Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

View Poll Results: What would you choose to do?
Keep the groups (levels) the way they are 33 84.62%
Give up 5 minutes and add a 4th group 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #41
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

People will crash no matter how short sessions or how many groups. If you have two ambulances and a way to make sure everyone gets off the track as soon as the red flag or checker flag is out, that might help. Last TD when the red flag came out, some of the riders pretty much stopped moving... Then when we start to exit, they went for another lap...
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Groups in PMs SpeedCheeser Forum Updates & Feedback 7 09-30-2009 04:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #42
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
People will crash no matter how short sessions or how many groups. If you have two ambulances and a way to make sure everyone gets off the track as soon as the red flag or checker flag is out, that might help. Last TD when the red flag came out, some of the riders pretty much stopped moving... Then when we start to exit, they went for another lap...
I've seen a lot of about schools not having enough instructors or instructor involvement and I'm pretty sick of seeing blame thrown in that direction. Responsibility is ultimately on the track day participant, and the above is a prime example. Riders blowing a red or checkered flag don't belong on the track. Rules are in place for a reason, and no one should be exempt. "Oh, I didn't see the flag" is BS. You know where the corner workers are and you know what you should be paying attention to. If you "miss" a flag you need to drop down a group until you learn to pay more attention to your surroundings.

I've ridden with two schools and have asked instructors from both to tow/follow me around. One instructor was a goofball and the other was more "into" it, but both had criticism (both positive and negative) and NEITHER pressured me to bump up a level. Could I? Yup, but I'm responsible and patient enough to know that there are things I can work on that would make my moving up safer for everyone. Personal responsibility. Try it sometime.

Opinions, ....whatever.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #43
Mace
Wisdom

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

All about the $$$. I,m a econo track rider. I use tyre sock warmers, whatever keeps the cost down. I can put up with some to stay under $200 a tack day. I not paying more and 4 levels would suck.
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #44
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
You could make 42 groups, and there would still be asshats riding over there heads and causing red flags.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
lol 4 groups, that'll be a lot of fun for the track marshall... haha. and if it did split up into 4 groups, i'd expect a price decrease in trackdays. right now you get about 2 hours and 40 mins, you'd be losing about 25% of that and be getting almost 2 hours of riding if no one goes down or anything. or just do three groups but lessen the track grid sizing
So if there were 4 groups you'd expect a cheaper event, and rightly so. But with a smaller grid size would you pay more? You can't have both small grids and cheap prices. I think if you actually added up the seat time you got at those events it would be closer to 2 hours... not 2 hours 40 minutes. I can't remember the last time I got 8 full 20 minute sessions in.

I think history has proven that this whole track day thing is price driven. It doesn't matter if there are 50 people on the track, 1/2 of which are out of place, people will still turn out in droves if the price is right for them.

The cheapest price per lap, in all of Texas, is Whoopie's Race School. In it's heyday there were 25 people on the grid, minimum lap time requirements and 4 hours of seat time for $200 and rarely any red flags. But people won't hardly pay it. They'd rather go to an event for $100 with 50 people on the grid and then get on the internet and complain about it but you'll see them at the next event with the same org.

And to respond to T-Grizzle, I wouldn't be in favor of 4 groups. People will still be out of place, still crash and still cause red flags. And very few instructors have the to bump people down.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #45
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Id rather have more seat time. I've never complained about grid sizing. People will always complain or find an excuse. I think enforcing the lap times/ pace more would help out a lot. When I TM'ed last i kept an eye out for pace also, i had a few people bumped down after Id let the instructors know to follow them.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #46
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Just random idea here, but maybe you could maybe generate a code for people who get bumped up? Kinda like the half off code for the first timers but instead it has their name in it and is required to sign up for level 2 or 3? Maybe that would be too much work

Or just have the TM, Instructors and CW's start bumping people down when necessary.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #47
thebujster

Quote:
What does that accomplish? With several trackday providers, are you going to make a dude with 10 LSTD days ride Ride Smart L1?
I agree with Chris 5.0's concept, but not his application. They should be able to note on people's account which level they are qualified to ride in. IMO if you have done 10 LSTD and are then first time with Ride Smart, you need to suck it up and sign up for Level 1 with ridesmart. After round robin, talk to your instructor and ask to be bumped up. That means you will be in the right level around 10am/11am max. After that initial day you will be in the right group and have it noted in your account and won't have to deal with it anymore. I think of it as a "right of passage."
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #48
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Or set up a licensing system in texas where a licensed instructor signs off stating you are capable of riding in level 2 or 3.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #49
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Wtf lol level 1 and level 2 by far have the largest grids and most crashing. Level 3 does a good job of taking care of themselves generally.
I don't think you quite understood what I wrote...

Level three sees some of the worse crashes, at least from what I remember.
Quote:
I think there are more appropriate people to handle this than then random people on the motohouston board...
those people are here on MotoHouston. Many good ideas and influences have come from here.

Sit down, your rookie is showing.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebujster View Post
I agree with Chris 5.0's concept, but not his application. They should be able to note on people's account which level they are qualified to ride in. IMO if you have done 10 LSTD and are then first time with Ride Smart, you need to suck it up and sign up for Level 1 with ridesmart. After round robin, talk to your instructor and ask to be bumped up. That means you will be in the right level around 10am/11am max. After that initial day you will be in the right group and have it noted in your account and won't have to deal with it anymore. I think of it as a "right of passage."

Except what's actually going to happen is everyone will be "silo'ed" with whomever they did their first trackday with as no one wants to away $70 worth of tracktime.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

06 gsxr 750

Quote:
Except what's actually going to happen is everyone will be "silo'ed" with whomever they did their first trackday with as no one wants to away $70 worth of tracktime.
Maybe set it up so that you can present your race license or payment proof of previous L2/3 days with another org and be allowed to bump up before the round robin?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #52
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

I think one time when I rode with California Suberbike they had gear limits on the straights. Like no going past 4th gear until lunch. Sounds weird but it can correct some differences in speed. Only level 3 should be worried about lap times. Until then your only worry should be improving your corner speeds.

Newbs will kill your drive onto the straight. Drag race for all they're worth. Right when you get ready to hit the next turn hard......yep there they are slowing down to 20 to create a cluster f congo line through the turn again. If you can just bump by them on the straights they can then hopefully follow better riders through the turn & learn something.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

IMO the TM, org and instructors need to do their job and police the groups.

Still keep it at 1,2 and 3. With that being said, if you sign up for l3 and someone notices you're not keeping pace or a line then a lap timer is put on you and if you fail to reach the time then you've got to be bumped down. If l2 is already full, then you have to sit out until a spot opens up in 2. If one opens... cool. If not, it's your own fault for not signing up for the appropriate level.

Set a lap time and enforce it, period.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #54
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
IMO the TM, org and instructors need to do their job and police the groups.

Still keep it at 1,2 and 3. With that being said, if you sign up for l3 and someone notices you're not keeping pace or a line then a lap timer is put on you and if you fail to reach the time then you've got to be bumped down. If l2 is already full, then you have to sit out until a spot opens up in 2. If one opens... cool. If not, it's your own fault for not signing up for the appropriate level.

Set a lap time and enforce it, period.
Does that work, though? I mean...let's take CMRA for example. Pick any class, and look at the first round laptimes at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Then look at the October laptimes. Did everyone get 20 seconds faster? Or was there weather issues? How do set a hard, fast laptime requirement that takes this into account?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
Does that work, though? I mean...let's take CMRA for example. Pick any class, and look at the first round laptimes at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Then look at the October laptimes. Did everyone get 20 seconds faster? Or was there weather issues? How do set a hard, fast laptime requirement that takes this into account?
The track org wants to make money, that's why they're there. I see your point but the lap time set would be lenient.

For example, msrh - 1:50, TWS (Texas World Speedway) 2:00

If you're a TRUE l3 rider you can run those times with ease... Unless of course it's pouring down rain.

If those times were enforced I can guarantee most the issues would be fixed in 3.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Common sense would have a lot to do with it

I, personally, would love to have a system where your login (using Ride Smart as an example) that you use to register for TD's is set to a maximum level until your account is activated for the next level. You could always go down a level, but you can't go up.

I have offered to field any emails as far as people having not registered with Ride Smart yet on their eligibility for certain levels. If you have a CMRA license, it would be easy. As well as proof of registration in a certain level at other schools. If for whatever reason, you are not up to speed, it would be treated as it is now. We would allow you, on a case by case basis, to register for the level you wanted. If you were not up to pace, then you would be bumped down. If there is no room in the level you would be bumped to, you would wait until someone left / crashed, etc. Like I said, I would love for this to happen, but I don't know if it will. There are still some problems that arise with this...like couples that register together under the same account, but are in different levels, etc.

Of course, other organizations can't take registration from Ride Smart events - because, you know, Ride Smart levels are slower than other organizations
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #57
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I say we leave level one and two how they are and make it a requirement to take an advanced level rider class to get into level 3.

There is always going to be a huge learning curve in the first two levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I don't think you quite understood what I wrote...

Level three sees some of the worse crashes, at least from what I remember.

those people are here on MotoHouston. Many good ideas and influences have come from here.

Sit down, your rookie is showing.
Nope I read it and understood what you wrote. L1 and l2 have the most red flags and crashes though. Idk why you would leave em alone

Last edited by r6racer; 12-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #58
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Nope I read it and understood what you wrote. L1 and l2 have the most red flags and crashes though. Idk why you would leave em alone
I remember when I was in level one alwaysgetting with the bad crashes in level three...an they were always right at the end of the session two.

In level two, I dont remember getting screwed too much by level one wrecks...those are the easy red flags.

level two was hit or miss....but if I'm not mistaken when level three rider goes down, he goes donw hard and takes more time..

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #59
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
Common sense would have a lot to do with it

If common sense had anything to do with it, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

CMRA #302
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #60
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
If common sense had anything to do with it, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote