MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #21
jmeBADASS

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 Ninja 500r (deered)
2007 ninja 500r

I'm all for a helmet law. I saw solracers helmet after he hit that deer and it was trashed but his head was fine. If he wasn't wearing it he probably wouldn't be around. that was after hitting a deer, so it's not always cagers
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Thats what he said.

Outlaw everything that is unsafe

EVERYTHiNG
not trying to thread jack but they just banned any hard ball from a school up north because the district wants the kids to not get hurt and then the parents sue.

Also I agree with it should be your choice to wear a helmet, seatbelt or what ever. The only thing I don't like is that when more people die because of something my insurance goes up because they deem it a higher risk of injury.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Yup that's exactly what we need more legislation. More BS laws traffic officers have to enforce, and no doubt more money for our government officials to squander away. No wonder this country is in the situation its in right now.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
DT675

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

I moved here from a state that had a helmet law, so it wasn't a choice. Guess I'm just not used to seeing people ride around without helmets on.
DT675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

Those who give up freedom for saftey deserve neither !!!!
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #26
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Wonder if the statistics are normalized for the population and per-mile-traveled. Texas is a big ol' state and the riding season is a lot longer than a lot of other states.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
not trying to thread jack but they just banned any hard ball from a school up north because the district wants the kids to not get hurt and then the parents sue.

Also I agree with it should be your choice to wear a helmet, seatbelt or what ever. The only thing I don't like is that when more people die because of something my insurance goes up because they deem it a higher risk of injury.
Getting off topic a bit, there's all this outrage over "outlawing" hard during recess, but everyone seems to overlook the fact that this was done because the space for play was greatly reduced during some construction work and there was not enough space to play safely without putting kids that didn't want to play with the hard in the way. The "hard " are still used during other PE and sport activity times, just not "free play" (recess). This is still a bad comparison, IMO, because trying to keep kids safe away from their parents' supervision is completely different (in my mind) than telling an adult what to do.

I don't think the state should make you wear a helmet if you're over 18, but I do think it was a step in the right direction to start requiring MSF for motorcycle licensing, just like Driver's Ed should be required for a regular driver's license. You want to go without a helmet? Fine, but you'd better at least understand the risk first.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT675 View Post
I would absolutely bet on it. Of the 46% it mentions died and were not wearing helmets, I bet 1/3 to 1/2 would have lived just by wearing a lid. It's a proven fact that seatbelts, airbags, AND helmets save lives.
That's a dyno judgement... I repeat check the rip reports and give the % that woukd have lived with a helmet.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
Agreed. Just because something is stupid, doesn't mean Uncle Sam has any right to legislate it. "Safety laws" are essentially the same as saying, "you're too stupid to make the right choice, so we'll make it for you and fine you if you disagree."
Don't forget about money.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #30
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
Everyone should be free to make their own choice. Stupid or not. Dont want to wear a helmet, fine. Dont want to wear a seatbelt, fine. Want to smoke, fine. Want to OD on Tylenol, fine. Want to run from here to Mexico with no shoes, and only a speedo on, fine. Want to try to jump your house on a MX bike, in a dress, fine.
it is the riders choice in Texas

Texas - On 6/19/09, Gov. Rick Perry signed into law SB 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session effective 9/1/09 and repeals the helmet exemption sticker program.

Current law requires a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The bill removes that minimum amount. The bill requires the Texas Dept of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 and covered by an applicable health insurance plan.

The bill prohibits cops from stopping or detaining operators or passengers for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by the owner.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
ojoil

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha MT-01
KTM 250 XC-W
KTM 450 EXC SuperMoto

There's not really any motivation to take an MSF course - I think I got a $10 discount on my insurance....

Couple that with no helmet laws, and I'm not surprised that there's so many fatalities in Texas.
ojoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
ojoil

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha MT-01
KTM 250 XC-W
KTM 450 EXC SuperMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
If you feel that its unsafe to ride without a lid and it should be illegal to ride without one, how would you feel if riding a motorcycle was made illegal due to safety concerns? No doubt lives would be saved, but should it be mandatory? I don't think so. People die, thats what happens. If we got that concerned about death, we could just outlaw anything deemed unsafe.
Every time some squid racks up his brand new R1, and ends up in the hospital, my insurance rates will indirectly be affected, because I'm also a young white male motorcycle rider.
ojoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #33
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
it is the riders choice in Texas

Texas - On 6/19/09, Gov. Rick Perry signed into law SB 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session effective 9/1/09 and repeals the helmet exemption sticker program.
The bill removes that minimum amount.
Seriously? I was out of state when this went through. I always thought the $10k minimum was a bit of a joke, that much money will barely get you in the door at an ER, but it was something. I agree that individual safety laws such as helmets and seatbelts are , but at the same time there should be wording in the documents one must sign to get a drivers license (with or with the M endorsement) that indemnifies the State or general public from providing care for you if you choose not to use them. If you are stupid enough not to value your head, that's fine although I would never ride without one, just don't ask me or anyone else to pay your hospital bills.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
jwreck

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
fkn cagers

from article

"Perhaps one of the main reasons for higher rates in Texas than in the rest of the country is that there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet there and indeed this was the case in 46% of Texas motorcycle fatalities in 2011."
Co-relation is not causation. Just because 46% of fatalities weren't wearing helmets doesn't mean that's what killed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT675 View Post
I would absolutely bet on it. Of the 46% it mentions died and were not wearing helmets, I bet 1/3 to 1/2 would have lived just by wearing a lid. It's a proven fact that seatbelts, airbags, AND helmets save lives.
This ain't Vegas, your bets are worth exactly...nothing.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #35
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoil View Post
Every time some squid racks up his brand new R1, and ends up in the hospital, my insurance rates will indirectly be affected, because I'm also a young white male motorcycle rider.
Huh maybe but my motorcycle ins,and my health ins(which is expensive because i wadded myself up pretty good w/helmet and gear) rates havent gone up in the past three years and Im pretty certian there are quite a few no helmet fatalitys in that time (dont affect me one bit) if people want to ride naked I may laugh and call them a dumbass but its their CHOICE (the way it should be) Its been said many times "if you think your head is not worth protection your probably right" but it still your chioice.
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #36
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

For those that want a helmet law..

It is also legal to ride with shorts and no shirt. Should we pass laws against that?Where would the regulation end?

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #37
obed
TMGP Pimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

our legislature has not displayed much in the way of common sense , why should they demand something from bikers that they do not mandate in thier own actions.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
our legislature has not displayed much in the way of common sense , why should they demand something from bikers that they do not mandate in thier own actions.
This
Old 10-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
For those that want a helmet law..

It is also legal to ride with shorts and no shirt. Should we pass laws against that?Where would the regulation end?
When we cant ride motorcycles. But then they would deem cars, trucks, bus, and planes to dangerous to and then we are back to walking. But wait some one gets hurt walking now where forced to sit at home all day and never leave the house. But remember our govt cares about us and does this for our safety.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreck View Post
Co-relation is not causation. Just because 46% of fatalities weren't wearing helmets doesn't mean that's what killed them.

This ain't Vegas, your bets are worth exactly...nothing.
Ever hear of an idiom?

Do what you want with your own head. Law or no law, I'll continue wearing my helmet.
DT675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement