MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #121
Monkeylawyer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CB 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I didn't say anything about $$ or refunds - just that it should have been cancelled - what you are saying is NO MATTER WHAT the track day should go on - if it was hailing baseball size hail it should go on - makes no sense. As far as telling me I "can't complain" you need a lesson in the constitution - I'll complain if I want to.
Sure, you can complain. I can also think you are being unreasonable for complaining, which is exactly what you are doing. You made a deal, it's unreasonable to complain about the terms of the deal after you make it.
Monkeylawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride Smart Street Smart August 2013 Contest RideSmart1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 08-08-2013 11:34 AM
Too Broke to Ride MSRH w/ Ride Smart this weekend? I'll cover half. cyon Taking it to the Track 57 07-12-2013 09:00 PM
Ride Smart Discounts? orbit398 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 9 06-03-2013 10:49 PM
Thank you Ride Smart and all! Herf Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 03-31-2009 01:53 PM
My view on Ride Smart MudBug Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 03-30-2009 11:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #122
clazydaze
clazydaze

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 ducati streetfighter
2007 fz1

Talking proper gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Personally, I would have ridden. I wish I'd had my bike there.

Then again, I have warm gear and warm gloves and a foggy insert for my helmet. I also have tires that are great in rain, mud, sand, etc.

For someone who preaches proper gear what are you doing wearing textile
on a trackday.NO wonder you defend them so feircly they are the only one's:who will let you ride.Professional trackdays require leather suits
clazydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #123
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayzydaze
For someone who preaches proper gear what are you doing wearing textile
on a trackday.NO wonder you defend them so feircly they are the only one's:who will let you ride.Professional trackdays require leather suits
Lone Star allows proper textile as well.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #124
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Lone Star allows proper textile as well.
If I remember correctly, LSTD only allows textiles in the beginner group.
MagnaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #125
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

It would have been nice if it could've been called off but there were also a few people who wanted to ride and did. Granted, the folks who had the most fun were probably actually glad they got a chance to practise their skills in the weather.

I wasn't out there and know that the riders must've been ice cubes on wheels but there was no ice on the road, it was just wet, and if one ever wanted to feel better about riding on a wet road, the track would be the place to start.

Everyone was told to take it very easy and to behave and they did. I was very surprised at how most folks really stayed within their limits and with only three crashes (one Ty, one an instructor and one trying to be as fast as Ty) it really wasn't bad at all. It was just frigging cold!

Here is my cornerworker report if you haven't seen the thread about it yet:

http://bbs.tsba.org/t38108-cornerwor...il-7-2007.html
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #126
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

i wish that you people would just drop it about this thing already. It's in the past, you had the chance to chance it and ride or stay safe and go home. Next time you'll know, thats one problem with selling out an event 2 months ahead of time, noone expected that weather, it's a rare occurance but it happened. Now just sign up for the next trackday and hope the weather is nice
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #127
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
i wish that you people would just drop it about this thing already. It's in the past, you had the chance to chance it and ride or stay safe and go home. Next time you'll know, thats one problem with selling out an event 2 months ahead of time, noone expected that weather, it's a rare occurance but it happened. Now just sign up for the next trackday and hope the weather is nice
sounds like you need a hug. Hey carbon .5 please give the man a hug
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #128
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r
I think it would be pretty tough to find a insurance company that will insure your business for incliment weather. If they did, I would bet that the rates would be staggering.
Insurance:
Maybe the rates would be high. Maybe not. One thing is to make it an option, like travel insurance. I just recently purchased a plane ticket and I was also given the option to purchase insurance to cover my fares in the event that some type of personal disaster kept me from flying. That would at least give everyone an option.

Concession/customer relationship:
As far as concessions, I think that's a good thing, and if you promote a positive environment you'll find your customer base will generally respond positively. One of the issues at stake here is Ride Smart's general lack of safety on top of their handling of this issue.

Here's some rough numbers. If Ride Smart's fixed cost was 10G (74 riders) they could take some portion over that and offer a partial refund or a larger discount (incentive to come back) off your next registration. From my experience, they seem to overbook the track by nearly twice that amount. So if they booked 150 riders then they still walked away with 10G this past freezing Saturday. (Again these are all rough numbers.)

