MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
dboi
r1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

how to deal with non motorcyclists

I just wanted some opinions on how most guys /girls deal with non motorcyclists heres my short story on way to work today 430am on 610 I past on my co-workers office lady whos past husband had passed from crash on harley yrs ago well I passed her at 100 empty freeway on a turn heading towards ship channel once I got to work she pulls in few mins later was that you u crazy ur ur gonna die riding like that . I kept my mouth shut out of of respect because I know her story but sure enough supervisors had to speak there opinions soon after which I told them I won't discuss this its pointless in my opinion cuz most ppl iv met either think anyone on motorcycle will die or they love um how do yall handle talking to people ....sry so long
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maybe they could make this for us motorcyclists too? Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 11-13-2013 04:13 PM
New Motorcyclists Class - On The Course KingwoodHarley How To's and Q & A's 9 03-02-2012 10:57 PM
Cagers can not see motorcyclists grsa Off Topic 14 05-05-2011 09:05 AM
Helping motorcyclists cogs69 Off Topic 12 12-17-2010 11:38 AM
famous motorcyclists RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-20-2009 11:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

I usually tell them that there are Lambs and Lions in this world. The Lambs are so scared of dying they forget to live and the Lions live life. I wanna die a Lion unafraid of the choices I make and the life I choose to live.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

If you passed her, the freeway wasn't empty... that you were doing a buck+, you probably caught her by surprise. Take the tongue lashing and keep your mouth shut.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Agreed on the loins

Well there was her nd one other car
Nd maybe I was going lil faster then 100 she said she was doing 80 I really didn't think I was going that fast lol guess the buell likes the cold
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Yes, the Buell DOES like the cold. Yours also has a windscreen.... which must help. I'm too cold above 65, and too windy over 100.

Never had anyone see me ride (other than pull out of parking lot). LOTs of words of caution, and things like "it's way too dangerous in Houston for bikes"... but I thank them, tell them I'm safe, head on a swivel, and move on with the conversation.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboi View Post
I just wanted some opinions on how most guys /girls deal with non motorcyclists heres my short story on way to work today 430am on 610 I past on my co-workers office lady whos past husband had passed from crash on harley yrs ago well I passed her at 100 empty freeway on a turn heading towards ship channel once I got to work she pulls in few mins later was that you u crazy ur ur gonna die riding like that . I kept my mouth shut out of of respect because I know her story but sure enough supervisors had to speak there opinions soon after which I told them I won't discuss this its pointless in my opinion cuz most ppl iv met either think anyone on motorcycle will die or they love um how do yall handle talking to people ....sry so long
Trying to read this post is like watching a fat lady in a bikini scratching her nails against a chalkboard. Think about that for a second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

It depends which angle they're coming from. I've had encounters with some that were only looking for a confrontation and some that seem truely concerned about safety. Niether are going to change their opinion(s) so unless I see an entertainment value looming, I just nod my head in agreement with them.

Brad
Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

I passed my manager, co-workers, and some classmates on the roads before and they always give me the same speech to. You look dangerous, or your going to die. For the most part I either say nothing or say that I rather die have a little fun and enjoying life rather than trying to live in a bubble of fear. Plus even in my msf class the instructor told us that for the most part we should be going faster then the flow of traffic(not nessarly doing triple digits everywhere we go) and so non riders don't always realize that some of the things that we do may look dangerous but in some ways are actually safer to do.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Yes, the Buell DOES like the cold. Yours also has a windscreen.... which must help. I'm too cold above 65, and too windy over 100.

Never had anyone see me ride (other than pull out of parking lot). LOTs of words of caution, and things like "it's way too dangerous in Houston for bikes"... but I thank them, tell them I'm safe, head on a swivel, and move on with the conversation.
Ya im learning this shes screams lil better in the cooler weather although so do I teeth chattering lol
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
It depends which angle they're coming from. I've had encounters with some that were only looking for a confrontation and some that seem truely concerned about safety. Niether are going to change their opinion(s) so unless I see an entertainment value looming, I just nod my head in agreement with them.

Brad
Ya I she was concerned more then anything I believe but I just kept quit it was similar to my moms speech when she found out I bought a bike

Mybad kdogg lol
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
cyon

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Boom!! To post #2 & #3. To lazy to read anymore.
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
cyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
I passed my manager, co-workers, and some classmates on the roads before and they always give me the same speech to. You look dangerous, or your going to die. For the most part I either say nothing or say that I rather die have a little fun and enjoying life rather than trying to live in a bubble of fear. Plus even in my msf class the instructor told us that for the most part we should be going faster then the flow of traffic(not nessarly doing triple digits everywhere we go) and so non riders don't always realize that some of the things that we do may look dangerous but in some ways are actually safer to do.
Lol ya im sure ur faster then me though
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
paulie12

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

Quote:
excuse my ignorance but what the is pbutt and clbutt? I've seen pbutt thrown around here and there and this old man can't even find it on google.
paulie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
Coolhandsluke

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr 600
01 XR50 mini tard
01 XR650R SM
01 KDX 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie12 View Post
excuse my ignorance but what the is pbutt and clbutt? I've seen pbutt thrown around here and there and this old man can't even find it on google.
+1 lol,

I just chalked it up to some kind of #yolo #swaggetry at first but I don't think it's that anymore.
Coolhandsluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Is it not obvious? it's clearly a potty mouth filter for the forums. If you logged in while you were lurking you wouldn't see pbutt, clbutt, pbuttenger, naughtyg... etc...
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Pbutt? Wtf are you talking about
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
dboi
r1

Bike(s):
09 buell xb12r. ( sold )
09 r1 ( sold )

Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
Is it not obvious? it's clearly a potty mouth filter for the forums. If you logged in while you were lurking you wouldn't see pbutt, clbutt, pbuttenger, naughtyg... etc...
I kind of figured thats what they where for. But never fully understood why they just started to pop up out of know where. I just figured it was MH coming up with is own language. Just log out and looked at my post and I had them on my post even though I did not use bad language.

Last edited by Donte; 11-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
paulie12

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Pbutt? Wtf are you talking about
Log out and look at this thread. "Class" translate to clbutt and pass translates to pbutt or some like that. So strange.
paulie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
I kind of figured thats what they where for. But never fully understood why they just started to pop up out of know where. I just figured it was MH coming up with is own language. Just log out and looked at my post and I had them on my post even though I did not use bad language.
Yeah, the language filter will do that when you don't know how to set it up.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement