Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #41
Got-Busa?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
600/750 is the most popular bike size. Hopefully you'd get good participation from that segment.
If not, Do like they do in other forms of motorsports;
If not enough registrants in a class show up, combine it with the next highest class.
I agree but I can see it now, 10-600's show up and one 750 and all the 600's are he's running with them...or the 750 guy is because he gets bumped into the 1000 class with 20 other guys...

Maybe it would be better to just do 600, 1000, and Unlimited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrini View Post
600/750/1000/1300/Unlimited classes sound great to me.

I'm a fan of stock wheelbase in all but the unlimited classes. But IMO, the unlimited class aren't really bonifide street bikes. Again, just IMO.

I am on a 600. I will race.
This is where the problem is, the intent is to make this a true STREET-BIKE competition! If they can't do everything that an OEM bike does then it's not going to survive the event let alone win. If this happens, these bikes would have to survive the day of racing/riding, not just getting on a trailer from event to event.
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question/Advice from Disabled Individuals Squoddybody Off Topic 19 01-05-2012 02:38 AM
Does the 2nd Amendment really give individuals the right to bear arms? Petro Off Topic 8 12-07-2007 01:08 PM
k, who's interested in a private MSF class for 10/28 RACER X New Riders and MSF Course Info 25 10-24-2006 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #42
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

My opinion is a street bike is street legal and can be ridden on the street with no issues with over heating
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #43
Rorschach
SlowPoke

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
01 cbr929rr fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
My opinion is a street bike is street legal and can be ridden on the street with no issues with over heating
I agree with BW on this. How many bikes per category you would have? 10 seems like an iffy number per cat, because at the end of the day, you would be watching about 30 bikes (10 x category), it would be a long run for most of the participants.

Some test that I'd think of, would be:

Acceleration (0-60 or 0-100)
Brakes (can use the same 0-60 test to do this one)
1/4 pass
Driveability (How good it rides on the street, aimed mostly to the big dogs)
You could do the mpg test, but then again would be aimed to big hp bikes.
And why not? Vulgar Display of Horsepower, no explanation needed.

I did a couple of similar tests with cars a few years ago, it's very entretaining, specially for gear heads.

This city it's afraid of me...I have seen ITS true face.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I agree with BW on this. How many bikes per category you would have? 10 seems like an iffy number per cat, because at the end of the day, you would be watching about 30 bikes (10 x category), it would be a long run for most of the participants.

1/4 pass

I did a couple of similar tests with cars a few years ago, it's very entretaining, specially for gear heads.
0-60 would be too hard to accurately measure with a stop watch. It just happens too fast. Most will be less than 3 seconds. 6-120 is more interesting. They use computers to measure those times though.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #45
ChrisBurke

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZX14
2012 Kawasaki Brute Force 750

Member Garage

Id be interested, i would get drug by those turbo bikes but it would be fun
ChrisBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
Got-Busa?

Quote:
Yes,...but I would add currently registered, headlight, tail light, blinkers, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

1/4 pass

It really depends how much interest is shown. If I've got to rent RPR for the entire day, then the cost would come down with more people 10, 20, 30 per class. If there are only 10-600's and 50-1000's then it would adjust accordingly. Now, we could make it interesting and do it on an unprepared surface and not use a track but that just depends what people are comfortable with...

Quote:
0-60 would be too hard to accurately measure with a stop watch. It just happens too fast. Most will be less than 3 seconds. 6-120 is more interesting. They use computers to measure those times though.
With the new Racelogic VBOX recorders, you can calculate all that stuff just like the cars use. I would purchase the equipment to record all of the data categories on an SD card which could be reviewed for all to see and eliminate any human errors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBurke View Post
Id be interested, i would get drug by those turbo bikes but it would be fun
Depending how your bike is setup, it may not win the high power categories but you always have a chance in the rider department for other areas.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #47
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Currently registered? C'mon man. Lol. Mine was only current half the time.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #48
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Which brings up a point. You may alienate plenty of guys who ride track (straight or curves)... but have something against street. Therefor they don't ride street.

A few ways to measure streetability....
1. Have them ride from event to event (this will require logistics on everyone's part... multiple drivers, keeping everyone in sight).
2. Legal... stickers/lights/etc. If it's legal on paper, it's good to go. That sticker belong to that bike?
3. Slow parade laps at a course, stop and go "parade" through the pits, etc. Basically simulate street, but don't put anyone at "risk" on street, or push away those that simply won't bother to register a perfectly streetable bike just to show you the sticker.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #49
JOEBUSA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

Quote:
Well that leaves out Alan's Busa!
JOEBUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #50
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBUSA View Post
It's fine with both fans on
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #51
Got-Busa?

Quote:
When it comes down to it, I could care less...however, it would be a category that if someone wanted to protest the winner not being legal for the street he could and I wouldn't argue it. It's either legal or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Which brings up a point. You may alienate plenty of guys who ride track (straight or curves)... but have something against street. Therefor they don't ride street.

A few ways to measure streetability....
1. Have them ride from event to event (this will require logistics on everyone's part... multiple drivers, keeping everyone in sight).
2. Legal... stickers/lights/etc. If it's legal on paper, it's good to go. That sticker belong to that bike?
3. Slow parade laps at a course, stop and go "parade" through the pits, etc. Basically simulate street, but don't put anyone at "risk" on street, or push away those that simply won't bother to register a perfectly streetable bike just to show you the sticker.
This keeps coming up so it may come down to doing everything on site and at the track. If it comes down to insurance, that may be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBUSA View Post
Huh? Didn't realize he had issues with it.

This may turn into more trouble/$$ than it's worth. Might just be better to organize something at RPR and have a couple extra categories for the heck of it. If it gets popluar, then start adding things...who knows, still taking opinions/ideas...
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #52
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

If its going to happen at RPR I know a few people that will probably be interested.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #53
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I know a few cars that will pitch in on a rental. Maybe mine will be done then
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #54
murderedout07
The new guy in town!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 RCC Turbos Ultra kit equipped Hayabusa.

Quote:
But IMO, the unlimited class aren't really bonifide street bikes.
Really?

428whp on 93 pump gas, can sit in traffic on a hot day and not over heat, registered and insured, dot tires, ride all day, and still gets about 40mpg. What's not bonified about that?

null zps012c9373
murderedout07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #55
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

Add in a gymkhana portion to the competition to level it out for street bikes
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #56
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

^Like I said... road course, tight AutoX type course, and the MSF "box".

Not trying to penalize the big bikes.... I think it'd be fun to watch.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #57
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Lowered bike may suffer in turning. Mine would not go lock to lock without hitting brake lever on plastic parts of dash. Hard left meant hard stop. lol. Most are not that way but still suffer some
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
madtrini
Recent Convert

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedout07 View Post
Really?

428whp on 93 pump gas, can sit in traffic on a hot day and not over heat, registered and insured, dot tires, ride all day, and still gets about 40mpg. What's not bonified about that?
Semantics. You knew where I was going with that. You would most likely not take that on a spirited group ride down 3090 or what have you on DOT tires. If you would, then hats off to you.
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #59
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Semantics. You knew where I was going with that. You would most likely not take that on a spirited group ride down 3090 or what have you on DOT tires. If you would, then hats off to you.
Why not? You have not been around enough turbo bikes. Takes Alans for example. Its 3" over stock length and close to stock height if not stock height. It's been 224.9 in the Mile and had more in it. He can run it at the front of the pack on spirited group rides. Or just cruise it to Austin for the day. Set up is everything and adjustments are not hard to make. I'm not speaking for all of them, but dont be so quick to stereotype.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
madtrini
Recent Convert

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Why not? You have not been around enough turbo bikes. Takes Alans for example. Its 3" over stock length and close to stock height if not stock height. It's been 224.9 in the Mile and had more in it. He can run it at the front of the pack on spirited group rides. Or just cruise it to Austin for the day. Set up is everything and adjustments are not hard to make. I'm not speaking for all of them, but dont be so quick to stereotype.
I have been exposed to them and what not. I get what you are saying. But the above bike.... 486 rwhp on a spirited ride on DOT street compound in the twisties? I maintain my stance on that. Alan's bike on the other hand.... that bike is obviously set up differently. I understand your point that it CAN be done. But its definitely not ideal.
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote