MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Vintage / Cafe Racers
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Odysseus

Feedback Rating: (0)

Help finding Front Brake Kits???

Hello Vintage/Cafe Racers,

I cannot find any front brake seal kits for my 1982 Suzuki GS 650 GL. All my searches lead to either rear kits or front brake master cylinder kits? Are these kits not sold? I already disassembled my front brake, which is not in bad condition, but I decided to work on them because of the piston dust boot was melted/torn. So now I am thinking, about just cutting off the "boot" part from the ring/seal and shoving my piston back in. Please provide your comments, because I am about lost, and this is the only option I can think of right now. PS: I have asked several companies/websites if they offer the front kits, and all they say is..."what we show, is what we sell".
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Front Brake Pressure luckyxdevil1 How To's and Q & A's 8 11-19-2012 09:03 AM
Front Brake Question SeaBasss General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 04-07-2011 11:07 AM
Matris front 25mm front fork cartridge kits 0oAndyo0 Taking it to the Track 15 10-15-2007 09:28 PM
Try the front brake... Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 04-30-2006 06:05 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

This kit is close, it fits the 1981-1983 GS650G but not sure if it will fit the "GL". Hope it helps...

http://www.powersportparts.net/K_L_S..._p/4471514.htm
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Odysseus

Hi Bumblebee,

Thanks, I will call them in the morning to check. Thats the same brake image that I saw before and it resembles more of the rear brake than the front. But hopefully they will tell me its for the front.

Thanks again for finding this for me.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

LMK
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
If you go to the K&L Supply website, they have all the available replacement parts in their online catalog. The piston size is the same between the G and the GL. So, if you are looking to rebuild the caliper seals, I would think the kit bumblebee listed will work. They do not list a rebuild kit for the GL, but do offer the replacement pistons. You can cross reference that size and see that they are identical. Hopefully, this will work for you!
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
LMK
Powersports is hard to contact....but ill keep trying and ill post an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
If you go to the K&L Supply website, they have all the available replacement parts in their online catalog. The piston size is the same between the G and the GL. So, if you are looking to rebuild the caliper seals, I would think the kit bumblebee listed will work. They do not list a rebuild kit for the GL, but do offer the replacement pistons. You can cross reference that size and see that they are identical. Hopefully, this will work for you!
I been trying to do a similar analysis, but finding specs on these front brakes is more difficult than I imagined. lol. But Ill try K&L directly. Ill post what I find. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

compare and contrast part numbers if you wish, but cheapcycleparts appears to have all the pieces available.

front caliper fiche for the GS650GL:
http://cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/...front-calipers

for comparison (part numbers for caliper assembly and boots are NOT the same as GL):
front caliper for GS650G (model x)
http://cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/...lipers-model-x

Last edited by Jae; 10-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Odysseus

Still no luck in finding my front brake kit. I received several details to how the part was discontinued a long time ago. I have lost several battles , but "Jae" may be the secret weapon to win this war. I have not come across Cheap Cycle Parts before, but they do look promising in my search. Thanks Jae, signpimp, and bumblebee. I will update soon, after I try to contact them.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

http://www.bikebandit.com/k-l-brake-...ld-kit?m=21388

says it fits. Parts from K&L it's for a front brake caliper.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
http://www.bikebandit.com/k-l-brake-...ld-kit?m=21388

says it fits. Parts from K&L it's for a front brake caliper.
yeah, that same image and that same subject title on amazon got me a new "rear" brake caliper kit...lol. I asked to return for the front, and they said they don't sell it. Then I asked for a refund and a shipping label and they said they shipping would be on my end/cost. So I said screw it, ill keep it for when I do need to change the rear brakes. But now they just lost a promising customer for 2-3 dollars. I know it sounds petty, but to me its the principle and the wasted time at the post office. Plus, they are not the only moto suppliers on the market...

Now for an update. I want to thank everyone, especially Jae, because I called Cheap Cycle Parts today and they did have my part in stock. I was a bit hesitant, due to some reviews online, but they they were mostly about shipping taking longer than normal online businesses and outrageous shipping costs. So I am expecting these to take a few weeks to get in. And ate the $14 shipping cost on 1 rubber seal and 1 rubber caliper boot...hahah. shipping cost more than my parts, but again I was expecting it. Online reviewers suggest purchasing from them when its either a rare part or buying many parts when they are at a good prices. So thanks again everyone, and thanks MotoHouston for having the Vintage/Cafe Racer section.

Ill also update with Cheap Cycle Parts review, just in case anyone else is interested to hear about my buying experience.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

I buy from them all the time with no issues. Shipping cost is high unless your order a lot of parts to where shipping is free. I generally buy from cheapcycleparts Ronayers and bike bandit.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I buy from them all the time with no issues. Shipping cost is high unless your order a lot of parts to where shipping is free. I generally buy from cheapcycleparts Ronayers and bike bandit.
That is good to know, cus my order is still in packaging stage. I know I ordered on Friday afternoon, but I was hoping that on Monday, it would be shipped. Im not worried, many people said Cheap Cycle Parts were a good company, but wished they would shipped orders same/next day of the purchase date rather than a few days.

And thanks CuongNutz for the heads up on your positive feedback with them.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

How long have you had the bike? What are your plans with it?
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

yeah, I usually check CCP to get OEM part numbers and then call the dealership to see if they can get them. If just one small part it's usually cheaper to go thru the dealership, but start ordering a bunch of small stuff of an overhaul type project and the shipping cost will eventually become negligible vs. dealer mark-up.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Odysseus

I received my parts from CCP!!! I got no complaints with CCP and will do business with them again.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
How long have you had the bike? What are your plans with it?
I bought the bike maybe 3 months ago. Planning to make a cafe racer. I made a fiberglass seat and banged the knee indents on the gas tank, which I am thinking was a mistake...lol. Only because its hard to smooth the bondo filler evenly or without small air bubbles, which causes problems when sanding these pin size holes. I think I am on round 3 with bondo/filler and painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
yeah, I usually check CCP to get OEM part numbers and then call the dealership to see if they can get them. If just one small part it's usually cheaper to go thru the dealership, but start ordering a bunch of small stuff of an overhaul type project and the shipping cost will eventually become negligible vs. dealer mark-up.
I will try this out next time, I was just glad to hear that had my part available.

But honestly looking at cafe racer pics online and searching for parts kinda scares me on how much this project can cost. I started off by wanting something cheap and simple for this project, but I can see it get out of hand very quickly. I was thinking about selling and going back to the crotch rocket...but I dunno...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Only because its hard to smooth the bondo filler evenly or without small air bubbles, which causes problems when sanding these pin size holes. I think I am on round 3 with bondo/filler and painting.

Get some glazing putty/paste at a paint store. It usually comes in a tube and is made for filling those small pinholes in bondo. It won't work for big spots but it is great for the little ones.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

I bought the bike maybe 3 months ago. Planning to make a cafe racer. I made a fiberglass seat and banged the knee indents on the gas tank, which I am thinking was a mistake...lol. Only because its hard to smooth the bondo filler evenly or without small air bubbles, which causes problems when sanding these pin size holes. I think I am on round 3 with bondo/filler and painting.

Where did you get it? I sold one of these, last year I think..... Is it blue?

Have pics?
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Get some glazing putty/paste at a paint store. It usually comes in a tube and is made for filling those small pinholes in bondo. It won't work for big spots but it is great for the little ones.
I thought about this for the pin holes, but thinking back on my mistakes, I realized it was when I mixed the filler compounds. From scooping it out of the can to mixing it, I realized I was creating/getting air bubbles, even when I used the technique of flattening/spreading out the filler and compounds vs just mixing or folding it. And also when I sanded, I realized I put too much pressure, which caused minor scratch lines which I didn't see until painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
Where did you get it? I sold one of these, last year I think..... Is it blue?
Have pics?
Naw, the one I bought was black. I am planning on working on the bike today, so I will take some pics and post tonight.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Odysseus

Here are some pics of my cafe project. I have only made the seat, banged in the tank, and cut the front fender. I have added slip-on bars and have, but not yet, wrapped the pipes or installed the head light bracket. I will be painting the front rim, forks, panels, and headlight.

This is my first bike project, and I am open to all good/bad criticism.

Note: sorry about the chopped background, garage is a mess

Click image for larger version

Name:	my bike 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	73707

Name:	my bike 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	73708