Exceptional circumstances:
Rain is one thing, but freezing conditions are quite another. Perhaps when Track Day programs are setting up rental agreements with the tracks, they should take freezing/freak conditions into consideration, because at that point the track is not rideable and therefore not rentable. I guess the question is whether the track day programs have enough muscle to negotiate something like that with the track owners.

But as someone pointed out, Little League programs are capable of dealing with inclement weather conditions, why can't Track Day programs. I would need to know more details but it sounds like no one has tried to shake up the system and is just accepting it as "That's the way it's always been done."
Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #129
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Here is an idea... book it with your credit card and you will have all the insurance you need.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #130
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
i wish that you people would just drop it about this thing already. It's in the past...
I mean this in a nice way, but I think that's the wrong attitude to have. Some very valid points have been raised and some constructive criticism... as well as some people just getting to vent. :icon_smil

You've also found out that LSTD is valued more highly than Ride Smart. Telling people to shut up, but be sure to register for another track day? Well... that's just not going to sit right with some. I would propose that you sit back and learn from Ride Smart's mistakes. Some good ideas about making LSTD even better have come out of this as well as some reinforcement about how you're doing now.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #131
level5
moving chicane

Yeah, I hoped that the track org. will take this weather into acct. seriously. After all, this is TX and you never know what is gonna happen. Maybe Tornado? Hurricane season is around the corner too.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #132
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

The policy says "Rain or Shine".. dont think sleet and ice were included.. any time sleet and ice are present.. that is an unsafe track...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #133
Longnguyen

Im renting out TWS (Texas World Speedway) ..........please paypal me 150 each.........will refund you 200% if theres a hurricane =P
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #134
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Here is an idea... book it with your credit card and you will have all the insurance you need.
I think most of us paid with credit cards but we would like to see the organization be fair about the situation. Calling the credit card company to dispute is an option but it's not the right thing to do.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #135
MacMan/LSTD

Tracks as a whole have not been very lenient on their weather policy.
If it rains you pay.

MSR Cresson is owned by a great guy who would never let anyone "take the track" in icy conditions although in a deluge of rain he has left little room for negotiations. A rainy race track on a good set of rain tires is a BLAST.
If you are smooth and consistent you can pretty much haul .........
Braking up and down is amazing and all you really need to do is slow down your lean angle a bit. It will AMAZE YOU.
For the new or inexperienced track rider it is safe to say that most riders are scared and unwilling to risk damage to themsleves and their motorcycles therefore they choose not to ride. I had a great time at one of our TWS (Texas World Speedway) rain days years ago and I was out on the track for hours with 8-10 other racers.
The average track day customer would prefer NOT to ride in the rain.
In our experience with TWS (Texas World Speedway) they have always charged us for the event regardless of rain or shine. We have looked into "Insurance" that would cover our losses, key word here, in the event of a weather related cancellation. The cost for this type of coverage has shown to be cost prohibitive.
Hence MOST weather related Track Day policies exist as a result of the Tracks Weather Related policies. They have been mentioned earlier
in my post. It will remain an ongoing dilemna.

From my perspective I am more concerned about the perceived negligence associated with someone crashing on ice or sleet than worrying about refunds or future discounts. I can take a bunch of chewings but few law suits.
MacMan/LSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #136
Longnguyen

so in other words..............trackday orgs are not in very good positions to negotiate with the track? What would it take for these orgs to have some push or pull on the track? Are contracts and terms structured in a way that the promoting org. is always at a disadvantage?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #137
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
*** edit ***

deleted my further complaints....it does nothing anyways. :eh:

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #138
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
Honestly I am very surprised that this thread is still alive. 8 pages later everyone is still expressing thier OWN opinion and getting no where. It is in the past, so just put it behind you and look forward to the next trackday with better weather.
Just my 0.02
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #139
Longnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer-r
Did you follow the TWS (Texas World Speedway) wall story? How long did that take? Same story, different by-line.
Right i did follow that story but what i was trying to get at, is the track flexes their muscle, so what can the org. do to flex their muscle? Or.......maybe the motorcycle circuit doesnt bring enough money to the track so they dont care about us?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #140
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cc chick
Honestly I am very surprised that this thread is still alive. 8 pages later everyone is still expressing thier OWN opinion and getting no where. It is in the past, so just put it behind you and look forward to the next trackday with better weather.
Just my 0.02
some are still steaming over what happened. Just let people be, don't read this thread if it gets to you.

Advertisement