MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
the profit margin is on the tire, not on the labor. so when someone comes in with a tire they bought off the net and think they can get it mounted cheap, the shop really loses money.
Do you know how quick and easy it is for a shop to mount and balance a tire???

It's cake and easy money. Nobody looses any money.. Unless you up a rim, deny up said rim and then have to have it sent out for powdercoating to keep the customer happy after the fact. I've never done that but THAT circumstance will lose the shop some money.

But your statement of "the shop really loses money" is completely incorrect unless your tire guys are morons up customers tires. Then there's a money loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eagle cycles not here? Nd tires mounted craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-09-2011 08:46 PM
Great place to have tires mounted? kevinistre General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-09-2009 09:19 AM
Where is a good place in the S.E to get tires mounted? ZXALAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 07-06-2007 10:29 AM
place to get tires mounted mr.haterz General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-29-2006 03:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #22
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Do you know how quick and easy it is for a shop to mount and balance a tire???

It's cake and easy money. Nobody looses any money.. Unless you up a rim, deny up said rim and then have to have it sent out for powdercoating to keep the customer happy after the fact. I've never done that but THAT circumstance will lose the shop some money.

But your statement of "the shop really loses money" is completely incorrect unless your tire guys are morons up customers tires. Then there's a money loss.
his shop has him brainwashed.....

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #23
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
discount tires as in the car place???
Discount Motorcycle Tires on the corner of Shaver and Spencer HWY.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

OK, lets take into consideration the way certain shops run as you mentioned. There are still many shops out there that can mount a tire and not "lose money". Can't really say, as a general statement, that shops lose money on mounting tires. I guess that's my main point.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Discount MC tire and On the Border is one in the same.
And for clarification, the tire pressure wasnt the big issue. It was them basically telling me to get that lost them my business
Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Bring your bike to a trackday and have one of the on site vendors do it for $20 - $30 for a set of two, mounted and balanced. And guaranteed someone will have stands you can borrow.

I changed 3 sets of tires this weekend. Takes about 10 minutes including removing and reinstalling safety wire. We had John Hutchinson swap them out, takes him about 10 minutes also. We swapped DOT's for slicks between race 6 and 11 with time for a suspension set up and lunch in the meantime.

It's just not that hard to do when you are in the habit. But if you are gonna get all butthurt (this is me with new stuff, LOL) about a little scratch here or there, take it to a shop that specializes in not making you butthurt and just spends your money in exchange.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
depends on how you define "losing money". the average person considers losing money as it costing you, money out of pocket/drawer to perform an action.

A business defines losing money as "potential earnings lost". If you're doing a tire job for say $30 that takes 30 minutes instead of doing a regular service job that takes an minimum 1hour shop rate (~$80-$90) for the same amount of time then effectively you're "losing" $50. Hope that makes sense.

Or reworded, your tech just spent 30mins to bring $30 into the shop. Whereas he could have otherwise spent 30mins and charged a min shop rate of 1 hour ($80) instead. But he was tied up dealing with a tire change. (and who on earth is gonna be ok with $80 to change a tire? That's why they need to get the margin on the tire as well or else its considered a money losing job.)
On the other side of the token, "any business is good business" can apply here. I do see your point here but if it were my shop, I wouldn't turn down tire business because I wouldn't look at this situation as potential earnings lost. I see it as taking care of a customer's needs who then would have a higher chance of coming back and spending more money on other items. I think that would at least balance itself out. From my experience in a motorcycle shop, that's normally the case. Not a big money maker but return customers are what keep bringing in money. Profits in the long run can easily overcome a fraction of your customers coming in with their own tires for you to mount up. Turning away business because "it's not worth the time vs. cost" may not be the best approach IMO.

I'll use the term instant gratification here. Can't always make the big margins on EVERY sale and in the grand scheme of things, it's a small hurdle to overcome. Lot's of ways to view this arguement, anyways. That's just my take on it with past experiences.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

I believe mantoe would suggest 2 Wheel Toyz
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
Nocturnal_Rod

Feedback Rating: (1)

Well I found out yesterday 2 wheel toys can't mount HD wheels so it looks like I'll be going to discount tire/ on the border.

2 wheel toys actually recommended me there for HD tire installs.
Nocturnal_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
BD#270

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-10R race bike
2016 Honda Grom
CRF 250

Send a message via AIM to BD#270
What brand of tire are you looking for? I'll be happy to give you a Motohouston price for a Harley tire. I can usually order a tire and receive it the following day.
BD#270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #31
Nocturnal_Rod

Feedback Rating: (1)

Metzler 260/40r18
Nocturnal_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
BD#270

Bike(s):