MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
D-Man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

'12 Ducati Oil Change- resetting service light

So I'm needing to change the oil on my 2012 Multistrada I just bought a few months ago. The indicator came on for the oil change (every 7500 miles), and so I figured I'd do it myself. It's a big bike with plenty of ground clearance, and a center stand, and it looked easy enough to get to everything. I downloaded the service manual, and it looks easy enough. My issue is with the indicator, though. According to the manual, and everything I can find on Ducati forums, the ONLY way to get that message to go away is to reset it with the Ducati diagnostic tool. There are some aftermarket scanners out there, but very few of them look like they'll work for the new Ducs, and even those are $$$$. Does anybody know of a way around this? Some secret button combination? Or somebody with a computer who'd clear the code? I'd rather not go to Mancuso where I got the bike, as I'm scared to even ask what they'd charge for an oil change. But if it's not too bad, I might just do that.

Does anybody happen to know what they would charge (or should charge) for the oil change? They won't be open until Tuesday. I'm looking at about $50 if I do it myself from AutoZone.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil questions - Time for an oil change bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-09-2014 08:32 PM
$12.99 oil change at Sears 11/27-12/3 AiJay Car Forum 17 12-21-2011 06:55 PM
Oil Change! ohboitony How To's and Q & A's 16 07-09-2010 12:19 AM
Help with oil change Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-04-2009 09:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
So I'm needing to change the oil on my 2012 Multistrada I just bought a few months ago. The indicator came on for the oil change (every 7500 miles), and so I figured I'd do it myself. It's a big bike with plenty of ground clearance, and a center stand, and it looked easy enough to get to everything. I downloaded the service manual, and it looks easy enough. My issue is with the indicator, though. According to the manual, and everything I can find on Ducati forums, the ONLY way to get that message to go away is to reset it with the Ducati diagnostic tool. There are some aftermarket scanners out there, but very few of them look like they'll work for the new Ducs, and even those are $$$$. Does anybody know of a way around this? Some secret button combination? Or somebody with a computer who'd clear the code? I'd rather not go to Mancuso where I got the bike, as I'm scared to even ask what they'd charge for an oil change. But if it's not too bad, I might just do that.

Does anybody happen to know what they would charge (or should charge) for the oil change? They won't be open until Tuesday. I'm looking at about $50 if I do it myself from AutoZone.
it! Ride that like it's going out of style, and change the oil again in 3000 miles. If you ride BORC style then do a 31/30 in the air pressure.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
harrisj02

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ducati Diavel

Member Garage

Quote:

I have heard of two systems that will properly read and clear codes. One is a full scanner the other is system software and connections(would require searching again, but are in other threads). I would recommend asking a dealership about the warranty effects for non OEM maintenance. We probably know the answer but the maintenance would be cheaper than if a failure happened and they denied a warranty
harrisj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
harrisj02

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ducati Diavel

Member Garage

Just found previous reports of 7500 service quotes from 400-$900. The 600 was 230, so sounds inline for expectations if the valves do need to be adjusted.
harrisj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
D-Man

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

Even $230 sounds a bit steep to me. I've checked the schedule, and the oil is the only thing that needs changing at this service (22,500 miles). The next big service will be at 30,000, where they're supposed to check valve clearance, change the timing belts, spark plugs, air filter,etc. That one I probably will pay somebody to do, as getting to that airbox and rear cylinder looks like it would be a pain in the a$$.

But changing the oil? And the other things on the list for this service: "check brake/clutch fluid level", "check tire pressure and wear", "check chain tension/lubrication"? Just seems ridiculous to me to pay somebody hundreds of $$ to do things like this that I do myself anyway, all of the time. I see your point about the warranty thing, though....
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Look at your right hand, and twist ! The bike is fine!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Even $230 sounds a bit steep to me. I've checked the schedule, and the oil is the only thing that needs changing at this service (22,500 miles). The next big service will be at 30,000, where they're supposed to check valve clearance, change the timing belts, spark plugs, air filter,etc. That one I probably will pay somebody to do, as getting to that airbox and rear cylinder looks like it would be a pain in the a$$.

But changing the oil? And the other things on the list for this service: "check brake/clutch fluid level", "check tire pressure and wear", "check chain tension/lubrication"? Just seems ridiculous to me to pay somebody hundreds of $$ to do things like this that I do myself anyway, all of the time. I see your point about the warranty thing, though....
Just take it to superbikes. Reset should be less than half an hour
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Any Ducati dealer can reset it.
As far as independents as far as I know only us and Houston Superbikes have the connectors/software to do so.
And you're right, it's b/s that Ducati makes it that ypu can't do it yourself.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
it! Ride that like it's going out of style, and change the oil again in 3000 miles. If you ride BORC style then do a 31/30 in the air pressure.
LOL.....Ride it like you stole it!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Change the oil and go see Patrick to get the light turned off?
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement