Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

BORC vs. Track

I'm not certain of the relevance, but I've noticed a decrease in forum activity since the BORC came around. Over the past year I've made a few observations.

The similarities:

1. It's about speed

2. Both have their routes memorized.

3. Skill is paramount to keeping the rubber on the road.

The difference:

BORC doesn't trade paint in the turns.

Want to get in a BORC vs. track vs. everyone else match? Get on a road or track that no one has been on before. It's one thing to know your surroundings, but it's entirely different to be able to observe, adapt and overcome.

*Disclaimer: I am not personally challenging anyone. I just think the drama is detrimental to a public forum.*

It also encourages riders to engage in activities beyond their skill level. Just as unskilled riders have a responsibility to ride within their limits, we...as a community...have a responsibility to minimize the risk to unskilled riders. Frank took his invitations to PM/text only for a reason. While I don't agree with everything Frank does or says, private haul rides were a good move.

It should raise concern that this year BORC rides and Sunday rides have had a similar number of riders go down (and more fatalities) than a level two track day.

I predict that most dissenting opinions will have some kind of BORC or Wednesday night affiliation. My give a level: ZERO.

I've had this conversation with several forum members in person, and I believe it's past time these sentiments were laid out here.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BORC? RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 04-20-2015 11:21 AM
BORC? SysKnight General Discussion (Moto Related) 105 01-23-2015 10:57 AM
My Response to BORC vs Track Thread NewRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 235 11-03-2013 08:12 AM
BORC up North Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-29-2013 06:19 PM
BORC jimrad The Circus 35 07-19-2013 12:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
I'm not certain of the relevance, but I've noticed a decrease in forum activity since the BORC came around. Over the past year I've made a few observations.
I brought this up to the mods months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
*Disclaimer: I am not personally challenging anyone. I just think the drama is detrimental to a public forum.*
I know one of your threads was closed a while back in an effort to curb drama.
I get where you're coming from, let's hope this thread doesn't become what you were hoping it wouldn't.

Last edited by a forum moderator; 10-29-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I've done both, so I know the pros and cons... (seems like its a no-brainer, but apparently not).

I'd be curious to know the numbers... Crashes and injuries between the two groups.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I brought this up to the mods months ago.

I know one of your threads was closed a while back in an effort to curb drama.
I get where you're coming from, let's hope this thread doesn't become what you were hoping it wouldn't.
This one shouldn't have as much potential for finger pointing as the one that got closed. It's meant more as a statement than as a discussion topic. You can lock the thread if you want. Given the title, I'm sure it will get plenty of views even if locked.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

[QUOTE=pinball;3679274]It also encourages riders to engage in activities beyond their skill level. Just as unskilled riders have a responsibility to ride within their limits, we...as a community...have a responsibility to minimize the risk to unskilled riders. Frank took his invitations to PM/text only for a reason. While I don't agree with everything Frank does or says, private haul rides were a good move.

It should raise concern that this year BORC rides and Sunday rides have had a similar number of riders go down (and more fatalities) than a level two track day.

IMO its not BORC or any group of riders that would slow the forum down. A lot of trolling (guilty myself), over opinionated posts when people ask for specific help, and just flat out dumb remarks back to a noob when a question is asked that some my find dumb.

I came to the forum in April ... see a lot of people join but never engage in the forum. I have been on the net for 20 years so I am use to the hazing and trolling. Others are not. I like the picking and poking sometimes but some do take it overboard. I have wanted to spit fire at some of the responses I have received when asking a question but it goes with the internet just like in real life .. sometimes you just wanna punch people for the that comes out of their mouth but you refrain because you know they just cant help being what they are.

In terms of group rides and downed riders / loss of life .. you have to put that on the individual riding the machine. The BORC guys go fast ... plain and simple. They tell people ... we are going to go fast. Anyone with little to no experience who tries to follow these guys is not mature enough to be on the machine. I have never been on a BORC ride and never will .. not because of the guys are bad its just out of my zone. I never went on Franks rides because it never fit my schedule. I heard this and that but I honestly think Frank tried to control his rides and keep people safe. You can not control the speed junky who rides outside of their level. It sucks that Frank had to take his rides off to PM but it had to be done. It is one less group ride for new people to enjoy but I think for his peace of mind it had to be done.

I have enjoyed this forum. Good information and some examples of bad to avoid. For a balanced person who respects the machine its a wonderful source of information and a good group of people to meet up with.

The other thing that goes with a forum is your people that keep the forum alive ... normally cause the most drama at the same time. Many are getting banned for this and that ... they get and move on to something else. Reading old threads there are quite a few heavy posters that are no longer welcome on this forum based on the permanent ban hammer levied against them. I do not think you should just let people cause chaos but when you drive away some of the life of your forum it creates a void and you get a ghost town. A little drama keeps things fresh and exciting for people ... too much drama and it gets out of control. The mods have to find that comfort level and not rule with an iron fist all the time. Slap em around keep in check ... really step too far out of line you get a long time out. IMO you would have to really become a threat to breaking apart the community to be banned for life.

Forum communities roll in cycles ... 2008-2013 is a good run for a forum to still have this much activity. Many die out quick ... MH has a good base and good core of people who keep this place alive. Run anymore of them off without new strong personalities coming in this place will become a ghost town.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 10-29-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

I prefer the track. I have rolled with the BORC, and SDRC. The track is a safer place for going out. Jim the Wolverene took a big hit for people like us, and we should listen.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
grsa

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

personally I noticed a reduced level of activity when newrider switched to bicycles.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Every single BORC thread has some sort of gay undertone and I agree, their rides shouldn't be posted publicly.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
I prefer the track. I have rolled with the BORC, and SDRC. The track is a safer place for going out. Jim the Wolverene took a big hit for people like us, and we should listen.
Amen to that brother. I was the rider right behind Jim and we were not even going out... That was my last street ride right there... So no 3 sisters for me this year but I got to ride 3 new tracks... COTA, Barber and ECR. Wanna go out and learn some skills with a real pro guy on a safe environment just take a Whoop day class. simple as that.
CMRA#672
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

I gave this thread 5 stars.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Frostbite01

Bike(s):
1991 Honda TransAlp (RIP)
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
I gave this thread 5 stars.
I am fairly new to the sport bike scene, and I personally wont ride the streets out. To many unknown factors. To many variables above and beyond weather, temp, terrain, cops, etc... Ya never know when you round that corner out and there is a kid on a bicycle in your lane, or a stalled POS left on the road. , I've even been in blind curve and had an oncoming car in my lane passing a semi truck, and had to take the shoulder to avoid a head on collision.

Nah.. I'll ride the streets like its a street, and the track like its a raceway. That's just me 2 cents worth.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

For some riders taking a corner at 90mph = BORC, same corner taken by a more experienced rider @ 120mph = moderate pace.. Within comfort zone...
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
grsa

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
For some riders taking a corner at 90mph = BORC, same corner taken by a more experienced rider @ 120mph = moderate pace.. Within comfort zone...
or 35 mph on a GROM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
or 35 mph on a GROM.
Lol yeah! " pushing the envelope"
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

I personally liked the "route gang".

Renzo FTW!

I think Rowdy hit the nail on the head on a couple spots in his post.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I miss the forest gnomes.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
I miss the forest gnomes.
Indeed
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Not sure if the culmination and creation of BORC has caused the reduction in forum activity over the last year or so; but one thing I have noticed since I have been on here is that some people take things way to serious! The forum is designed to be a community for knowledge and also for fun; but there seems to be a lot of sensitivity on here. Stop taking things so serious people and have fun!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
or 35 mph on a GROM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #20