MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Alleykat

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Ducati questions for owners + which dealership to go to?

I'm in the market for a new bike after being out for a year or so.I've owned a Rebel250,Ninja 650r,CBR600rr,R6 and last a GSXR750.I work a lot and I feel like treating myself to a Ducati.

Always liked the white 848's with red wheels but - should I settle? Is there even such a thing as settling in this case?

The 1199 Panigale is gorgeous looking.Will i regret not getting one if i go 848?Lunsford has a new one at a nice price and a couple S models around $20k used.

Can some owners give me some pros and cons? Maintenance woes or anything worth mentioning. I care less to track it.Go ahead and call me a poser.I have maybe a few hours every week to myself. Ain't nobody got time fo dat! - the track.I just wanna have an enjoyable cruise around town when I do have a work break.

Also saw a Ducati Diavel carbon with twisty spoked wheels which was tempting as well but they wanted $23k+the rest.

Lastly what dealer do you guys recommend? I went to Mancuso to try and close on a used Panigale for $20k. I pointed out many flaws on a repainted gas tank ,which they didnt know had been repainted,and they didn't wanna go lower so I passed.Also the tail light didn't work but they said it prob rattled loose?

Duc owners chime in.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW S1000rr Owners.....Questions for ya. ZXALAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 178 04-01-2014 10:54 AM
Attempted Robbery @ Ducati Dealership ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 09-12-2012 07:48 AM
Ducati Owners Checkin here morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 70 09-03-2011 11:35 PM
ducati dealership in WI going outta business, selling inventory of gear and stuff RACER X Gear Talk 8 10-22-2009 05:08 PM
Questions for small business owners MudBug Off Topic 39 03-17-2009 10:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
The Habernatho

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

I'd say wait for the 899 Panigale to come out. That being said, the 15k mile service on the 1199 requires complete disassembly of the bike and will cost you between $1300-$1900.

Last edited by The Habernatho; 10-07-2013 at 12:51 AM.
The Habernatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

How much do you want to spend?
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
848Brando

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
05 R6 (sold)
06 R1 (sold)
Duc 848 (Sold)

i LOVE my 848
848Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
harrisj02

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ducati Diavel

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
I'm in the market for a new bike after being out for a year or so.I've owned a Rebel250,Ninja 650r,CBR600rr,R6 and last a GSXR750.I work a lot and I feel like treating myself to a Ducati.

Always liked the white 848's with red wheels but - should I settle? Is there even such a thing as settling in this case?

The 1199 Panigale is gorgeous looking.Will i regret not getting one if i go 848?Lunsford has a new one at a nice price and a couple S models around $20k used.

Can some owners give me some pros and cons? Maintenance woes or anything worth mentioning. I care less to track it.Go ahead and call me a poser.I have maybe a few hours every week to myself. Ain't nobody got time fo dat! - the track.I just wanna have an enjoyable cruise around town when I do have a work break.

Also saw a Ducati Diavel carbon with twisty spoked wheels which was tempting as well but they wanted $23k+the rest.

Lastly what dealer do you guys recommend? I went to Mancuso to try and close on a used Panigale for $20k. I pointed out many flaws on a repainted gas tank ,which they didnt know had been repainted,and they didn't wanna go lower so I passed.Also the tail light didn't work but they said it prob rattled loose?

Duc owners chime in.

I just bought a Diavel from Lundsford and it was a good deal. Technically their not a sponsor but... http://inventory.lunsfordshonda.com/.../view/10437377
harrisj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:

Duc owners chime in.
first off, don't take opinions from people who have never owned one. Second, I would always buy used, but Ducati is hurting bad with this new line up that they are practically giving away the new bikes if your credit it good. So that makes it tough. Then their the issue of which one to buy, now if your experienced with bikes don't waste your time with the 899 garbage. you'll want to get rid of it asap and your money would have been wasted. especially on how fast the prices are dropping on the 1199.

Now the bad news, Ducati's are awesome bikes in my opinion and will do a of a lot more than I will ever ask of it, but it costs to maintain. If your going to be about between 150-900 services costs depending on which one it is, then you should stick with a Japanese bike.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

get a bmw 1000rr
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
rhenriksen

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
first off, don't take opinions from people who have never owned one. Second, I would always buy used, but Ducati is hurting bad with this new line up that they are practically giving away the new bikes if your credit it good. So that makes it tough. Then their the issue of which one to buy, now if your experienced with bikes don't waste your time with the 899 garbage. you'll want to get rid of it asap and your money would have been wasted. especially on how fast the prices are dropping on the 1199.

Now the bad news, Ducati's are awesome bikes in my opinion and will do a of a lot more than I will ever ask of it, but it costs to maintain. If your going to be about between 150-900 services costs depending on which one it is, then you should stick with a Japanese bike.
This is all very good advice. Another point to consider is that parts can often take a LONG time to source... so it's useful to have a Japanese bike to ride while the Ducati is on stands, waiting for parts to come over on the slow boat from Italy.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

What about Ducati attract you to the brand? If you are looking at everything from 848 to Panigale to Diavel, I'm guessing you just want a Duc... any Duc, for the sake of being on a Duc. There is nothing wrong with that, but you do have to be honest with yourself, if you want to be happy in the long run.

If you just want to treat yourself to an Italian exotica, there are other ways to go about it that won't break your bank. I would seriously look at the RSV4 or TuonoV4. You can scoop up a '12 for about what you would sink into a Japanese litre bike, now that '13s are coming out with ABS added. They are way more user-friendly than Duc's and maintenance-wise not too far off the Japanese, with performance better than either Duc or Japan, Inc. There is a reason Aprilia is sometimes affectionately known as "Kawasaki of Italy".

No they don't come with "DUCATI" printed on the tank and "desmo" anything in the engine. They don't go "ratatatita", and pulling in the clutch doesn't unleash a can of loose bolts. But that is a good thing in my book.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
What about Ducati attract you to the brand? If you are looking at everything from 848 to Panigale to Diavel, I'm guessing you just want a Duc... any Duc, for the sake of being on a Duc. There is nothing wrong with that, but you do have to be honest with yourself, if you want to be happy in the long run.

If you just want to treat yourself to an Italian exotica, there are other ways to go about it that won't break your bank. I would seriously look at the RSV4 or TuonoV4. You can scoop up a '12 for about what you would sink into a Japanese litre bike, now that '13s are coming out with ABS added. They are way more user-friendly than Duc's and maintenance-wise not too far off the Japanese, with performance better than either Duc or Japan, Inc. There is a reason Aprilia is sometimes affectionately known as "Kawasaki of Italy".

No they don't come with "DUCATI" printed on the tank and "desmo" anything in the engine. They don't go "ratatatita", and pulling in the clutch doesn't unleash a can of loose bolts. But that is a good thing in my book.
As far as I can tell you just explained exactly why he should by the Ducati over the Aprilia

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Hehe... probably so. Like I said, key to happiness is honesty with yourself.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Hehe... probably so. Like I said, key to happiness is honesty with yourself.
For the record, the RSV4 causes a pump tent in my pants every time I think about it... But I would trade my first born daughter for a Ducati 999... I would have to keep the first born son.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
848Brando

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
05 R6 (sold)
06 R1 (sold)
Duc 848 (Sold)

daughter for a 999 = worth it
848Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post

This guy has no idea what he is talking about! Just kidding Sergio! Probably the best guy on here to ask about owning and maintaining a Ducati! Parts can be a to get especially on some older models like my 900SS, had to wait 4 weeks on a pulse generator from Italy; but I own more than one bike, and alot of guys that own Ducatis do own at least one or not 2 other bikes. If you have the patience ane mental fortitude to own one then go for it. Ducatis require extra TLC; but nothing sounds or handles like one.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Alleykat

Thanks for the input guys.Realistically I wouldn't wanna pass 25k.And at that price it would have to be a very charming bike.Passenger compatibility is a must as i usually have a female of the azn type with me.Like I said I work A LOT ,approx 90+ hours a week lol.I do want a Duc for their amazing styling.I have been dealing with Italian cars lately,Lambos,so I'm getting partially attached to Italian makes.

Ive gone fast on cars/bikes.Thats not an interest anymore I just want something that will make me smile when I look at it.I work hard for the money so might as well use it cause I can't use it when I'm dead.Im not too worried about the maintenance cost.

I'm going to look more into the 1199 Panigale and the Diavel.That dam cluster on the Panigale tho!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Alleykat

http://inventory.lunsfordshonda.com/...y/view/9715380

I think this is the one.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.Realistically I wouldn't wanna pass 25k.And at that price it would have to be a very charming bike.Passenger compatibility is a must as i usually have a female of the azn type with me.Like I said I work A LOT ,approx 90+ hours a week lol.I do want a Duc for their amazing styling.I have been dealing with Italian cars lately,Lambos,so I'm getting partially attached to Italian makes.

Ive gone fast on cars/bikes.Thats not an interest anymore I just want something that will make me smile when I look at it.I work hard for the money so might as well use it cause I can't use it when I'm dead.Im not too worried about the maintenance cost.

I'm going to look more into the 1199 Panigale and the Diavel.That dam cluster on the Panigale tho!
It doesnt sound like you plan on piling miles on the bike. I wouldnt worry about Duc maintenance intervals. I dont think you will be racking up 7500 miles/year.

Get the bike that moves you (in your heart, in your groin). You want the bike that you stare at every time you walk to it, but also one that doesnt make your and hurt after a 3 mile cruise for lunch.

If you buy a Duc, get a battery tender!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Most females of the azn type are rather petite, so even the typical sportbike hamberger bun pillion would suffice. But if you are already leaning towards the Diavel, that would be a great 2-up Duc. Diavel is selling like hotcakes, and a lot of owners are snatching up the new Strada seat for better comfort, solo or 2up. Ducati even has Strada conversion kit available that redoes the whole tail end.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
harrisj02

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ducati Diavel

Member Garage

Quote:
Most females of the azn type are rather petite, so even the typical sportbike hamberger bun pillion would suffice. But if you are already leaning towards the Diavel, that would be a great 2-up Duc. Diavel is selling like hotcakes, and a lot of owners are snatching up the new Strada seat for better comfort, solo or 2up. Ducati even has Strada conversion kit available that redoes the whole tail end.
When I bought my diavel I asked if the small backrest could be added easily. The salesman told me the kit to add the backrest required the seat and mount (tail end) with a stated price of 2K. Never confirmed the price though.
harrisj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
That is a good deal. If you get the 1199, make sure to get the sprocket kit (+2 in the rear) and get the latest upmap for better midrange/acceleration.

The Diavel is also a nice bike. I traded mine in last year, but I may end up getting another one.

For 2-up riding, the Diavel is a lot better. The Diavel also has more low end torque, but not the top end rush like the 1199.

Advertisement