MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

View Poll Results: What would you choose to do?
Keep the groups (levels) the way they are 33 84.62%
Give up 5 minutes and add a 4th group 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
What does that accomplish? With several trackday providers, are you going to make a dude with 10 LSTD days ride Ride Smart L1?
yup at least for a session
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Groups in PMs SpeedCheeser Forum Updates & Feedback 7 09-30-2009 04:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
yup at least for a session
2. Cuz the first is a round robin.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
2. Cuz the first is a round robin.
no they can be followed for a session during the round robbin. you can easily see if someone is capable of level 2 withing one lap
Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Having 3 levels works well I think.

I'd leave it as is.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
no they can be followed for a session during the round robbin. you can easily see if someone is capable of level 2 withing one lap

So now you want people going L2 pace around a congo-line of riders doing 45 mph?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Liked this post:
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

I'd say lets natural selection decide how many groups.

Of course I kid, but like it has been said here before, some people think they don't belong in a slower group and they jump right in with the fast guys, or beginners that think they have big penises and get in Intermediate.

And keep in mind that track orgs don't want to lecture guys and potentially alienate them.

To me it takes a healthy dose of common sense to know when to go up. I did like 2 TD's in novice before knowing I was ready for Intermediate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I say we leave level one and two how they are and make it a requirement to take an advanced level rider class to get into level 3.

There is always going to be a huge learning curve in the first two levels.
Wtf lol level 1 and level 2 by far have the largest grids and most crashing. Level 3 does a good job of taking care of themselves generally.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
So now you want people going L2 pace around a congo-line of riders doing 45 mph?
It's pretty easy. You can pass that whole group on the straights if you think you are capable for level 2 doing 10 td with another school
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
It's pretty easy. You can pass that whole group on the straights if you think you are capable for level 2 doing 10 td with another school
That'd only work at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

CMRA #302
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
And msrh

You have 3 long straights where you can easily get around.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Like Tojo says, leave things as they are.

The owners of the TD orgs probably have a good handle on what works.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
And msrh

Lol. You need to go watch L1 do their round robin again at msrh. A 5 rider + instructor group can easily take up all of the start/finish straight. On the longer back straight your left with a guy who's just now trying to get to L2 trying to stay deep in the throttle in the outside of the kink or late braking the aforementioned 5 bikes going into diamond's edge. No bueno.

CMRA #302
Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

I think there are more appropriate people to handle this than then random people on the motohouston board...
Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Lol. You need to go watch L1 do their round robin again at msrh. A 5 rider + instructor group can easily take up all of the start/finish straight. On the longer back straight your left with a guy who's just now trying to get to L2 trying to stay deep in the throttle in the outside of the kink or late braking the aforementioned 5 bikes going into diamond's edge. No bueno.
I have seen it plenty. They are doing 30-45 on the straights.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
I think there are more appropriate people to handle this than then random people on the motohouston board...

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

I have only done one track day .. so my experience is min .. but I can now have a small opinion. LV1 needs to be the smallest group in my opinion - packing 40 riders with mixed LV1 experience is too many IMO. I had a bad day but it was just one of those days and I was not able to fit another day in this year before the season was over due to work/finances etc.

I wish Whoop or someone would do a noob track school like they do with the Intermediate/Advance. I would be willing to fork out the 250-300 for a solid day of going over the actual fundamentals of tracking riding. The ORG I attended did a good job of going over stuff but it just felt rushed.

My 2 cents
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
I have only done one track day .. so my experience is min .. but I can now have a small opinion. LV1 needs to be the smallest group in my opinion - packing 40 riders with mixed LV1 experience is too many IMO. I had a bad day but it was just one of those days and I was not able to fit another day in this year before the season was over due to work/finances etc.

I wish Whoop or someone would do a noob track school like they do with the Intermediate/Advance. I would be willing to fork out the 250-300 for a solid day of going over the actual fundamentals of tracking riding. The ORG I attended did a good job of going over stuff but it just felt rushed.

My 2 cents
yeah level 1 does have a lot of riders i can agree with that and maybe they do need to watch their grids and limit them a bit more. but i dont think you need to fork out out 250-300 for one day. i think you just need seat time on the track and being more comfortable out on the track, and i know you had a couple times where you got spooked on the track on your first/only day but i think it also has to do with being more comfortable on the track. but again as i said before, if you do another track day let me know. Im sure I could come out there and ride with you a few sessions if that'll help you become more comfortable. I have more fun riding with a friend
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #38
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
yeah level 1 does have a lot of riders i can agree with that and maybe they do need to watch their grids and limit them a bit more. but i dont think you need to fork out out 250-300 for one day. i think you just need seat time on the track and being more comfortable out on the track, and i know you had a couple times where you got spooked on the track on your first/only day but i think it also has to do with being more comfortable on the track. but again as i said before, if you do another track day let me know. Im sure I could come out there and ride with you a few sessions if that'll help you become more comfortable. I had more fun riding with a friend
I think the 30 min sessions and a smaller ratio of people on the track when just trying to get the feel of the track and actually using BP / Brakes without 40 people doing the same is worth the extra $$ to me. I think there would be others willing pay to do that if the stories of some TD have scared them off.

Not saying that everyone needs that comfort level .. I am not going to wait around for someone to do that .. but It would be something I would consider if available. When I am learning ... I like to have fun .. but I am serious about working on the things necessary to be good and gain experience. When not everyone in the grid has the same agenda makes those who are trying to get better via mastering fundamentals to gain speed miss out due to the people who just wanna go fast even if that means laying down the bike cause they were too foolish to learn.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #39
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Not to mention the five riders taking up the width of the track because they can't seem to remember where the line is. If you try to pass them on the right you're way out of position for the turn. If you pass on the left you have to hope you get by them before they have their, "Oh, ...I'm off the line" moment and veer left. If you hot pit in Lvl. 1 and time it right you can usually get one lap of open track before you have to play frogger again.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #40
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
No

Quote:
A liter bike is the only way for this to have a remote chance of consistent success.

Quote:
And msrh

No again. Level one is way to unpredictable. Lots of riders off line cracking the throttle in the straights and the no passing in turns rule make it tough if not impossible.

Hot pit with an instructor, wait for open track and go. An instructor will know in less than half a lap if you're ready to bump up.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote