Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Michelin Power Slick Review

This last Sunday I ran with a set of Michelin Power Slicks for the first time and thought I would post an initial review. Before the whole RTS Track Services take over of Dunlop here in Texas, I had wanted to try the Michelin brand. And after they walked out on Whoopies contract, I definitely wanted to try another brand. And with him switching to Michelin, it was all but a done deal. Before this I had used the Dunlop DOT's, Dunlop Slicks and the Pirelli SC2 slicks, and all three performed fine, no complaints.

The first session I went out, there was too much pressure in them, and I didn't feel comfortable at all. I came in and Whoopie had me drop 2 pounds of pressure for the next session. I went out in the 2nd session and immediately, things were a lot better, I had more confidence with braking into the corner and carrying more lean angle. I beat my personal best by 2 seconds, but we noticed there was some cold tearing in the rear, pressure was still too high!

Whoopie had me pull the rear wheel off and he flipped it to keep the cold tearing from ruining the tire, so I missed a session, no big deal. My 3rd session, they felt great, I could do no wrong with them and dropped another second off my personal best time. So in 1 day, after having not been to MSRH in a couple of months, I had dropped my personal best from 1:50 to 1:47 Flat.

As the day wore on, with more sessions, I stayed very close to the 1:47 lap time despite a busy track and traffic. I started to carrying more lean angle in the carousel than ever before, and made what I thought was a fairly big break through in my riding. The tire profile allows the bike to drop into a corner very quickly, but not so much that it was uncomfortable. In the chicanes, the bike flipped back and forth very quickly. That was the biggest improvement I noticed was the so called flickability of the tires, simply add counter steering and the bike responded faster than it had with the other two brands.

My day ended with a blown 4th gear, but I went home with a smile on my face having so easily beaten my personal bests at MSRH. Whoopie helped me adjust the geometry and suspension throughout the day, and every time the bike and tires felt better. The Michelin tire is definitely different from the other three in construction and profile, and it delivered exactly what I had hoped it would. I have my tire for 2014, I cannot wait for next years season. Big thanks to Whoopie for all the track side help with getting things right, and helping me diagnose the different issues I was having with my bike not related to the tires.
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote