MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Super Motards
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
thebujster

Feedback Rating: (0)

What gearing do you use for DRZ400sm

Picked up a high mileage DRZ400sm for fun. Looking at the chain, it's getting pretty loose, and I figured it's time to replace it along with the sprockets. I've been trolling Thumpertalk, and can't seem to get a good consensus.

Bike would be used mostly for around town/street riding; however, I want to be able to cruise on the highway pretty easily at 75ish. Stock gearing is 15/41. I've heard of people going to 15/39 or 40. Bike i has all the typical power mods: FCR, 3x3, full exhaust, rejetted.

Also would you use a clip style chain or a rivet? I've heard mixed matters on that as well.

Lastly; any advice on where to get the best value for money sprocket/chain kit?

Thanks!
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Deal on DRZ400SM Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 05-10-2012 09:52 AM
DRZ400SM Nature's Surprise 4.6flash Super Motards 4 03-24-2012 10:25 AM
stolen yellow drz400sm hbone424 Stolen Bike Reports 27 11-02-2011 07:11 PM
DRZ400SM--I want one!!! vid BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-08-2009 08:52 AM
What's it worth? DRZ400SM 07CBR General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 03-06-2008 04:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebujster View Post
Picked up a high mileage DRZ400sm for fun. Looking at the chain, it's getting pretty loose, and I figured it's time to replace it along with the sprockets. I've been trolling Thumpertalk, and can't seem to get a good consensus.

Bike would be used mostly for around town/street riding; however, I want to be able to cruise on the highway pretty easily at 75ish. Stock gearing is 15/41. I've heard of people going to 15/39 or 40. Bike i has all the typical power mods: FCR, 3x3, full exhaust, rejetted.

Also would you use a clip style chain or a rivet? I've heard mixed matters on that as well.

Lastly; any advice on where to get the best value for money sprocket/chain kit?

Thanks!
I cant remember but I think I went with a 16T front sprocket and stock rear sprocket. It will rub the chain guard till it wears away the rubber but thats not a big deal. Or you might have to cut some away to even get that sprocket on there. As far as chain, Ive been running a clip type on all my supermotos with no issues. Just make sure you install it in the right direction. If it makes you feel better you can saftey wire it or put a dab of silicone over the clip.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement