination to the gate and you take it from there.
The Kart guys are there to practice on the weekends...
they usually get there around mid-morning... but when they are there, most of the guys are easy to get along with and we just take turns...
I prefer to go practice when there is a group of us to go (on weekends) as I feel bad asking 10 or 15 karters to sit and watch one motorcycle run.

Your bike also needs to be track prepared, with safety wire and catch bottles...and there is a max size allowed, I forget exactly what it is, but it is similar to the max TMGP bike allowed.
The track is not affiliated with TMGP, it is just that TMGP rents the track and holds their events there.

you can go no matter the weather, but the 3 am thing will cause you problems with the neighbors, and one does not mind calling the cops and reporting you as a noise issue.
When that happens the cops do respond and give you one warning, if they call and come out a second time you will get a ticket.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
paulie12

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

Thanks for the response. Now are there lights at night? wouldn't mind going there after work.

Also, are leathers required? Could I get a textile suit instead?

Also, when you say the kart guys take turns... Am I not allowed on the track when there are kart guys? If I go at some random time and there are just two kart guys, am I good to go?

Also, I don't know jack about buying a bike to ride. I just want a cheaper option than the track to improve my skills. Could I get a decent bike for around $1000?

Also, thoughts on these bikes?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4181610394.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4215059503.html

I feel so giddy. I never knew this track existed!!!! I feel like a total n00b. I don't even know where to start.

Last edited by paulie12; 12-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
joeybaila

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 3 years

2010 too fiddy

another coming soon....

The xr100 will be better in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

there is a curfew, you can only run from sun up to sun down

saftey gear is up to you but I wouldnt be out there in anything less than what you would wear at a track day

you cannot run the sametime as the kart guys

either of the bikes listed will work
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
tsflstb

Feedback Rating: (2)

That XR100 in Katy looks nice. It's all set up if you decide to race. The bigger wheels will handle more like a full size bike if you're looking to hone your skills.

Get some good quality leathers...used is better because after a couple of seasons they'll look like anyway.

This reminds me I need to renew my membership. Haven't even ridden since last June. If the weather is good around Christmas...Joey, Obed, Rob...let's go run some fresh gas through the bikes.
tsflstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
paulie12

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

Do you guys ever just go on your own or do you normally have to coordinate with guys on MH?

Wondering if you know of downtimes for the kart guys where I can just go on my own or do I pretty much always have to go with a group? My work is closer to that area so I want to just go after work sometimes....
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

I move to Katy in February... at that point the 150 is going all clubman style so I can go out there and ride.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie12 View Post
Do you guys ever just go on your own or do you normally have to coordinate with guys on MH?

Wondering if you know of downtimes for the kart guys where I can just go on my own or do I pretty much always have to go with a group? My work is closer to that area so I want to just go after work sometimes....
It is a 40 minute drive from my house, so after work is not something i get to do.. I usually go on saturday or sunday to practice...
if you live close and are a member you could go after work easily..
you will always have the possibility of others being there and there is no priority assigned...if others (karters) are there, you will have to take turns as bikes and karts can not be on the track at the same time....
I am not a fan of going out by yourself, there is always the possibility of going down and getting injured and having help there is a necessity for me, someone who can at least call an ambulance...it does not have to be another rider, just someone who can get you help if you need it... if none of the other riders are going and I want to go, the wife comes along...
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
3Kracing
three kids racing!

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 NSF 100
SSR SR110TR
SSR TX2
Little Piranha mini (50cc trust me)
2006 NSF 100 #2

We are ten minutes from the Katy track and it's usually not too hard to talk us into riding. I am holding out on renewing my membership for a few more days so that I can get one that expires at the end of the year instead of October.
Proper gear is a must, and I recommend not riding alone because if you get hurt there is more than likely no help until someone else comes out and finds you.
The majority of the kart guys are very nice, when it's crowded though you get a lot of down time because they will practice different classes of karts. So if you are on a 15 minute rotation you may wait for 5 classes of kart to practice. The plus side is that kart guys wrench a lot and ride a little, so you may get an hour and a half uninterrupted. Weekends are hit or miss, but most weekdays are good.

and dad says we're available to do yard work, babysitting, and work for parts!
3Kracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
LoudDowd

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 CBR1000
2008 R6
KX65 - minitard

Anybody hear of the complaints with noise from the neighbors to the board members of GCKI? I was just out there riding my 65 when one of the board officers approached me to discuss this. He wants to get the word out to all of us...
The karters have been testing the noise their karts emit and he thinks that they are within reason and believes it to be more of the motorcycles as the issue. Our conversation went as far as him suggesting that eliminating the motorcycles from the track is a possible resolution.
I waited a little bit to ride another session, a little bitter, then packed up and left after the crg kart team showed up.
Time to repack the silencer I guess...
LoudDowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

yes the noise issue has been an on going issue since one guy moved in and began complaining... until he moved in there was not a problem... and the motorcycles have been using that track for years....he complains no matter karts or motorcycles....
last year at two of the races we did have law enforcement show up and tell us that a noise complaint had been called in... he said if he had to come back that day he would issue a citation... kind of interesting though... he did not have any noise level testing equipment so if a citation were issued and it went to court there would not be any way of proving any noise level law had been violated....the officer who came out said it was BS, but they had to respond when a complaint was issued...there was supposed to have been a compromise made when the kart track built him a fence...
have not been riding yet this year, so do not know if the cop who moved in is still calling in complaints or not... the kart club did ask us last year to make sure we had mufflers on our bikes. how he could decide it was motorcycles and not karts would have to be based on when the calls come in, because most of the karts are using 2 stroke motorcycle engines in them... so the noise should be about the same for both karts and bikes, and when we are out there practicing at the same time I do not notice any more noise when the bikes are on the track or the karts are on the track. as to not letting the bikes out there any more... well they just sent me my renewal notice and they know I do bikes only... and I sent in my renewal already...so I guess I would have a refund coming...also it is not really that large a club ( if I remember what john bartos tole me last year)and the loss of 15 or so memberships would be a good chunk of their membership.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Idk about bikes being louder, sounds more like a disgruntled karter that doesn't like bikers out there (there is a few of them)
TMGP #78

Quote:
Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

yep, did you get his name...they just had election for new board members last Tuesday night...if you are member you can contact them and ask what is up with the noise issue... and Rob is right... there are a few club members who do not like the bikes being part of the club and they do most of the complaining....
the last time john bartos checked everyones id for membership while we were practicing, he apologized and said that one of the guys were complaining about so many bikes being there that day... once he saw our cards, he said he could go back and tell him we were within the rules.. john also told me he likes us showing up in numbers like that, it made the taking turns more justifiable... no one wants to have to come off for one or two bikes. if I remember right we had about 10 or 12 of us out riding that day.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
LoudDowd

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 CBR1000
2008 R6
KX65 - minitard

It was Scott Boone. I know it's a "kart" track and all. I tend to keep to myself and just sneak out there in between their tinkering sessions. If a lot of karts are there and no other bikes, I won't stay long I live in Katy anyways.
It just kind of irked me to go as far as saying that bikes would be eliminated from the track all together if te noise issue wasn't addressed. Supposedly their karts are measuring around 82db at the edge of the track. Curious what our bikes are at.

Got my silencer apart and going to pick up some new packing now.

I'm going to make sure I let Scott know that I repacked my silencer and see if he'd like to come out next time I ride and see if the noise is any better for him...
LoudDowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudDowd View Post
It was Scott Boone. I know it's a "kart" track and all. I tend to keep to myself and just sneak out there in between their tinkering sessions. If a lot of karts are there and no other bikes, I won't stay long I live in Katy anyways.
It just kind of irked me to go as far as saying that bikes would be eliminated from the track all together if te noise issue wasn't addressed. Supposedly their karts are measuring around 82db at the edge of the track. Curious what our bikes are at.

Got my silencer apart and going to pick up some new packing now.

I'm going to make sure I let Scott know that I repacked my silencer and see if he'd like to come out next time I ride and see if the noise is any better for him...
there were some karters out there at our last race taking db measurements of our bikes.. never heard what the results were but if I remember correctly there were a couple bikes that were questionable but they were more worried about the karts than us bikers being able to meet the db requirements
TMGP #78

Quote:
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

does anybody know what the noise limit figure is by ordinance out there? I am thinking that in most places it is 85 db, but why that figure sticks in my head I do not know. as long as we are running mufflers/silencers we should be ok.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #18
tsflstb

Feedback Rating: (2)

I think you can download a dB meter app for most smartphones now. May be worth having. It's a shame it's coming to this, I just renewed for another year too. That big fence had to cost a fortune and I'd hoped that was the end of the noise issue.

The Houston ordinance says 65 dB(A) is the max wherever the sound is received, so they'd have to go to the guy's place who called it in and measure to see if we're breaking a law.
tsflstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #19
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Horseshit
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #20
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

Im not changing my exhaust on my 65 bc some dude who hates bikes.... they run 125cc 2 strokes I would assume they are louder than my kx65...

There was a guy measuring db last race but never said anything to me all the karters there ladt time about 10-15 of them were all cool with the 4 of us bikes we all gladly shared the track everyone was very polite and professional. Dunno who that bad apple is who hates us...
CMRA #979
TMGP #979 F5 2013 F5N & Backwards N class champ
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Mr.337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement