MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

View Poll Results: What would you choose to do?
Keep the groups (levels) the way they are 33 84.62%
Give up 5 minutes and add a 4th group 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
OPINION on trackday groups... VOTE!

I've been around trackdays and racing since 2006. Every year there will always be a discussion about lap times, traffic, and wrong people in the wrong groups. Why does this happen? In my opinion I think there is way too many variety of riders to be split amongst 3 groups. When you put people together running 20 seconds per lap difference in the same group.... some people ride over their head to try and keep pace or people start riding extremely aggressive to try and scare off the slower riders. It's dangerous and it's not fun waiting around for red flags to go green.

I think a good option is to spread it into 4 groups 15 minutes a piece. That way people aren't getting bumped up so quickly into level 2 to make more room for level 1 riders.... then when level 2 gets too full, some people bump up to level 3 and then it just all becomes a mess.

Would you give up 5 minutes in your session to make another group (which could actually mean more track time if it would reduce the amount of red flags)?

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Groups in PMs SpeedCheeser Forum Updates & Feedback 7 09-30-2009 04:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

4 groups would be great for those trackdays when the grids fill up. The track orgs should have a clause to state on high attendance days, they're going to split it up to 4 groups. More freedom on the track and less chance of asspacking. That's the only benefit I see with 4 groups. On low attendance days, the cornerworkers, track marshall, instructors, and other riders can police after their own.

You can't control the egos of riders you don't know and happens on the track that are out of everyone else's control.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
You could make 42 groups, and there would still be asshats riding over there heads and causing red flags.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
tankmonkey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

transitioning between groups takes time, as well (for example, some folks blow past the checkers and run an extra lap), so in reality to maintain a 1 hour rotation with 4 groups, you'd probably end up with somewhat shorter sessions than the implied 15 minutes.

I do agree about the wide spreads of skill sets present in the various groups, but as long as folks are allowed to self-select, that will happen.
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

The problems with trackdays as I see them, I have addressed on here on several occasions, but the simple truth is that in order to address those issues, it would require MORE instructors/control riders... and that would mean more expense to the group and higher prices to the riders...some of us would be willing to pay that increased price, but it seems that most folks are looking for the cheapest ride they can get, and that results in the type of track day we get from all the groups out there...all of them have the same problems...I have my favorite trackday group as does most everyone else.. in truth, most of us have our favorites based on the personalities of the folks who work at any given group and not because anyone group out performs the other groups.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

lol 4 groups, that'll be a lot of fun for the track marshall... haha. and if it did split up into 4 groups, i'd expect a price decrease in trackdays. right now you get about 2 hours and 40 mins, you'd be losing about 25% of that and be getting almost 2 hours of riding if no one goes down or anything. or just do three groups but lessen the track grid sizing
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
jp129

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
09 Ninja 250R Track
07 Triumph Daytona 675
09 Triumph Daytona 675 Track
02 Ducati Monster S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post

I do agree about the wide spreads of skill sets present in the various groups, but as long as folks are allowed to self-select, that will happen.
Very well said. In my opinion, I think it would be most beneficial for riders to qualify to advance into a certain group and remain there until they qualify to the next. In theory this would make the most sense for safety, enjoyment, and progression, but the effort to execute and enforce this could be a whole different story.
jp129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
The problems with trackdays as I see them, I have addressed on here on several occasions, but the simple truth is that in order to address those issues, it would require MORE instructors/control riders... and that would mean more expense to the group and higher prices to the riders...some of us would be willing to pay that increased price, but it seems that most folks are looking for the cheapest ride they can get, and that results in the type of track day we get from all the groups out there...all of them have the same problems...I have my favorite trackday group as does most everyone else.. in truth, most of us have our favorites based on the personalities of the folks who work at any given group and not because anyone group out performs the other groups.
+1 well put obed

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
transitioning between groups takes time, as well (for example, some folks blow past the checkers and run an extra lap), so in reality to maintain a 1 hour rotation with 4 groups, you'd probably end up with somewhat shorter sessions than the implied 15 minutes.

A lot of truth in this. Also, while some L2/L3 people dont ride a full session, almost all the L1 people do. And some of them are running 3 minute lap times. That means they might only get 4 laps a session, maybe less.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
lol 4 groups, that'll be a lot of fun for the track marshall... haha. and if it did split up into 4 groups, i'd expect a price decrease in trackdays. right now you get about 2 hours and 40 mins, you'd be losing about 25% of that and be getting almost 2 hours of riding if no one goes down or anything. or just do three groups but lessen the track grid sizing
Hes right

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
You could make 42 groups, and there would still be asshats riding over there heads and causing red flags.

1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

They should make a better system on who levels up. Maybe keep records of what level people were on and they cannot bump themselves up the next time they go.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

20 min a session is too much for me anyhow....then again, I'm out of shape lol
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
They should make a better system on who levels up. Maybe keep records of what level people were on and they cannot bump themselves up the next time they go.

Says the guy who's primary bike is a yellow and blue gixxer, but has an avatar on a white kawi.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 12-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Says the guy who's primary bike is a yellow and blue gixxer, but has an avatar on a white kawi.
thats why you keep records of names not bikes. a few people have more than one bike. That picture was on the halffast a team bike
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
thats why you keep records of names not bikes. a few people have more than one bike. That picture was on the halffast a team bike
What good does names do? You can't see po-po 5.0 out there, you see a black and yellow R6.

CMRA #302
Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

names when you register online for your group level
Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

I say we leave level one and two how they are and make it a requirement to take an advanced level rider class to get into level 3.

There is always going to be a huge learning curve in the first two levels.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I say we leave level one and two how they are and make it a requirement to take an advanced level rider class to get into level 3.

There is always going to be a huge learning curve in the first two levels.
You're going to have race-paced brokedicks in L2 cuz they don't want to pay for the course. That's not safe.

CMRA #302
Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
names when you register online for your group level
What does that accomplish? With several trackday providers, are you going to make a dude with 10 LSTD days ride Ride Smart L1?

CMRA #302