MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Question 85 yamaha virago

So im debating on buying this virago a co worker has its been parked here at work for almost 2 months, says he dont have room in his garage or whatnot. Anyways i was wondering how availiable parts are for this yr bike and the model. I was thinking of redoing it cafe or bobber. Style. Any input on these bikes and anything that has to do with them would be greatly appreciated. If any members here have one I'd like to see pics or the goods and bads about the viragos.

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 Yamaha YZ-85 TonyWhite Stolen Bike Reports 8 08-28-2015 11:17 AM
Scoping out a Virago Melyssa General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-30-2015 04:01 PM
1982 yamaha virago 750 build. fingers crossed. loosenoose Vintage / Cafe Racers 160 06-17-2014 08:23 PM
Virago question Gee Cruisers Lounge 7 01-17-2012 04:48 PM
what is 85 (85%ethenol fuel) OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-06-2008 07:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Most people don't know about the Virago RACE bike...

http://www.kevinschwantz.com/book-pages/roadracing8.htm
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
If I remember correctly, the starter on this bike was horrible. The starter clutch I think was the culprit. Very clunky.
signpimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

if you get the bike cheap, and I mean cheap, otherwise there is so much better base for the same money. old bikes like that in non running condition go for 200-300 or less, usually less or I am walking away.
I dont care if he says it runs but its been sitting, have him start it and show you it runs (even then its not worth much).
Remember, they all ran at one time, sitting them up isn't good for the carbs and unless you know what your doing, your spending a lot of coin just to get to square one, which is a running bike.
Get it for the right price and you will love working on it and creating what you see in your head for very little coin and then it will easily flip for more when your ready to move on.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Scooter is right. I've seen carbs so badly corroded inside that they could'nt be saved.

If you want to spend some quality time with your computer, start looking for specific 30+ year old carbs.

On the other hand, the Viragos were good bikes for their time. Solid motor with good torque. Not a lot of problems, other than the previously mentioned starter.
As I recall the starter issue was mainly a shimming problem and once set up correctly they were pretty trouble free.
I think it could make a good foundation for a sweet build, just look it over carefully and don't pay too much.

One thing you didn't mention... what model of Virago is it? If it's the chopper looking one, that may present some problems making it look cool because of the chassis geometry
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
if you get the bike cheap, and I mean cheap, otherwise there is so much better base for the same money. old bikes like that in non running condition go for 200-300 or less, usually less or I am walking away.
I dont care if he says it runs but its been sitting, have him start it and show you it runs (even then its not worth much).
Remember, they all ran at one time, sitting them up isn't good for the carbs and unless you know what your doing, your spending a lot of coin just to get to square one, which is a running bike.
Get it for the right price and you will love working on it and creating what you see in your head for very little coin and then it will easily flip for more when your ready to move on.
Thanks for the wise opinion, im looking at it more closely once he gets back from out of town for thanksgiving. Im not looking to spend much on it because i told him from a quick glance it needs tires , brakes and im almost certian the carbs will need a thorough cleaning . To top it all off he doesnt have a title for it . I ran the vin and it came back clean so i know it will need a bonded title . So yes looking at it from a financial point of view it will take some $$$ to get it set straight and road worthy.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Scooter is right. I've seen carbs so badly corroded inside that they could'nt be saved.

If you want to spend some quality time with your computer, start looking for specific 30+ year old carbs.

On the other hand, the Viragos were good bikes for their time. Solid motor with good torque. Not a lot of problems, other than the previously mentioned starter.
As I recall the starter issue was mainly a shimming problem and once set up correctly they were pretty trouble free.
I think it could make a good foundation for a sweet build, just look it over carefully and don't pay too much.

One thing you didn't mention... what model of Virago is it? If it's the chopper looking one, that may present some problems making it look cool because of the chassis geometry
Thank you as well for the input. Im unsure of the engine size or model of it , all he told me was 85 yamaha virago. Ill need to research it more before making a final decision

Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
TXBOLT

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
14 Yamaha Bolt

xv750 conversions

here are a couple more conversions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha-virago-xv750.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	75372   Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha-xv750.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	75373  
TXBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

the 85 is the fugly one. all of the bikes posted in this thread are the 81-83. the frame got all chopper extreme to the max after 83. i dont think it could look good if it tried. a lot of changes happened to the bike. the biggest would be the frame and rear suspension going from a futuristic, at the time, mono-shock to every day ho hum twin shocks.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement