MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #21
Los
Gang Member
 
Los's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Katy\NW
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 17,174

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6








Send a message via AIM to Los
Nice jungle
__________________
4v82zk8
Koskesh....RIP Brotha.... 4/22/07
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #22
NitroHonda
Deaf
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pflugerville in the ATX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,052


Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered






Beautiful yard! Definitely not my kind of thing but I'd be overjoyed with a yard like that.

Refreshing to find something like this on a motorcycle forum.

e-props to you!
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #23
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua
Why aren't your veggies doing so well? Are they in the ground or in pots?


:laughing6 AIC--are you over there growing morning glories and Hawaiian Woodrose?
HA! you got me on the morning glory! and a couple of san pedro cactus :P
i think i might have mixed to composted manure into the soil and maybe it's burning all of my plants. i figured since it was composted it wouldn't be a problem. Do you know much about composted manure?

*oh, and they're in the ground for the most part. also I didn't build the dirt up high enough so there were puddles for a while, but they seemed to make it through that okay for the most part unless the effect was delayed, but i'm still thinking it's the manure because i mixed a whole bag with probably an equal amount of soil.*

Last edited by AliceInChains02; 04-09-2007 at 07:48 PM.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
Los
Gang Member
 
Los's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Katy\NW
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 17,174

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6








Send a message via AIM to Los
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua
I bet the birds give the figs . We have a grapefruit tree that I'm told by grapefruit eaters is really good. You're lucky! I wish we had a good orange tree instead. :eh:
Not really.. you should see the fig tree... it's huge!! Nobody eats them anymore so they just grow in abundance and just fall to the ground or rot.... same goes for the pecans. And our orange tree grows so many ornages that i let the neighbors pick from it too.
__________________
4v82zk8
Koskesh....RIP Brotha.... 4/22/07
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





[QUOTE=Squeaky]Well, these are slightly outdated pics (I've gotten more but haven't repotted them yet so I don't have updated pics):

Yeah, some of those get pretty big. I like your plant guys; they look peaceful. :icon_bigg If you need bigger pots, let me know. I always have extras, and decorative/lg pots are always thrown curbside.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #26
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
HA! you got me on the morning glory! and a couple of san pedro cactus :P
i think i might have mixed to composted manure into the soil and maybe it's burning all of my plants. i figured since it was composted it wouldn't be a problem. Do you know much about composted manure?

You're right-- it'll burn the crumbs outta your plants. Are you over there using fresh stuff for fungii? Sorry, couldn't resist. Being silly. What did you mix the composted manure (did you compost it--or did you purchase it?)with and in what ratio?
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #27
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua
You're right-- it'll burn the crumbs outta your plants. Are you over there using fresh stuff for fungii? Sorry, couldn't resist. Being silly. What did you mix the composted manure (did you compost it--or did you purchase it?)with and in what ratio?
i don't know anything about any fungi
the manure was probably mixed 2 parts soil, maybe 1, to 1 part manure(noob). i should've known better too because I know has lots of Nitrogen in it, but i just figured since it was composted it would be okay. I purchased it from Wal-mart.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #28
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda
Beautiful yard! Definitely not my kind of thing but I'd be overjoyed with a yard like that.

Refreshing to find something like this on a motorcycle forum.

e-props to you!
Thank ya, sir! :icon_bigg I plan to have a shindig at my house some time in the near future, so I can meet more MH folks and share my quirky ambiance.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #29
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
i don't know anything about any fungi
the manure was probably mixed 2 parts soil, maybe 1, to 1 part manure(noob). i should've known better too because I know has lots of Nitrogen in it, but i just figured since it was composted it would be okay. I purchased it from Wal-mart.
For future use, you'd be better off just buying the premixed potting soil and feeding with some water-soluable like Peters or time-released like Osmocote. Unless you're buying the rankest, cheapest dirt you can find (poor topsoil) or using free stuff the city scoops out to make ditches, there's generally no need to amend with manure. Just my 2 cents. Everyone has a different approach, and it does, of course, depend on what you're growing.

Are you growing Heavenly Blue MGs? I have two packs of those guys sprouted plus some Japanese hybrids. One of my MG sets got pounded to death by the rain last weekend.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #30
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua
For future use, you'd be better off just buying the premixed potting soil and feeding with some water-soluable like Peters or time-released like Osmocote. Unless you're buying the rankest, cheapest dirt you can find (poor topsoil) or using free stuff the city scoops out to make ditches, there's generally no need to amend with manure. Just my 2 cents. Everyone has a different approach, and it does, of course, depend on what you're growing.

Are you growing Heavenly Blue MGs? I have two packs of those guys sprouted plus some Japanese hybrids. One of my MG sets got pounded to death by the rain last weekend.
I'll stick with potting soil from now on. I just felt like experimenting since there were so many types of soil, humus, etc. I'm vermicomposting so I don't think i should need chemical ferts.
I can't remember what kind of MG they are. I found the package of seeds which I had bought probably 5+years ago, and just threw them in the dirt to see if they'd grow since all of the other old seeds weren't germinating, but a few did grow, and they also didn't do well with the rain and transplanting.
I don't know much about them though. Do you think they'd grow okay in a hanging pot on a tree? I'm sort of lacking place to hang my vine-plants from.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,633

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Looks cool mala...

btw, if anyone wants some black bamboo, give me a yell.
Stuff got around my barrier and Im going to have to rip up the bed and clear some in order to fix it, before it takes over the yard.
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #32
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
I'll stick with potting soil from now on. I just felt like experimenting since there were so many types of soil, humus, etc. I'm vermicomposting so I don't think i should need chemical ferts.
I can't remember what kind of MG they are. I found the package of seeds which I had bought probably 5+years ago, and just threw them in the dirt to see if they'd grow since all of the other old seeds weren't germinating, but a few did grow, and they also didn't do well with the rain and transplanting.
I don't know much about them though. Do you think they'd grow okay in a hanging pot on a tree? I'm sort of lacking place to hang my vine-plants from.
MG are notorious for their thick shells. You can germinate about 90% of a pack if you nick the hull (any place will do) and soak them in water for 24-36 hours. They don't seem to like transplanting much, but you can grow them in baskets or larger pots just fine. Get a few tomato cages or a small trellis for them to twine up around, and once they reach the top, start running twine from the top of that to a few nails in the wall, a tree, etc. Let them have access to plenty of sun, and you can create a nice shady area.

I'm growing a couple of varieties at the base of a huge oak tree. I just sifted dirt inbetween the roots and put the little guys in there; I'll let them twine up the oak. It isn't too late to start more if you wanted to. We could have a MG grow contest. :icon_bigg
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #33
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
Looks cool mala...

btw, if anyone wants some black bamboo, give me a yell.
Stuff got around my barrier and Im going to have to rip up the bed and clear some in order to fix it, before it takes over the yard.
Uh-oh. . .the bamboo escaped! I love it (larger varieties and Buddha belly) but I'm afraid to plant it for that reason. I mean, it can't possibly have anything to do with the fact that I'm too lazy to dig the hole to drop a barrier.

Black bamboo is pretty stuff though. Can you post any pics?
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #34
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,633

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









"Black bamboo is pretty stuff though. Can you post any pics?"

Eventually, once I can get a camera...and clean up the area a bit,
and/or find some early pics when I first started that section.
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #35
nihaikitty
Squidette
 
nihaikitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,681

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650








:icon_bigg
__________________
Marlena
nihaikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #36
nihaikitty
Squidette
 
nihaikitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,681

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650








..
__________________
Marlena
nihaikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #37
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









I will try to get some pics. I just redid the front last weekend.
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #38
Faylaricia
The Comtesse
 
Faylaricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,965

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800









We've been trying to redo the front but have been so busy every weekend. A couple of weeks ago, we finally got a chance to clear up some of the plants Gavin has been wanting to get rid of and just have to pick the flowers we want to plant. So many choices. :confused2

Any idea what flowers are best for shady areas and pretty enough to be in the front yard? There are two pine trees around which we want to plant some. The neighbors were a bit faster and we don't want the same flowers, so variety is key.
__________________
Patricia
banner2 sm
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #39
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
We've been trying to redo the front but have been so busy every weekend. A couple of weeks ago, we finally got a chance to clear up some of the plants Gavin has been wanting to get rid of and just have to pick the flowers we want to plant. So many choices. :confused2

Any idea what flowers are best for shady areas and pretty enough to be in the front yard? There are two pine trees around which we want to plant some. The neighbors were a bit faster and we don't want the same flowers, so variety is key.
A few questions:
  • Is it deep shade or filtered/light shade?
  • Do you guys want a "layered" look (various heights)?
  • Does it matter if they are only annuals, or do you want something there year round?
  • Are you only interested in flowers? How about pretty foliage?
  • Are you open to ground travelling vines?
  • And last, what did the neighbors plant? :icon_bigg
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #40
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic
 
Mala Lingua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SE Side!
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 10,983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)





..
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy