MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #181
Korry1
The Yellow Helmet Guy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS

Twice...

Both slow speed (< 15mph) maneuvers... Turning and not looking through the turn...
Korry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hauling ur bike dboi General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-11-2013 05:30 PM
I'll rent ur bike Los General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-10-2009 12:51 AM
So what do you say when someone asks to ride ur Bike?? rod3rickj General Discussion (Moto Related) 102 09-04-2008 07:28 PM
Washing ur bike.. Amanda General Discussion (Moto Related) 154 05-20-2008 05:40 PM
where did u get ur bike? whosthis General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-22-2007 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #182
Korry1
The Yellow Helmet Guy

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
what i typed got changed and then changed back to the original, all without me doing anything... weird!
Autocorrect feature that the forum has... It will change a.s.s. to ..

If you are logged in, you should be able to see the original version
Korry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #183
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Lost count. Believe when I say that even to crash there is a good way and the right way. One thing that it comes by instinct for me is to put my hands together against my chest to save the wrists. BTW I'm 40 and my first dirt bike I was 12 going 13. That's why I lost count but I have the scars to remind me of the bad ones...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #184
WABFZ1
Old Age Crazy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (sold)
2009 Yamaha FZ1 (deformed)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750

650ninja:
Read these two books, cover to cover, and think about the contents:
Ride Hard Ride Smart by Pat Hahn, and Street Strategies by David L. Hough

dbuck offered to help you pick up some basics. I will do the same if you want. I believe that you just need a number of tips; things to do; things not to do; develop smooth actions; proper technique, and then lots of practice. The parking lot idea is a good start. I believe that track days are for skill refinement beyond the basics, and too big a step for you right now.

The two books above talk about Group rides being unsafe. It is true, because too many times a person sees someone ahead of them doing a maneuver, so they assume they can do the same. Not necessarily so. Also skill levels vary widely. Knowing this, I chose to ride at the back of the group on Sunday, just ahead of the sweeper. Leave lots of space between yourself and the bike ahead. Also before the ride, ask that the next rider stay back from behind you. This way you can "ride your own ride" and not feel pressured.

I believe that obed has identified what happened yesterday, when he describes your not really looking through the turn far enough. You tend to go where you look.
Now think about what Cherrio said:
it kinda looked like you were focused on some smaller aspect of the corner and then when your focus changed to the rest of the corner and realized you weren't where you were supposed to be you corrected a bit too hard for the conditions of the road... from experience you have to use gentle reactions and corrections in wet/slick conditions.
Now your comment:
I didnt touch the brakes or throttle i know they can upset things mid turn, just a small swerve to not hit a truck as i cut the corner a lil short.

Somewhere earlier in the post, I think Cheerio said that you were a little too far to the inside of the turn. I'll bet the truck caused you to suddenly move toward the outside of the turn, but then when you tried to check your motion toward the outside, it overpowered the tire's ability to grip the very slick roadway. The road being damp from dew and possibly dirt that couldn't be seen, is slicker than a roadway that is well washed from a heavy rain.

Anyway, good luck to you. PM me if you have other questions.
1982 Kawasaki KZ750
WABFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #185
stan

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FZ1

Hey Dude:

There is a book by Lee Parks called Total Control (high performance street riding techniques). the books explains in detail what riders has being posting about. There is also a day class that total control does around the country.

one crash. 100,000 miles ridden.
safe riding to you all. later.
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #186
diverg

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2009 Sportster 883L

Been riding since June went down on November 6. Here are the details.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271560
diverg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #187
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

Random as question to Op, Do you ride up and down 2978 a lot?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #188
n00b

Maybe you should downgrade to a 250? much easier to control. especially if youve only been riding for a year and had pretty powerful bikes
n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #189
650ninja
speed is lovely

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post
Random as question to Op, Do you ride up and down 2978 a lot?
No y? I may have resently idk im usually too busy being lost to remember roads, if im not in my area
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #190
madtrini
Recent Convert

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

To the op:

2 years riding with 20k miles of seat time under my belt. 2 wrecks, both single vehicle accidents. Both my fault, and I haven't made either mistake since each wreck. Both happened after I took the msf. It is safe to say that I'm still a noob. I still own my first bike.

1st wreck, was right outside my apartment where there was some light construction going on. Slowed down too quickly on the sandy and gravely area and washed out the front. I was doing maybe 20 - 30 mph. That one hurt pretty good. Wasn't paying attention.

2nd wreck, was on a group ride with jimrad, fastola, and company, riding outside of my ability without knowing it. I'll tell you that before I went down, I was (and still am) totally comfortable with the faster pace that we were going. That wreck was a combination of bad body position, a fast wet corner, and being a tad optimistic on the throttle. That one hurt even more. You could probably learn from that one as it sounds slightly similar to yours. PM jimrad for the link to that video.

I think the reason people are giving you a hard time is the attitude you have about the whole thing. I took things a bit differently and obsessed about what I did wrong, and became overly cautious with my riding. It took months and months before I went on a spirited ride again. I eased back into it, checked my pride at the door and asked questions, rode my own ride, and when I saw or felt something I didn't like I backed off my limits until things jived again. And you know what? I think I'm a better rider because of it.

Riding how we ride, we're gonna go down at some time or another, you're gonna have to accept that. Don't be fazed by the guys that have had 0 wrecks, or one accident in like 10+ years. They aren't you. Instead,you should pay attention to their riding and figure out why they don't wreck. You'll be amazed by the things you can learn when you just start paying attention. Don't focus on being fast right now. Focus on technique and strategies, and you'll find that being fast finds you.
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #191
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

2 1/2 yrs seat time 3 crashes all of those have been strictly road racing.

had 3 close calls on the street due to others not paying attention got off the street and went to the track only.

1st crash i had was @ 120mph 1/2 way through the carosel @ MSRH after getting new suspension and having someone "dial it in" who didn't look closely at it and would have seen it was off if they did proper measurements. slid the rear out on the bike and lowsided. Result was broken pinky 1 sprained ankle and 3 bruised ribs

2nd crash was weekend before first MSRH cmra race this yr practicing got off the race line by bout 6" or so and hit the sealer patch on a cold day lowsided the bike. result hurt pride and $1200 in overnighting parts for the weekends race coming up.

3rd crash completely my fault in TMGP trying to out break someone going into turn 1 @ Denton on the start of the race and collided with another rider he stayed up i went down lol

accidents happen there are those who have been down and those who will go down then there are just plain lucky people sometimes.
CMRA #979
TMGP #979 F5 2013 F5N & Backwards N class champ
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Mr.337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #192
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Youre doing 120mph halfway through the carousel?
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #193
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrini View Post
To the op:

2 years riding with 20k miles of seat time under my belt. 2 wrecks, both single vehicle accidents. Both my fault, and I haven't made either mistake since each wreck. Both happened after I took the msf. It is safe to say that I'm still a noob. I still own my first bike.

1st wreck, was right outside my apartment where there was some light construction going on. Slowed down too quickly on the sandy and gravely area and washed out the front. I was doing maybe 20 - 30 mph. That one hurt pretty good. Wasn't paying attention.

2nd wreck, was on a group ride with jimrad, fastola, and company, riding outside of my ability without knowing it. I'll tell you that before I went down, I was (and still am) totally comfortable with the faster pace that we were going. That wreck was a combination of bad body position, a fast wet corner, and being a tad optimistic on the throttle. That one hurt even more. You could probably learn from that one as it sounds slightly similar to yours. PM jimrad for the link to that video.

I think the reason people are giving you a hard time is the attitude you have about the whole thing. I took things a bit differently and obsessed about what I did wrong, and became overly cautious with my riding. It took months and months before I went on a spirited ride again. I eased back into it, checked my pride at the door and asked questions, rode my own ride, and when I saw or felt something I didn't like I backed off my limits until things jived again. And you know what? I think I'm a better rider because of it.

Riding how we ride, we're gonna go down at some time or another, you're gonna have to accept that. Don't be fazed by the guys that have had 0 wrecks, or one accident in like 10+ years. They aren't you. Instead,you should pay attention to their riding and figure out why they don't wreck. You'll be amazed by the things you can learn when you just start paying attention. Don't focus on being fast right now. Focus on technique and strategies, and you'll find that being fast finds you.
I will defently try to pay attention to the older wiser riders and plan on meeting up with craigrr. I alwas try to focus on my problems but when i think ive cured them i just make them a side note/ reminder in my head, i will take more time and not forget this go around.
And im sorry if i sound or rathier read like i have a attitude i really dont mean to have 1 could u explain why it seems that way?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #194
acjei
aka A.C. Jizzle

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati 848 Evo
04 R6-sold
01 Zx6r-sold

2. one was this http://motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239316

the other was when i went down (very slowly, wasnt hurt) on a new r6 at a test ride lol
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #195
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjei View Post
2. one was this http://motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239316

the other was when i went down (very slowly, wasnt hurt) on a new r6 at a test ride lol
don't mean to me mean but that sounds funny
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #196
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Posted to you on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650ninja View Post
Thanks man i do try to ride carful most of the time. I probably do need some help though. And going fast on the hwy isnt not to bright but i was riding home with A duc 1100s streetfighter and we kinda corrupted each other into going way to fast. And he has kids too so he knows he shouldnt do it just like i do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
You've had four wrecks in a year, let someone goad you into riding "too fast," and you wonder why you keep crashing?

If you don't have the self-discipline to control your right wrist so that you stay within your skill level you need to get a slower bike (or quit riding entirely). You know you lack experience and claim to want advice, but your juvenile attitude about your lack of self control state otherwise. If you don't wake up, you're going to be the subject of a rider down (permanently) thread.

If you want to quit crashing and become a better rider the first thing you need to do is settle the f@ck down when you're in the saddle. Learn some self control. It sounds to me like you give in to peer pressure way too easily, so I'd actually suggest a solo ride just in case someone faster tempts you. Ride to Yankees and back, but never go faster than 10 over posted in the straights and turns. I don't care how tempting the straights are...if the speed limit is 50, you go 60. This will give you time to pay attention to what you are doing and the mistakes you are making. If you can't hold a steady line through turns at those speeds you have no business going faster. When you get CONSISTENTLY smooth at 10-over, THEN you can speed up to 15-over.

Texlurch gave you some of the best advice you'll ever need. Know your abilities and know your machine. You don't know either, but you can change that.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #197
pinball
I got slow

Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Thanks, Josh. Saw the comment & responded. Didn't realize it was in the stunting thread.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #198
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
Youre doing 120mph halfway through the carousel?

yes at race pace i would enter the carosel around 130-135 and exit around 110. theres plenty of peole who do this or faster then me.

if your running under 1:47 or below you should be carrying these kind of speeds

since i crashed i slowed down alot and then since sold my race bikes.

had my fun in the sun now time to move on
CMRA #979
TMGP #979 F5 2013 F5N & Backwards N class champ
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Mr.337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #199
j_e_hurst
Josh

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

You hit the nail on the head. Self discipline, self control, peer pressure, and letting other riders pull you in by trying to follow them at the speeds they're going.

You're not going to lose any cool points for not being as fast as others. There are A LOT of other riders faster than me. Do I want to be faster? Of course! But I want to do it without crashing (more than I already have ) at this point you just need to slow down and concentrate on being a "better" rider.

Last edited by j_e_hurst; 11-19-2013 at 09:04 PM.
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #200
j_e_hurst
Josh

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.337 View Post
yes at race pace i would enter the carosel around 130-135 and exit around 110. theres plenty of peole who do this or faster then me.

if your running under 1:47 or below you should be carrying these kind of speeds

since i crashed i slowed down alot and then since sold my race bikes.

had my fun in the sun now time to move on
I entered around 130-140 once. Then the front tucked

Advertisement