MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Discman7374

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-10R(Track)
2009 ZX-10R
1998 ZX-7R(Sold)
1987 Honda Shadow 700(Sold)

Very interesting insight, it's greatly appreciated thanks for entertaining my ignorance!
Discman7374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good/reputable dyno tuner needed you da man General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-29-2009 09:04 AM
Dyno tuning? kooguysracing Performance and Modifications 31 02-13-2009 01:06 AM
Best dyno tuning Somebody1010 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 03-08-2007 08:59 PM
dyno tuning? jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-30-2006 10:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

ps- make sure you have AIS block off plates, or your AFR will be tweaked
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #23
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

I normally set the AFR at 13.2:1 low and mid and 13:1 on top end.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
gixxre750

Feedback Rating: (2)

That's the most common afr
gixxre750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
I normally set the AFR at 13.2:1 low and mid and 13:1 on top end.
That's a good target AFR for most inline 4's.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
ELSpurgeO
Jeremy

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 R6
04 R6
02 R6
06 ZX10 *SOLD* 05 ZX636 *SOLD*
04 CBR1000RR *SOLD* 99 ZX9 *RIP*

I also suggest Freddy at eastside honda. Bonus is its about 5 minutes from Royal Purple. My bro-in-law Jason is working with that dyno now also.
ELSpurgeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
Got-Busa?

I disagree....the auto tuners are only good for minor changes AT THE TRACK with an already somewhat tuned bike! If you start with a stock map on a heavily modded bike and try to auto tune you are either going to melt something or have a really tune.

Also, 13.2 or leaner is going to get you a high dyno number but in reality you're going to have a slower bike on the track. Get with a real tuner or go see Johnny Cheese and he'll show you the difference if you don't understand the basics...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #28
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Mine was tuned for nitrous after the 1441 build. Billy couldn't see any changes that he could make when I took it in to double check the tune. It worked like a champ for me. I made changes with the auto at least 15 x before the dyno.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #29
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

The key with heavily modded na motors is to start pretty rich and work from there.
Once you have a good base map than you can play with lower afr's at the track if you're chasing ET's.
that said, for 99% of street bikes auto tune os a great alternative to dyno tuning.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
Got-Busa?

I know a couple people that started with the auto tuner and worked for weeks on the street perfecting the tune and getting it correct (so they thought)....one pull on Johnny's Dyno showed another story. Wide open throttle wasn't far off A/F wise but ride-ability and on/off throttle wasn't even in the ball park. This resulted in PEAK power being WAY down from what it should have been because the entire map was complete WRONG. Once he started tuning over, load, on/off, etc. and getting everything REALLY TUNED....the bike picked up almost 10whp PEAK!!

So ya, the A/F was okay wide open but NOTHING else about the map was even close which resulted in the bike being a complete DOG and riding like around tow and roll-on's...

A real tuner will explain this. I've seen to many guys (so called tuners, dyno owners, whatever) that throw a bike on the dyno and make a wide open throttle pull. They just look at the peak line/air fuel when in reality there is WAY more to the map and tune then that. This is where a good tuner is worth his weight in gold,....especially if you have a Turbo or Nitrous bike that you don't want melted or blown up. For everyone else that spends 99% of the time in the lower RPM, the tune will be worth even more since the bike will actually work down low everyday. Smooth throttle transition, GOOD gas mileage, cooler temps, etc...etc..and actually PULL up top!

By all means, buy what you want and install what you want....I liked going faster than others with less mods and money in my bike because the most important part...the TUNE is/was overlooked!

Have a good week everyone...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Doesn't make sense.
If WOT wasn't far off, why were the other tables?
Unless the target AFR's inputted into the auto tuner for the lower tables were incorrect, they should fill properly.

Dyno tuning works the same way an auto tuner does, it searches for a optimal AFR inputted/chosen by the dyno operator.
The only benefit a dyno offers is determining IF the target ratio is optimal or not.
Most dyno operators are not going to spend the time necessary to determine optimum AFR across all throttle scales and all rpms.

And yes, I agree, most dyno operators only map the 100% throttle/WOT part of the map by doing a few WOT pulls on the dyno.
Obviously they're not going to be able to accurately fill the lower tables.

The other issues you get into with a normal street ridden bike, particularly at lower throttle settings, is that the dyno does not always do a good job of real life road simulation/load at partial settings. Nor does it always work put that the optimum AFR for max power at say 20% throttle @ 3500 rpm is the best AFR for rideability.

Last, Johnny is a very talented dyno tuner, I've recommended him to a number of my customers and he takes the requisite time to map their bike correctly and charges accordingly.
That said, as I stated earlier, for 99% of the street riders w/stock - semyi stock motorcycles, auto tuning is a very viable option and great tool when used properly.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090