MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
DT675

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
For those that want a helmet law..

It is also legal to ride with shorts and no shirt. Should we pass laws against that?Where would the regulation end?
I get what you're saying about the regulation and after thinking about it for a little bit, I kind of agree. The only response I have to this is, you may need extensive skin surgery, but your chances of surviving wearing a helmet but no shirt and shorts are higher than not wearing a helmet at all. Chances are the severe road rash won't kill you. You're head busting like a watermelon against the concrete probably will though.
DT675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
jwreck

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT675 View Post
Ever hear of an idiom?

Do what you want with your own head. Law or no law, I'll continue wearing my helmet.
Now that makes sense, but that was not your original statement. Your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. That is all I was saying.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #43
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
I get what you're saying about the regulation and after thinking about it for a little bit, I kind of agree. The only response I have to this is, you may need extensive skin surgery, but your chances of surviving wearing a helmet but no shirt and shorts are higher than not wearing a helmet at all. Chances are the severe road rash won't kill you. You're head busting like a watermelon against the concrete probably will though.
Severe 'road rash' is like any other burn... you might research how many deaths actually occur due to direct head trauma, vs cumulative damage.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #44
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Yes, I agree. having your spinal cord severed is a real possibilty if you have no gear, though. Concrete will grind those vertebrea down nicely.

I was just making a point about how far things can go if left unchecked. I totally agree that not wearing a helmet is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do, and the act raises your chances of dying significantly.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #45
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Ulric, you sound like an expert on the matter. Please enlighten me as to where you find your data. So are you saying that your chances of surviving are lower if you wear a helmet and shorts/no shirt compared to not wearing a helmet at all? Note the word "chances".
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
Yes, I agree. having your spinal cord severed is a real possibilty if you have no gear, though. Concrete will grind those vertebrea down nicely.

I was just making a point about how far things can go if left unchecked. I totally agree that not wearing a helmet is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do, and the act raises your chances of dying significantly.
makes sense to me.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #47
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreck View Post
Now that makes sense, but that was not your original statement. Your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. That is all I was saying.
Sorry, as I mentioned previously, I moved from a state where there is a mandated helmet law. It's just what I'm used to, never known anything different. I didn't feel violated because the gubment made me where something on my head to protect me, but I do understand the argument of one regulation leading to another. At some point you have to draw the line.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #48
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Ulric, you sound like an expert on the matter. Please enlighten me as to where you find your data. So are you saying that your chances of surviving are lower if you wear a helmet and shorts/no shirt compared to not wearing a helmet at all? Note the word "chances".
I'm saying there's more to it than a simple 'had a helmet' or didn't, there are a plethora of factors/variables involved. You want to make a claim in regards to impact, where's the data to back it up?

Now.. as per this article
Quote:
Helmet use is estimated to prevent 37% of fatalities among motorcycle operators and 41% of fatalities among passengers (4). NHTSA estimates that in 2010, helmet use saved the lives of 1,544 motorcyclists, and an additional 709 lives might have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets (NHTSA, unpublished data, 2012). With motorcycle ownership at an all-time high (8.2 million registered motorcycles in 2010, compared with 4.3 million in 2000), motorcycle-related deaths and their associated costs are expected to remain at high levels unless more effective protective measures are implemented (10). Helmets are proven to save lives and money, and universal helmet laws are the most effective way to increase helmet use (3).
an estimate, at it's heart is a guess...educated, but still a guess. There's a reason I said to check the 'rip' reports on this forum for this year. How many riders bounced off something then went over a retaining wall for example?

Danny Dominguez wore a helmet, he bounced off an suv & a motorcycle before coming to rest 50-80 past the suv he rear ended. Helmet was still pristine...

Now if you can show/demonstrate where helmets lead to less accidents... I'm not fond of the seatbelt law, particularly for rear-seat passengers using the across the waist 'belts'...but it was made a law so <shrug>
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #49
jwreck

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I'm saying there's more to it than a simple 'had a helmet' or didn't, there are a plethora of factors/variables involved. You want to make a claim in regards to impact, where's the data to back it up?

an estimate, at it's heart is a guess...educated, but still a guess. There's a reason I said to check the 'rip' reports on this forum for this year. How many riders bounced off something then went over a retaining wall for example?

Danny Dominguez wore a helmet, he bounced off an suv & a motorcycle before coming to rest 50-80 past the suv he rear ended. Helmet was still pristine...
Worth repeating.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #50
jwreck

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Quote:
Sorry, as I mentioned previously, I moved from a state where there is a mandated helmet law. It's just what I'm used to, never known anything different. I didn't feel violated because the gubment made me where something on my head to protect me, but I do understand the argument of one regulation leading to another. At some point you have to draw the line.
How does that justify you guessing at possible statistics to support your opinions? Is that the way people debate in other states?

Wait, who am I kidding!? That's the way people debate everywhere.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #51
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Coach was wearing a helmet. 3 of my friends that passed in NY were wearing gear. As I said, it is DUMB as not to wear one, but I know all too well that a helmet is not the be all, end all.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #52
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:

Now if you can show/demonstrate where helmets lead to less accidents... I'm not fond of the seatbelt law, particularly for rear-seat passengers using the across the waist 'belts'...but it was made a law so <shrug>
I never stated it led to fewer accidents. If I did, that is certainly not what I meant. I get it. Each accident/wreck is different. There are times when a helmet does nothing for you just as in the example or you gave or in the case of getting clipped on the freeway and going down and cars running over you or flying off a overpass, etc. There are other times where a helmet will most definitely increase your chance of surviving. Why not improve your chance of survival as much as possible? The article you reference, even though it's an educated guess, is probably as good of proof as we will ever get.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #53
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
I never stated it led to fewer accidents. If I did, that is certainly not what I meant. I get it. Each accident/wreck is different. There are times when a helmet does nothing for you just as in the example or you gave or in the case of getting clipped on the freeway and going down and cars running over you or flying off a overpass, etc. There are other times where a helmet will most definitely increase your chance of surviving. Why not improve your chance of survival as much as possible? The article you reference, even though it's an educated guess, is probably as good of proof as we will ever get.
I was not stating you did, clarifying my stance in regards to it. I think 'we' as in the gov't interfere with Darwin & Murphy way too much. It should be personal choice, not gov't mandate.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #54
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

I see your point.....makes better sense to me now.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #55
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
I was not stating you did, clarifying my stance in regards to it. I think 'we' as in the gov't interfere with Darwin & Murphy way too much. It should be personal choice, not gov't mandate.
Well the govt has to mandate something or else all my tax dollars will end up going to more military spending or feeding the poor or some other stupid .
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #56
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I never ride without a lid either, but I don't want a law that says I have to wear one. What's next?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #57
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
I see your point.....makes better sense to me now.
as an aside.....think of how dull a lot of our action movies would be, particularly some of the older ones if any type of 'risky' action was illegal.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #58
SeenTooMuch

Bike(s):
98 cbr 600

Personally, I don't think there should be a seatbelt law either. The gov has no right to tell me that I have to wear a helmet. IMHO.

Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?!
SeenTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #59
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
Can't we just agree that motorcycles are dangerous and prostitution should be legal ?
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement