MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
HoustonGSXR

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR
06 GSXR1000
06 CBR600RR
07 ZZR600
00 ZR750

Would you ride in uniform?

A friend of mine sent me this pic of a security/law enforcement officer in uniform riding an R1. My friend said the guy was weaving in and out on traffic and revving his engine like he was cool. My question is "would you ride if you were in uniform?" Think about role model as that's what civilian look at it.

To me, it's weird to ride in uniform with all the gear your wearing. People would be looking at you and watching you to see if you would break any traffic law. There are also Cops haters who would rear end you and say it's an accident.

What's your thought if you were an officer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	73538  
HoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Officer asked not to wear uniform/gun to drop off his kid RACER X The Circus 48 10-14-2013 10:50 PM
"LOL texting while on patrol in my motorcycle what u doin? LOL full uniform 2 Ready darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-28-2013 08:24 AM
Navy's new Uniform lanzer913 Off Topic 21 06-23-2009 06:28 PM
Military and Veterans not in Uniform can now Salute the Flag Ogre Off Topic 17 02-08-2009 04:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
K6GsxR

Bike(s):
I can ride my bike with no handle bars

If I was a cop no. He's probably not a real cop it's Halloween maybe a costume? And I'm guessing you must be a cop?
K6GsxR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
EquinsuOcha

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 R6

If I were a cop? Eh maybe, but don't thy have lockers and change at work?
Security guard: yes
Military: not in full dress but in fatigues (unless against rules)
Surgeon: would probably look weird
Zookeeper: yes, and I would wear short shorts
Football player: might be kinda tough

But I am none of those things so that's just speculation
EquinsuOcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

There are a bunch of people who hate peace officers. .... That guy clearly wasn't on the clock. He wasn't " representing " anything. Not sure why people assume just because they have a uniform on they represent someone. If i work at mcdonalds, and on my way home kill someone, not a soul says " OMG Mcdonalds supports this ". It always seems to just happen with cops. Id totally ride that way, and he should to. Revving his engine, weaving in and out of traffic... So basically, he was driving like the other 90% of the people who ride bikes. Id tell those people who to stfu and keep paying taxes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
There are a bunch of people who hate peace officers. .... That guy clearly wasn't on the clock. He wasn't " representing " anything. Not sure why people assume just because they have a uniform on they represent someone. If i work at mcdonalds, and on my way home kill someone, not a soul says " OMG Mcdonalds supports this ". It always seems to just happen with cops. Id totally ride that way, and he should to. Revving his engine, weaving in and out of traffic... So basically, he was driving like the other 90% of the people who ride bikes. Id tell those people who to stfu and keep paying taxes
A LEO or firefighter "off the clock" can't stop by a bar on his way home and have a drink in uniform.

Bet.

Uniformed civil service members have a code of conduct...even for off duty. There's almost always a "You will not do anything while off duty that reflects negatively on the city and department" clause.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
A LEO or firefighter "off the clock" can't stop by a bar on his way home and have a drink in uniform.

Bet.

Uniformed civil service members have a code of conduct...even for off duty. There's almost always a "You will not do anything while off duty that reflects negatively on the city and department" clause.
Speeding is illigal, but because traffic generally goes over by about 10 , it's considered " the way it's done " , that's just the way society has left it.

Driving a motorcycle like again, 90% of the way society does it, isn't considered wrong. Clause or no clause, If i see a cop doing it, i'll look to my wife and be like, that guys an , just like I would for anyone else doing it. Holds no significance that he's a cop or not. Because if i got in an accident, and he was doing that, im willing to bet he'd still stop and help me out. Which is all I care about.

Crying about the details is failed logic. It was the opinion we had, that's mine. It just so happens my opinion is right :p
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Some many people would be better served by worrying about themselves a little more and less about others.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Yillbs

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Some many people would be better served by worrying about themselves a little more and less about others.
^^^ can't argue with logic.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I was wearing work uniform for a major company here in Houston riding to work and a guy in a truck turns right as I am turning left on my green light (he had a red but right on red wasnt illegal except he has to yield to traffic)
Well he almost hits me on the turn and he is throwing me the bird letting me know I am # 1 and yelling outta his truck window so I revv up and leave him behind until the next red light. He pulls up next to me and so I raise my visor and say "What?" As he answers I redline it. Do this twice and he is full on yelling at me , ..
Then he sees my name on the shirt and company name saying he is going to call company and report me blah blah blah...
Never heard anything else bout it. He was full of and in the wrong anyway.
But as for a LEO I could see where a hater could be a pain in the .
So if I was LEO I wouldnt ride in full duty uniform. No.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:

This too^^
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Speeding is illigal, but because traffic generally goes over by about 10 , it's considered " the way it's done " , that's just the way society has left it.

Driving a motorcycle like again, 90% of the way society does it, isn't considered wrong. Clause or no clause, If i see a cop doing it, i'll look to my wife and be like, that guys an , just like I would for anyone else doing it. Holds no significance that he's a cop or not. Because if i got in an accident, and he was doing that, im willing to bet he'd still stop and help me out. Which is all I care about.

Crying about the details is failed logic. It was the opinion we had, that's mine. It just so happens my opinion is right :p
Your opinion is only right in that on or off duty, in or out of uniform...an is an , but the only opinion on "representing" that matters is the employer's.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Very true, but uniforms tend to attract little snitches with cell phones who are waiting for them to step out of line so they can yell, "See! See! The cops are crooked!"
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The OP can't distinguish if its a rent a cop or a real cop. Most of the people who would be snapping pics and talking couldn't either. That detail doesn't matter. They are more worried that they think they can identify someone who is doing something they feel is wrong.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
green600
My PM box is a safe space

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
If I were a cop? Eh maybe, but don't thy have lockers and change at work?
Security guard: yes
Military: not in full dress but in fatigues (unless against rules)
Surgeon: would probably look weird
Zookeeper: yes, and I would wear short shorts
Football player: might be kinda tough

But I am none of those things so that's just speculation
Footlocker employee: yes
Judge: yes always can wear gear and then throw on the rode
Catholic priest: yes with lots of candy
garbage man: absolutely

you are fitting right in I am digging the break down

Quote:
No !

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
HoustonGSXR

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR
06 GSXR1000
06 CBR600RR
07 ZZR600
00 ZR750

I like the opinions and ideas. In my opinion, being a cop has a lot of weights on your shoulders. People look at you differently. It takes one bad cop to make the whole department looks bad. Being an officer, you are sworn to serve and protect 24/7 so people look at you as a role model and expect you to do everything right. Wearing a police uniform to ride a motorcycle isn't WRONG... but if you speed, changing lane without signal, texting (lol), your bike doesn't have mirrors because you like that slick sporty look, put your license plate at a spot where others can't be seen and etc...all of that will make people look at you a different way. In reality, people really don't give a about those minor problems listed above if the rider is a civilian.

So I can see why it isn't a good idea to ride when you have your full duty gear on.

Yes officers do have lockers to leave their gunbelt and uniform and other things in, but a lot of them have side jobs so it isn't convenient for them to leave their gear in their locker because some of them have side jobs before their duty or after duty.

I would wear my jacket, put gunbelt in my backpack, strap my pistol on my side, wear a helmet...bammm, you are disguised and you can ride like the other 90 percent of the people.
HoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
Jesse H

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

I do on occasion, mostly during the weekend or to extra jobs when I don't have to pick up/drop off the little one. My commute is short so I'm not overly concerned about being a target to cop haters. I ride extra responsibly while in uniform for obvious reasons.

Cagers are so oblivious I'm sure half of them even notice I'm in uniform.
Jesse H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
Cagers are so oblivious I'm sure half of them even notice I'm in uniform.
They're too busy looking at your bike trying to figure out WTF you're riding.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Never have, and don't think I ever will... there are too many negative misconceptions about riders and coppers, so to combine the two seems to be asking for trouble.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
There are a bunch of people who hate peace officers. But.... That guy clearly wasn't on the clock. He wasn't " representing " anything. Not sure why people assume just because they have a uniform on they represent someone. If i work at mcdonalds, and on my way home kill someone, not a soul says " OMG Mcdonalds supports this ". It always seems to just happen with cops. Id totally ride that way, and he should to. Revving his engine, weaving in and out of traffic... So basically, he was driving like the other 90% of the people who ride bikes. Id tell those people who to stfu and keep paying taxes
Don't know if you've paid attention to the news in the last 100yrs, but if you kill someone and you're wearing a McD's uniform, I can promise you the headline will read "McDonald's employee suspected of manslaughter" or some such . For McD's to not released a statement disowning and condemning the killer's actions, people will scream that Ronald McDonald supports homicide.

The uniform you wear is always going to represent more than just who you are, it's going to represent everyone else who wears the same uniform. When I arrive at a terminal to start a job, security never says "Chris is here," they say "SGS is here." When I'm riding home from my National Guard drill weekend, I tend to ride in a more conserved manner solely because of the fact that, in uniform, I'm representing the entire US military. People see the uniform and make assumptions before they know anything else about you.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
Don't know if you've paid attention to the news in the last 100yrs, but if you kill someone and you're wearing a McD's uniform, I can promise you the headline will read "McDonald's employee suspected of manslaughter" or some such . For McD's to not released a statement disowning and condemning the killer's actions, people will scream that Ronald McDonald supports homicide.

The uniform you wear is always going to represent more than just who you are, it's going to represent everyone else who wears the same uniform. When I arrive at a terminal to start a job, security never says "Chris is here," they say "SGS is here." When I'm riding home from my National Guard drill weekend, I tend to ride in a more conserved manner solely because of the fact that, in uniform, I'm representing the entire US military. People see the uniform and make assumptions before they know anything else about you.
Truth.

Advertisement