MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #21
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
should have picked lone star! you will know next time.
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride Smart Street Smart August 2013 Contest RideSmart1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 08-08-2013 11:34 AM
Too Broke to Ride MSRH w/ Ride Smart this weekend? I'll cover half. cyon Taking it to the Track 57 07-12-2013 09:00 PM
Ride Smart Discounts? orbit398 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 9 06-03-2013 10:49 PM
Thank you Ride Smart and all! Herf Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 03-31-2009 01:53 PM
My view on Ride Smart MudBug Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 03-30-2009 11:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #22
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJgsxr
In everything else when you don't get the service you paid for you get some type of compensation for it. For example I play outdoor soccer if a game gets rained out there is a make up day for it. They intentionally leave a number of Sundays where they don't have games scheduled so they can have makeup days. I don't see why they don't do this with the track.
It was not considered a rained out day. If it was they would have offered a credit. I think the question is why would a Rider School allow new track riders to continue on the day in question with how the wether was. hence... Ride not so Smart...

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #23
MANSON6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 636

I for one was there, But you have to realize it wasn't all Daves fault. He was already out 2 events due to weather and so since he was already in the hole those 2 days he couldn't refund or move credits. But alteast he did apoligize to all the groups and let us know that it was OUR choice to stay and ride the track since it was already paid for. If you got anything out of this event it was a well deserved class of throttle control. I ran 3 sessions and learned alot about the track that I never get to because Im usually flying thru the turns and straights, It showed me alot of braking technics and the throttle use in the rain and cold. My bike showed me alot and I feel that I learned alot even though we werent flying around the track like we usually do. He was apoligetic but you have to realize it was our own decisions to stay out there and ride not his. It's a business for him and when your down 2 trackdays already there is alot of money being lost.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
Squeaky

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANSON6
He was apoligetic but you have to realize it was our own decisions to stay out there and ride not his. It's a business for him and when your down 2 trackdays already there is alot of money being lost.
Not just the money - even if he wanted to offer a rain check he couldn't. Being down at least two events for the year, everything coming up is already booked solid and the waiting lists just continue to grow. I overheard him telling the registration folks to Ok some deals (discounted prices, etc.) for people so it's worth asking - but DO NOT expect to get anything just because you asked.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #25
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Oh, and as a cornerworker let me just say that I expected more mishaps because of the weather than we had. I know tires were slipping, but the for the most part the riders kept their heads in the game and stayed upright.

We were required to stay out there in the corners until the last of the paying riders wanted to call it quits. If I'd left early, I would have forfeited my trackday credit just the same as the riders that left forfeited their track time.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Old 04-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #26
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

at least the wall was moved before Ty tried to mow it down with his body!
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #27
99eight

Bike(s):
998 and 999

...Not sure how someone could have planned around this one... Sleeting in April? I think Dave is probably doing the best he can give the bad luck we've had this year... Of course, by the time it was sleeting, my brother and I were already drinking margaritas at Ozona's...

Ty went down?
99eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #28
MANSON6

Bike(s):
2005 636

Yae Ty flew past a buddy of mine riding a wheelie and then next thing he saw Ty was playing in the mud near turn 9. And Ty was running rain tires.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #29
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
whoolies in the rain?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
whoolies in the rain?
Why not?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #31
mongofeet

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6, 2005 Yamaha R6 & 2001 Honda XR100

I was signed up for this trackday to get some practice in before next weeks race - once that ice/sleet was all but confirmed for Saturday I didn't even bother driving to TWS (Texas World Speedway). It's not worth wadding(sp?) up my bike or myself to ride in dangerous conditions. (By the way, would it be so hard to set up a weather line or post on the website by a specified time to see if a trackday is cancelled - every little league in the country has one:eh:

There shouldn't even have been a question of whether to ride or not. Ice/sleet should be considered a "dangerous condition" and the track should have been shut down.

I feel for the guys trying to put on these trackdays already being out 2 weather days, but that is part of the risk of running a business - customers shouldn't pay for a business owners bad luck. If I have bad luck and say my bike breaks down, Ridesmart doesn't return my money. But if the weather doesn't cooperate they get to keep ours? It's win/win for them and lose all the way to the bank for us. I'm not saying a trackday should be called every time it rains, but when conditions are DANGEROUS the responsible thing to do is shut it down and reschedule or give full or partial credits.

Maybe if we trackriders were more savy consumers and demanded better raincheck/refund policies, the organizers would better negotiate their contracts and build in reschedule days - at least your not screwed out of $135 bucks because you refuse to ride in unsafe conditions.

Like Magnaman, I probably won't sign up for another Ridesmart day - too many riders and too little organization and concern for customer satisfaction will send me back to Lonestar and Longhorn.

