MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
grsa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Should states adopt a UK license strategy?

The UK has several levels of licensing for motorized two wheelers
Everything from Mopeds to trikes. It is a bit confusing
As I read this I am not sure if they are saying that you can only ride trike or sidecar if you are physically disabled or not.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have levels based on power outputs?

Motorcycles (A1, A2 and A)

There are different minimum age restrictions and power outputs for the different categories. If you are an existing tricycle rider you won’t lose the entitlement you currently hold.

Tests for mopeds with 3 or 4 wheels, A1 and A tricycles and sidecar combinations will only be offered to physically disabled drivers or riders.
Tricycles (AM, A and A1)

There are varied minimum age restrictions and power outputs for the different categories. If you are an existing tricycle rider with a full licence, you won’t lose the entitlement you currently hold.

Tests for mopeds with 3 or 4 wheels, A1 and A tricycles and sidecar combinations will only be offered to physically disabled drivers or riders.
Telemarketer calls, new strategy. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-14-2011 03:49 PM
Video of BP's strategy to kill the well kdog22 Off Topic 3 06-30-2010 04:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

I wonder how many people "RIPping" on rider down threads will turn around and vigorously oppose any graduated license scheme...
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I believe that there are a few states that already have a few different classes of licenses. I was in washing state for awhile back around 1980 and they had 2 classes back then. I can not remember what they were exactly but I think one was for below a certain cc size and one was for all sizes...
I remember because at the time I had two BSA 441 victors and borrowed a friends bike to take the test on so as not to have to take it again when I bought a bigger bike.
I would not mind seeing teenagers with a license limited to a 125 or 250.

Last edited by obed; 10-13-2013 at 08:53 AM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

My first license was an M2 in CA. It limited the bike to 250cc and no riding at night. The M endorsement was unlimited, but you had to do another ride test. I have no problem with making it safer for riders.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
wheelbender6

Bike(s):
Buddy 125

I think a separate licensing class for "twist n go" scooter riders would improve things. A great deal of time in the basic rider course is spent on proficiency in manual shifting. Scooter riders could spend that "shifting" time on more accident avoidance skills.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Mace
Wisdom

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

Don't know about now, but in 1974 Texas had a age limit/ CC limit. I got my M/C license at the age of 15 for 125cc or less motorcycle. Can't really remember, I think at age 17 you retested for a unlimited license. 1976 I rode my 1st super bike, my bros brand new KZ 750 triple.
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
I wonder how many people "RIPping" on rider down threads will turn around and vigorously oppose any graduated license scheme...
Good question probably a few I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
I believe that there are a few states that already have a few different classes of licenses. I was in washing state for awhile back around 1980 and they had 2 classes back then. I can not remember what they were exactly but I think one was for below a certain cc size and one was for all sizes...
I remember because at the time I had two BSA 441 victors and borrowed a friends bike to take the test on so as not to have to take it again when I bought a bigger bike.
I would not mind seeing teenagers with a license limited to a 125 or 250.
Agree limit the cc's till a certain age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
My first license was an M2 in CA. It limited the bike to 250cc and no riding at night. The M endorsement was unlimited, but you had to do another ride test. I have no problem with making it safer for riders.
You still don't ride at night JK They do the same for cars correct (limit the hours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I think a separate licensing class for "twist n go" scooter riders would improve things. A great deal of time in the basic rider course is spent on proficiency in manual shifting. Scooter riders could spend that "shifting" time on more accident avoidance skills.
Under 50CC do you even need a license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
Don't know about now, but in 1974 Texas had a age limit/ CC limit. I got my M/C license at the age of 15 for 125cc or less motorcycle. Can't really remember, I think at age 17 you retested for a unlimited license. 1976 I rode my 1st super bike, my bros brand new KZ 750 triple.
Not sure if things are different now or not (any younger riders know)?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

I don't think basing it on cc's is a good idea. A 650cc Suzuki Savage(S40) is a much different animal than a 600cc sport bike
zpooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
ineedasubaru

In Texas they do limit cc to age but for one year. You can't have anything above 250cc until you turn 16 and then its whatever you want. I think they should extend that to 18 or so.
ineedasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpooch View Post
I don't think basing it on cc's is a good idea. A 650cc Suzuki Savage(S40) is a much different animal than a 600cc sport bike
Are you saying that the power delivery for a thumper is different than a sport bike? Good point. A lot more plays into it than CC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedasubaru View Post
In Texas they do limit cc to age but for one year. You can't have anything above 250cc until you turn 16 and then its whatever you want. I think they should extend that to 18 or so.
may not be bad idea.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Why are you dead set on making more rules.
My vote is no endorsement at all. We can't protect everyone form everything. It costs enough to ride as it is.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
gueroaero
@ shcool

Bike(s):
Vulcan 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantoe View Post
My vote is no endorsement at all. We can't protect everyone form everything. It costs enough to ride as it is.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
If you're gonna limit cc's then may as well limit hp on cars till a certain age. I hope not
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
did someone die and leave you dictator? nothing wrong with asking opinions and getting feedback?
if you can't afford to ride don't. At least we know your opinion, as wacked as it is.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
did someone die and leave you dictator? nothing wrong with asking opinions and getting feedback?
if you can't afford to ride don't. At least we know your opinion, as wacked as it is.
No one said I couldn't afford to ride.

Why do you think my opinion is wacked? Why do you think limiting cc's is going to help anything? You can die just as fast on a 50cc as a 1000cc.

There are kids out there that has been racing since they were old enough to kickstart the motor. Do you think they need to start out on a small displacement motor because some cheese that has never rode a motorcycle, hops on one and kills himself?

Where does it end? It doesn't..... the more you regulate,the more you have to regulate to keep up with the regulations you implement. You see the circle? I thought you were smarter than this...
Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

I vote NO limitations, either by cc, power or age. However, getting a license should be much much harder, much more expensive, require far more training than what is required today, and the penalty for not following traffic rules should be a of a lot stiffer. Maybe if people had to work harder to get and keep a license, and were better trained drivers to boot, the roads would actually be safer, which if I am not mistaken is the point of licensing in the first place.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
I vote NO limitations, either by cc, power or age. However, getting a license should be much much harder, much more expensive, require far more training than what is required today, and the penalty for not following traffic rules should be a of a lot stiffer. Maybe if people had to work harder to get and keep a license, and were better trained drivers to boot, the roads would actually be safer, which if I am not mistaken is the point of licensing in the first place.
This would help nothing. Poeple are safe or they aren't . Making them sit in more classes beating safety down their throats won't make them any safer.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
What about low income families, how are they suppose to pay for the license. They would have to make another govt program to help them and the money for this comes from where?! Also this would mean more people driving illegally and untrained, because they could not afford the license/class. I understand what you mean by if it cost more that we would care more but its just not plausible at all. Also the penalty being stiffer, why? You get a ticket you already have to pay the court, plus you insurance goes sky high what else would/could they do beside take your license. Everyone has broken some traffic law at some point, but that does not make them bad drivers.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Quote:
No one said I couldn't afford to ride.
(you said it costs enough to ride as it is. so you are intimating that any more cost would be a burden)

Why do you think my opinion is wacked? (why do you think the answers previously were not of any value?)

(really no endorsement at all, heck even racers need some type of endorsement)
Why do you think limiting cc's is going to help anything? You can die just as fast on a 50cc as a 1000cc. (correct you can die as quickly, however maybe it may save a few lives)

There are kids out there that has been racing since they were old enough to kickstart the motor. Do you think they need to start out on a small displacement motor because some cheese that has never rode a motorcycle, hops on one and kills himself?
(for every one or two mature young riders you see, how many do you see that aren't?)

Where does it end? It doesn't..... the more you regulate,the more you have to regulate to keep up with the regulations you implement. You see the circle?(my question was about a phased in approach, same regulations just stepping up to the next level at the appropriate time) I thought you were smarter than this...
I am

Advertisement