Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #61
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Don't get hung up on the hp. It hits late in the rpm and there is a delay. Not to mention its easily turned up or down to adjust for the circumstances. He can just as easily set the hp to say 200. It can be stretched and slammed and set on kill for straight line action or made to handle as stock. Not much work needed to go either way in most cases.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question/Advice from Disabled Individuals Squoddybody Off Topic 19 01-05-2012 02:38 AM
Does the 2nd Amendment really give individuals the right to bear arms? Petro Off Topic 8 12-07-2007 01:08 PM
k, who's interested in a private MSF class for 10/28 RACER X New Riders and MSF Course Info 25 10-24-2006 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #62
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrini View Post
I have been exposed to them and what not. I get what you are saying. But the above bike.... 486 rwhp on a spirited ride on DOT street compound in the twisties? I maintain my stance on that. Alan's bike on the other hand.... that bike is obviously set up differently. I understand your point that it CAN be done. But its definitely not ideal.
That kind of the whole idea behind this. A purpose built bike (i.e. a stretched, lowered turbo bike) will be compromising with its set-up. The long and low turbo bike isnt going to be able to huck it over in turns for a road course, just like a nimble R6 with track oriented goodies isnt going to be able to leg it out in the qtr or mile with the long and low bikes. The whole premise here is to find a bike with a set-up that covers the spectrum. So, dont restrict an unlimited class, because inevitably its all about compromise of set-up. Alan's Busa for example, like Blue was saying, has a great set-up. Screaming fast in a straight line, and could be faster, BUT rather than eek those few more MPH out of it he left it high enough and relatively close enough to stock length (only 3" over) to be able to turn and carve. Thats the whole point of this.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #63
madtrini
Recent Convert

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Don't get hung up on the hp. It hits late in the rpm and there is a delay. Not to mention its easily turned up or down to adjust for the circumstances. He can just as easily set the hp to say 200. It can be stretched and slammed and set on kill for straight line action or made to handle as stock. Not much work needed to go either way in most cases.
..... which brings me to my next point. If this is a run what ya brung event, and you can't take off or add parts.... he is at a disadvantage.... again. lol.

just playing devils advocate here.
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #64
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
..... which brings me to my next point. If this is a run what ya brung event, and you can't take off or add parts.... he is at a disadvantage.... again. lol.

I get that and so does he. There is always a middle ground. No bike is gonna be the best at everything. Middle ground isnt hard to get to with so many options and available power.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #65
Got-Busa?

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
That kind of the whole idea behind this. A purpose built bike (i.e. a stretched, lowered turbo bike) will be compromising with its set-up. The long and low turbo bike isnt going to be able to huck it over in turns for a road course, just like a nimble R6 with track oriented goodies isnt going to be able to leg it out in the qtr or mile with the long and low bikes. The whole premise here is to find a bike with a set-up that covers the spectrum. So, dont restrict an unlimited class, because inevitably its all about compromise of set-up. Alan's Busa for example, like Blue was saying, has a great set-up. Screaming fast in a straight line, and could be faster, BUT rather than eek those few more MPH out of it he left it high enough and relatively close enough to stock length (only 3" over) to be able to turn and carve. Thats the whole point of this.

This is the intent of the event but if people aren't willing then we'd have to make some changes.

It may just come down to a fun for all event where we can setup some recorders on bikes and see what everyone's got.

Basics to start might be:
0-60
0-150-0
1/4-mile
60-130
50-150

And we'll go from that adding an auto-x, street ride, roadcourse, whatever people would want to see next. That way we could do it all at RPR to get a baseline in a safe environment.

Again, still a feeler to see how many would come out? I've still got to see what insurance, etc is going to cost unless RPR will cover it in a private rental, etc..

How much would people be willing to pay to rent RPR and participate?

Or is this a horrible idea, just scrap it now?

Thoughts?
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #66
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Seems like its around 1500.00 at RPR for a week day. Not sure on a weekend
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #67
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:

So would you then restrict any changes to adjustable parts that don't require swapping? For example, raising the forks in the trees to lower the front for drag and lower them for road course, switch PCM(ECU) maps, adjust suspension dampening? None of those require removing anything, but could drastically change the performance of the bike. Certainly nothing that couldn't realistically be done in about 15 min. in one's garage.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #68
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You listed pretty much the changes I was talking about. WE know its that easy
Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #69
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

Since RPR is an NHRA track wouldnt racers be required to have thier license (if fast enough)
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #70
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

While it's something to keep in mind, I think you'd actually have to hold an event and just see how things actually shake out in terms of participation. Maybe divide up your classes arbitrarily, like in auto-x, where they're based both on displacement and modifications. Everyone competes together, small (and competitive with other) classes could possibly be combined for final standings, but it seems silly to try and divide into strict competition classes before-hand.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #71
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
Since RPR is an NHRA track wouldnt racers be required to have thier license (if fast enough)
Im not sure that they care on a rental day. I cant see RPR going for any of this anyway. You have to be using the parking lots AND the track. On top of that there is the money required.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #72
Got-Busa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
So would you then restrict any changes to adjustable parts that don't require swapping? For example, raising the forks in the trees to lower the front for drag and lower them for road course, switch PCM(ECU) maps, adjust suspension dampening? None of those require removing anything, but could drastically change the performance of the bike. Certainly nothing that couldn't realistically be done in about 15 min. in one's garage.
This is where the streetbike part of it was intended to keep things the same. Yes, you could do that but the intent is to keep it in the same configuartion for the entire day. Run the drag the same as the roadcourse, etc.. Other than mapping changes, tire pressure, etc..basic basic stuff....leave the rest alone.

Everyone lines up at the line, make your three or four drag passes and then everyone head over to the parking lot and make your three or four runs kind of deal.

Quote:
Private rentals I have attended in the past didn't require an NHRA license. Maybe that has changed lately?

Quote:
While it's something to keep in mind, I think you'd actually have to hold an event and just see how things actually shake out in terms of participation. Maybe divide up your classes arbitrarily, like in auto-x, where they're based both on displacement and modifications. Everyone competes together, small (and competitive with other) classes could possibly be combined for final standings, but it seems silly to try and divide into strict competition classes before-hand.
Correct, we'd just have to see how it goes and who would be interested. If only 10 or 20 bikes come out then it may not be worth the cost...

Quote:
Im not sure that they care on a rental day. I cant see RPR going for any of this anyway. You have to be using the parking lots AND the track. On top of that there is the money required.
They host auto-x and track events all the time, we'll just have to see...
Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #73
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

honestly, cost would likely be a lot more than I'd be comfortable spending, but I'd be willing to bring my rat-tourer out for something like this, just for fun.

Anyone want to help turbo a 1300cc v4?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
murderedout07
The new guy in town!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 RCC Turbos Ultra kit equipped Hayabusa.

Quote:
Been 170 on mine on a Friday. Didn't bat an eye.
murderedout07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #75
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If you have a number on your bike they dont bat an eye ever. I used to get asked for mine all the time till I put my number on the bike. David is currently getting by because my bike still has my number on it
Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #76
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

Actually,if they are supposed to be streetbikes,I would like to see the drag race portion on an unprepped surface.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #77
murderedout07
The new guy in town!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
Actually,if they are supposed to be streetbikes,I would like to see the drag race portion on an unprepped surface.
That just means they won't go as fast. My bikes spent most of it's boosted life doing digs on the street. Ain't no thing.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #78
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Have you been to RPR? lol
Old 12-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #79
murderedout07
The new guy in town!

Bike(s):

That's true^. Although I've left on 8psi, and ramped in 14 before the 60 and stuck it.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #80
Got-Busa?

Quote:
honestly, cost would likely be a lot more than I'd be comfortable spending, but I'd be willing to bring my rat-tourer out for something like this, just for fun.

Anyone want to help turbo a 1300cc v4?
What does that mean? $20, $50, $100?

Quote:
If you have a number on your bike they dont bat an eye ever. I used to get asked for mine all the time till I put my number on the bike. David is currently getting by because my bike still has my number on it
Good idea...

Quote:
This was my initial plan but the problem is finding an unprepped surface on a closed course to use/rent. Unless, we could get another venue to use or talk with one of the Mile tracks to run it in conjunction with 1-Mile runs....otherwise, we've got to find another place (legal and safe are top priorities). It would be nice if we could just go out to the "spot" and do this but legally it's not worth it.