And just to clarify, I'm not dissing Ridesmart or their people - I just think there is a better product out there for my money.
CMRA #919

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Member...Noel/Home.aspx
Check out my sponsors: South Central Race Center/Bridgestone, Lockhart Phillips, Vortex, Chicken Hawk, Sidi Boots, Fuel Clothing, Clutch Mechanix Wipes & Power Crunch Bars
mongofeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #32
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongofeet
I was signed up for this trackday to get some practice in before next weeks race - once that ice/sleet was all but confirmed for Saturday I didn't even bother driving to TWS (Texas World Speedway). It's not worth wadding(sp?) up my bike or myself to ride in dangerous conditions. (By the way, would it be so hard to set up a weather line or post on the website by a specified time to see if a trackday is cancelled - every little league in the country has one:eh:

There shouldn't even have been a question of whether to ride or not. Ice/sleet should be considered a "dangerous condition" and the track should have been shut down.

I feel for the guys trying to put on these trackdays already being out 2 weather days, but that is part of the risk of running a business - customers shouldn't pay for a business owners bad luck. If I have bad luck and say my bike breaks down, Ridesmart doesn't return my money. But if the weather doesn't cooperate they get to keep ours? It's win/win for them and lose all the way to the bank for us. I'm not saying a trackday should be called every time it rains, but when conditions are DANGEROUS the responsible thing to do is shut it down and reschedule or give full or partial credits.

Maybe if we trackriders were more savy consumers and demanded better raincheck/refund policies, the organizers would better negotiate their contracts and build in reschedule days - at least your not screwed out of $135 bucks because you refuse to ride in unsafe conditions.

Like Magnaman, I probably won't sign up for another Ridesmart day - too many riders and too little organization and concern for customer satisfaction will send me back to Lonestar and Longhorn.

And just to clarify, I'm not dissing Ridesmart or their people - I just think there is a better product out there for my money.
very well put on all accounts!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #33
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
I agree in part, but the track day started in conditions that weren't ideal but weren't dangerous. Almost everyone on here has already said that they rode the round robin. Therefore, they did (technically) use the track time. Had the sleet/hail fallen before a tire hit the track, I think this would have turned out much differently than it did.

Ty went down after 8/9, but he was back up before I could even get over to him (cornerworking T10) and the bike was ridden back to the pit. He just slid out, no tumble or anything. I noticed a puddle starting to form on that part of the track (among others) but he slid out before he hit it.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #34
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

[QUOTE=mongofeet]I feel for the guys trying to put on these trackdays already being out 2 weather days, but that is part of the risk of running a business - customers shouldn't pay for a business owners bad luck. If I have bad luck and say my bike breaks down, Ridesmart doesn't return my money. But if the weather doesn't cooperate they get to keep ours? It's win/win for them and lose all the way to the bank for us. I'm not saying a trackday should be called every time it rains, but when conditions are DANGEROUS the responsible thing to do is shut it down and reschedule or give full or partial credits.

Maybe if we trackriders were more savy consumers and demanded better raincheck/refund policies, the organizers would better negotiate their contracts and build in reschedule days.[QUOTE]

+100 Exactly what I meant only said better!

If you pay in advance for a nice rent car then fly to Chicago and they tell you that the only car they have is an unsafe POS, you would be upset. Then if they said sorry either drive the POS or start walking you would not think that was ok. You'd want your money back, or a credit for your next rental.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #35
clazydaze
clazydaze

Bike(s):
2010 ducati streetfighter
2007 fz1

Quote:

That was my point, it wasn't safe to tell someone who doesn't know any
better to go on out and work on youre line's.When you can't feal youre hands,
can't see out youre viser,there is standing water and sleet building up on the
cars in the pit.Any professional would have known that wasn't safe!!!!!!!!
And further more wouldnt have risked a hefty lawsuit.
clazydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #36
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Wear glove liners, get a visor that doesn't fog (or a fog-reducing insert like the Respro) and be prepared for the weather - gear AND tires. Same goes for any long trip since you just don't know what Mother Nature will bring.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #37
clazydaze
clazydaze

Bike(s):
2010 ducati streetfighter
2007 fz1

You know for someone who wasn't even out there.(on a bike)You sure talk the talk! Would you have sent one of youre kids out knowing his or her skill level wasn't up to it?
clazydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #38
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayzydaze
You know for someone who wasn't even out there.(on a bike)You sure talk the talk! Would you have sent one of youre kids out knowing his or her skill level wasn't up to it?

Old 04-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #39
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
i have only read the 1st page of this thread, and i'm sorry but rain and ICE are completely different. Ice is WAY more dangerous to be out on a bike on. I agree with Chris24 on this one when he said that the ppl who paid to go out there should have gotten i nice lil' discount on thier next trackday.
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #40
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
hehe the girl next to me at work just burnt a bag of popcorn!!!:laughing6
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote