Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #41
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Wear glove liners, get a visor that doesn't fog (or a fog-reducing insert like the Respro) and be prepared for the weather - gear AND tires. Same goes for any long trip since you just don't know what Mother Nature will bring.
If only you were the paying customer, you would understand.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride Smart Street Smart August 2013 Contest RideSmart1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 08-08-2013 11:34 AM
Too Broke to Ride MSRH w/ Ride Smart this weekend? I'll cover half. cyon Taking it to the Track 57 07-12-2013 09:00 PM
Ride Smart Discounts? orbit398 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 9 06-03-2013 10:49 PM
Thank you Ride Smart and all! Herf Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 03-31-2009 01:53 PM
My view on Ride Smart MudBug Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 03-30-2009 11:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #42
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Personally, I would have ridden. I wish I'd had my bike there.

Then again, I have warm gear and warm gloves and a foggy insert for my helmet. I also have tires that are great in rain, mud, sand, etc.

BlackWidow was a paying customer and has already proclaimed for all to see that this was one of the best track days he's had because of the open track, almost endless time, and numerous miles he put on.

The day is done. If you don't like the way Ride Smart handled it, don't give them your business. Vote with your wallet.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #43
level5
moving chicane

We knew it was bad weather a day ahead, called and talked to Dave. Dave said since everything was paid for there is nothing that he could do.

In my opinion, it's just bad business. I will never sign up early with them again. I will wait until a day or two before the trackday to sign up. If I don't get in, too bad they lost my business. Longhorn school Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #44
level5
moving chicane

Black widow is not your slow or beginner riders. He is fast and fearless.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #45
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Absolutely fascinating thread!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #46
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Then again, I have warm gear and warm gloves and a foggy insert for my helmet. I also have tires that are great in rain, mud, sand, etc.

The day is done. If you don't like the way Ride Smart handled it, don't give them your business. Vote with your wallet.

When your expensive bike is laying on it's side steaming in the sleet and your arm is broken from the wreck at least you will be able to stay warm until the ambulance gets there.
I have already made that vote. Wallet is closed until further notice (for Ride Smart).
Too many horror stories of disorganization, lack of personell and now insisting that we ride in the unsafe conditions or go home without some compensation.
Is it really asking so much that they give you credit on another day or reschedule, even during the week?
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #47
level5
moving chicane

This is very unusual circumstance happened on trackdays.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #48
clazydaze
clazydaze

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 ducati streetfighter
2007 fz1

Sleet is not safe conditions at any level,no matter the gear!!!!!!!!!!
nuff said!!! Goodnight and good luck
clazydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #49
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
In my opinion, it's just bad business.
And you are welcome to your opinion. Everyone is. Mine differs from yours, and the next person to come along may have yet another opinion.

(It seems that MH is full of people that want to change each other's opinions even though the forum is not a debate - it is a conversation. Nobody has to be right or wrong.)

Heck, SolRacer left and he was the designated track photographer. He probably lost money on the day also because he is paid when people order their pics - the people who rode through the weather no longer had the option of buying their track photos.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #50
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
When your expensive bike is laying on it's side steaming in the sleet and your arm is broken from the wreck at least you will be able to stay warm until the ambulance gets there.
I have already made that vote. Wallet is closed until further notice (for Ride Smart).
Too many horror stories of disorganization, lack of personell and now insisting that we ride in the unsafe conditions or go home without some compensation.
Is it really asking so much that they give you credit on another day or reschedule, even during the week?
Ridesmart has left a bad impression on the riders that day that could hurt their business IF everyone is boycotting Ridesmart.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #51
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Ridesmart has left a bad impression on the riders that day that could hurt their business IF everyone is boycotting Ridesmart.
Please do. Empty track for me & Moe.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #52
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Please do. Empty track for me & Moe.
Now you should know as well as I do it don't work that way.

Quit giving all the boys a hard time. :laughing6

... ok carry on

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #53
level5
moving chicane

We are not on the same skill level, my present will not make any difference for you.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #54
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

In my opinion

Quote:
Wear glove liners, get a visor that doesn't fog (or a fog-reducing insert like the Respro) and be prepared for the weather - gear AND tires. Same goes for any long trip since you just don't know what Mother Nature will bring.
I have all of the above and since I ride my bike to track days I also travel with all of the above. However, a track day is not the same as a long trip and you can't compare the two. I will ride in the cold and I will ride in the rain, but on a long trip I choose who I am riding with and that is the big difference. On the track you don't choose your group. I'm also not paying to go on that long trip but I am paying for the track and that comes along with certain expectations.

Normally I would have welcomed the opportunity to practice my skills in inclement conditions in a controlled environment, but not when I have to worry about other riders with questionable skill levels. And the original post was regarding the negligence concerning inexperienced riders. When I road in the beginners group with Ride Smart, people were braking around corners or coasting (3 collisions in the afternoon on dry pavement). If they can't master basic cornering taught by MSF why would I want to ride with them in wet conditions?

Add that to the fact that it was icy (if I read the other posts correctly) then Ridesmart should have done the safe thing and closed it down.

I don't care how nice you are, apologies don't make up for taking my money and telling me to ride in icy conditions or go home. Ridesmart should have negotiated a better weather cancellation deal with the track and been able to give credits back, even if they had to go into next season. Or they could possibly purchase insurance covering weather cancellations. Wedding photographers, film production companies, etc. do this all the time.

I think the original purpose of this post was to let everyone know of the negligence so they could vote with their wallet too. I appreciate this information.
MagnaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #55
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Longhorn school Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #56
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I called Dave the day before and he said " it's going to be a great day - remember last summer when we had an 80% chance of rain and it barely sprinkled" I told him the foecast highs were not going to be 39 degrees in the summer - he said there is a 40% chance the weather will be great" - I told him our group was not going - he was not the least bit understanding. I emailed Dave a lengthy letter after a crashfest @ Cresson last season - I kept it private and tried to be constructive in my comments - I got to ride 80 track miles of which 23 were leading a round robin in the "level 2 " group at Dave's last minute request - because he had oversold it - and he couldn't divide the groups small enough for the number of instructors he had. We drove 900 round trip miles for 57 track miles. I have never asked him for 1 penny back, or a free anything. DAVE NEVER RETURNED MY EMAIL and I re-sent it to make sure he got it.

The forecast was for freezing precip - should have been cancelled - that's my vote.

If one guy had a good time - I'm glad for him - he was the exception not the rule. Some people swim in a speedo in ice filled lakes - not my idea of fun - particularly for 8 hours.

For the one that says "If I'd have had my bike - I'd have ridden" You didn't.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #57
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #58
level5
moving chicane

Black widow paid for his track time, he is determined to get his money's worth, rain, cold or snow.

I did a few sessions myself not as fun as I would hoped/wanted to be.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #59
Monkeylawyer

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CB 919

Quote:
We knew it was bad weather a day ahead, called and talked to Dave. Dave said since everything was paid for there is nothing that he could do.

In my opinion, it's just bad business. I will never sign up early with them again. I will wait until a day or two before the trackday to sign up. If I don't get in, too bad they lost my business. Longhorn school Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Some of you folks (i.e., the ones saying the above) need a lesson in how contracts and basic economics work.

When you paid your $135 for the trackday, one of the terms of your contract with RideSmart was that your money would not be refunded in case of bad weather. That was the deal you made with RideSmart, and you accepted that deal by paying your money. So, you didn't pay $135 to ride on the track that day, you paid $135 to ride on the track that day if the weather was good enough.

If RideSmart had promised you that you could go to a makeup day if the weather was not good enough to ride on that day, then the amount you would have paid for the trackday would have been more than $135. You got the cheaper price with the no-rainday term, which you accepted, so you can't complain now.
Monkeylawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #60
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
the other guys have a nice policy to deal with bad weather...

Advertisement