MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
blinkstafoo182

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2013 CBR250R ABS

Texas Takes Action on Motorcycle Deaths

This may have been posted already, if so delete please.

http://www.dailyworldbuzz.com/texas-...-deaths/59977/
blinkstafoo182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Cant' see it... what's the cliff notes?
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
blinkstafoo182

Bike(s):
2013 CBR250R ABS

When summer comes around, many Texans love jumping on their bikes and cruising through the countryside. In fact, the number of motorcycles in Texas has more than doubled since 2000, and by 2015, there may be twice as many again.
However, riding a bike in Texas can be a risky business. Right now, the rate of deaths among motorcyclists there is 17.5% higher than it is in the US as a whole. Despite that, things are actually getting a bit better – in 2012, 460 people were killed in motorcycle accidents in the Lone Star State, compared to 488 in 2011. Prior to that, motorcycle accidents in Texas had risen by 56% since 2004, which is broadly in line with the increase in motorcycle ownership. Perhaps one of the main reasons for higher rates in Texas than in the rest of the country is that there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet there – and indeed this was the case in 46% of Texas motorcycle fatalities in 2011.

Motorcycle accidents are particularly concerning, since unlike car crashes, injury rates are extremely high, with nearly 90% of motorcycle crashes leading to either death or injury. While Texas has a robust legal system that allows victims and families to get adequate compensation, it is obviously better to avoid incidents on the road rather than having to hire a wrongful death attorney in Dallas. It is expected that the Federal Highway Administration will provide new insights into why these death and injury rates are so high when it releases its planned Motorcycle Crash Causation Study in 2015, providing a detailed analysis of the underlying reasons behind more than 280 collisions throughout the United States.
The Texas Department of Transportation has been taking active steps to help protect motorcyclists while they are on the road. For example, their “Look Twice for Motorcycles” campaign was designed to raise awareness of the issues that motorcycle riders face. Among other things, it stressed the need to look out for motorcycles at intersections – nearly half of the fatal motorcycle accidents in Texas happen at crossroads. The campaign was rolled out across major markets in Texas including Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso, and included both newspaper and television coverage.

Another organization in Texas that was set up to drive down motorcycle deaths and injuries is the Texas Motorcycle Safety Coalition (TMSC). Established in 2008, the organization provides a public forum for developing strategies that enhance motorcycle safety, including improving safety program effectiveness and strengthening government regulations. It also takes an active role in raising public awareness around motorcycle safety issues, and in educating drivers of other vehicles about what they can do to avoid motorcycle crashes. Among other accomplishments, the organization provided the majority of the members in a working group that established the requirements for an omnibus cycle safety bill that successfully passed the Texas state legislature. The organization also hosts an annual motorcycle safety forum that brings together cycle safety advocates to share information and establish new opportunities for improving motorcycle safety.
blinkstafoo182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
greg328

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2007 Ducati 1098
2015 Yamaha R1

The problem is not us, it's the idiot clueless drivers.
Greg
greg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
Greg
If you look hard enough you will see plenty of clueless mc riders too.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Ummm if the number of motorcycles increased that means the number of accidents will increase lol
Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Texas is full of squids.
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
DT675

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

I bet if there was a mandatory helmet law, you'd see a substantial drop in fatalaties. I'll never understand why a helmet isn't mandatory in all 50 states. It's against the law to ride around without your seatbelt on and it should be the same with helmets. If you really want to ride, you'll suck it up and put on the proper gear.
DT675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Texas is full of squids.
Every state has lots of squids, ours just have an excuse that its hot.

"with nearly 90% of motorcycle crashes leading to either death or injury"
what about the crashes that happen on the back roads that never get reported. A lot of riders just lowside get up, dust them selves off and keep on going. If we added those then this would probably be significantly lower.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT675 View Post
I bet if there was a mandatory helmet law, you'd see a substantial drop in fatalaties. I'll never understand why a helmet isn't mandatory in all 50 states. It's against the law to ride around without your seatbelt on and it should be the same with helmets. If you really want to ride, you'll suck it up and put on the proper gear.
I wouldn't bet on it.... look at the accidents posted this year. Count how many definitivly would haved lived with a helmet.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
EquinsuOcha

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
Every state has lots of squids, ours just have an excuse that its hot.

"with nearly 90% of motorcycle crashes leading to either death or injury"
what about the crashes that happen on the back roads that never get reported. A lot of riders just lowside get up, dust them selves off and keep on going. If we added those then this would probably be significantly lower.
not to mention that grouping death and an unspecified degree on injury together in a statistic is pointless.
"There's a 90% chance that you will get a scratch, or a broken bone, or DIE!"
EquinsuOcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Everyone should be free to make their own choice. Stupid or not. Dont want to wear a helmet, fine. Dont want to wear a seatbelt, fine. Want to smoke, fine. Want to OD on Tylenol, fine. Want to run from here to Mexico with no shoes, and only a speedo on, fine. Want to try to jump your house on a MX bike, in a dress, fine.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
Everyone should be free to make their own choice. Stupid or not. Dont want to wear a helmet, fine. Dont want to wear a seatbelt, fine. Want to smoke, fine. Want to OD on Tylenol, fine. Want to run from here to Mexico with no shoes, and only a speedo on, fine. Want to try to jump your house on a MX bike, in a dress, fine.
Agreed. Just because something is stupid, doesn't mean Uncle Sam has any right to legislate it. "Safety laws" are essentially the same as saying, "you're too stupid to make the right choice, so we'll make it for you and fine you if you disagree."
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I wouldn't bet on it.... look at the accidents posted this year. Count how many definitivly would haved lived with a helmet.
I would absolutely bet on it. Of the 46% it mentions died and were not wearing helmets, I bet 1/3 to 1/2 would have lived just by wearing a lid. It's a proven fact that seatbelts, airbags, AND helmets save lives.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If you feel that its unsafe to ride without a lid and it should be illegal to ride without one, how would you feel if riding a motorcycle was made illegal due to safety concerns? No doubt lives would be saved, but should it be mandatory? I don't think so. People die, thats what happens. If we got that concerned about death, we could just outlaw anything deemed unsafe.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
Greg
fkn cagers

from article

"Perhaps one of the main reasons for higher rates in Texas than in the rest of the country is that there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet there and indeed this was the case in 46% of Texas motorcycle fatalities in 2011."

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Not saying I'm against people making their own decisions either, but I don't believe in blaming cagers for everything. I understand ones want to have their face in the wind, but be ok with even a small accident raising the probability of your own death.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
DT675

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
If you feel that its unsafe to ride without a lid and it should be illegal to ride without one, how would you feel if riding a motorcycle was made illegal due to safety concerns? No doubt lives would be saved, but should it be mandatory? I don't think so. People die, thats what happens. If we got that concerned about death, we could just outlaw anything deemed unsafe.
If that's how you want to look at it, we will ban cars as well, since people die in them and since they can be unsafe. My point is, helmets save lives. They're not going to save every life when invovled in an accident, but your chances of surviving are much greater. That's all I'm saying. If they want to inact a law making helmets mandatory, I have no issue with this.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #19
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
If that's how you want to look at it, we will ban cars as well, since people die in them and since they can be unsafe. My point is, helmets save lives. They're not going to save every life when invovled in an accident, but your chances of surviving are much greater. That's all I'm saying. If they want to inact a law making helmets mandatory, I have no issue with this.
Thats what he said.

Outlaw everything that is unsafe

EVERYTHiNG
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Fastola
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned