MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Rade

Feedback Rating: (0)

Collecting gear. Opinions please!

Hey MH guys how's it goin. Looking to take the MSF basic and get my first bike early next year but will start collecting gear in the meantime. Did a search and couldn't come up with anything consequential so I'm asking for opinions now. First thing on my list is boots. That being looking for opinions on leather vs synthetic. Steel toe vs not. Lace vs clip vs velcro. All help is greatly appreciated! Also I plan on bringing all my gear questions back to this thread so if it pops to the top of the list I need hemlp again lol. Thanks!
Rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions/Advice on kids gear. Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 12-10-2014 12:56 PM
Newbie looking for opinions on my new safety/theft protection gear Nuclear Gear Talk 21 12-27-2012 10:56 AM
Opinions on "Bionic" gear for street duty BYRDMAN Gear Talk 19 06-15-2011 04:02 PM
Need opinions and pointers from the track guys on my gear Coastie_Joe Safety Corner Main 5 06-24-2010 12:33 PM
collecting your new bike Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 11-01-2008 08:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Sidi Cobra's are a good street boot that wont break the bank.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Rade

Those are really awesome looking. A little more than I was expecting price wise, but hey, if its gonna protect my may as well spend the cash right?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Rorschach
SlowPoke

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
01 cbr929rr fireblade

I would def suggest over the ankle hoots, brands, you wipp find too many, my personal problem is the fit. I'd suggest a leather jacket, may run you up high but they do help, and never under estimate the helmet, invest on a good one, will help out, in ways other than a crash. Good luck out there bud.

This city it's afraid of me...I have seen ITS true face.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
848Brando

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 FJ-09
05 R6 (sold)
06 R1 (sold)
Duc 848 (Sold)

Do Not cut corners with gear because of cost. The return in the event of a crash is well worth savings in pain and medical bills
848Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
As some have pointed out, don't cut corners because of cost, but bear in mind also, some brands are more focused on function than style, and their pricing reflects that. Some of the more boring looking gear is actually very good and some of the really stylish stuff is not worth the price.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

My opinion on boots is this:

I shop for a good brand (NOT the most expensive). I ride with Teknics. AGV makes good gear without paying Sidi prices, too. I ride with tall boots. Ankle protection is important to me. I also only shop for boots with some sort of range of motion restriction (keeps ankle form bending backwards and breaking). Replaceable parts are nice, but not needed. You wont be scaping your boots up like a GP rider.

Finding something that is comfortable to walk in AND offering great protection will be a hard thing to do. I accept the fact that mine squeak, and are stiff to walk in. I am confident they will do their job if called upon.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Trish

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

IMO Alpinestars boots are more comfortable and fit a wider range of people. Some find that Sidis are snug or narrow or not as comfortable for walking around. I agree with those saying ankle protection is key. I would recommend the A*s SMX Plus as a good all around boot. They are great for walking in, and are great for the track. My husband wrecked in his and his ankle was fine, and the boots only have minor scuffs.

As for gloves, don't cheap out on them. I got $30 gloves for the class and figured I would learn what I liked as time went by... I learned that I wanted nicer gloves to improve grip, comfort and protection. I ended up with Alpinestars Stella SP-1s which are a women's glove... I think the mens equivalent is the regular SP-1. Don't waste the $30 up front, just go for something better from the start.

As for a jacket, leather is best, next best would be textile. Don't cheap out on a jacket, but you also don't need the most expensive. It doesn't always mean it's best. Find something that FITS the best and has good protection.

Don't forget about your knees. Get some comfortable knee protection that you don't mind wearing
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Rade

Knee protection is something I skipped on the gear check. Thanks. Helmets are next in line. Ideas on modular vs standard? I'm going for full face coverage as well. No brain baskets for me lol.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rade View Post
Knee protection is something I skipped on the gear check. Thanks. Helmets are next in line. Ideas on modular vs standard? I'm going for full face coverage as well. No brain baskets for me lol.
Modular are heavier. They will fatigue your neck more on longer rides.

Most helmets on the market willl give good protection. The big differences are fit (try them all on), wind noise, and the aforementioned weight.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Modular helmets are noisier and tend to be a bit heavier. However, they are pretty versatile and allow you to have a few different helmets for the price of one. If you're going to wear it like a full face though, just get a full face. You'll be happier with it.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Rade

Allright. Sounds good. I have a helmet that is used and fits well but was in a minor accident. I wil be getting rid of it for sure based on some of the info on here. Everyone has said leather is the vest so far. So my next question is what is the difference between leather jacket vs Kevlar? And what about the jackets and such with the reinforced/armored plates? Worth it or gimmick?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Leather is a whole lot durable and you can still wear it again after a crash. Kevlar is mostly used in riding jeans as it's more durable and less prone to tearing/ripping upon contact. Textile is a lighter choice in fabric and breathes a whole lot better than leather. A lot of people choose this or mesh for hot weather riding but does not offer much against abrasion protection in the event of a long slide. If you go down and go into a long slide, the textile will melt to your skin if you're not wearing anything underneath.

Most jackets have CE rated armor in the shoulders and elbows. Some come with a cheap back pad which you can replace with CE rated padding/armor.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

I love my Sidi Vertigo Airs. I commuted with them for a little bit before I sold my street bike. Sidis are very comfortable. Your best bet is to go try boot choices on and see what feels best for you.

I'd also recommend a leather jacket and over the wrist leather gloves.

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Another thing to note, your jacket should be fitted so that the armor underneath doesn't shift around if you were go down.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Rade

All right. Sounds good guys. Should anyone else have anything to add I'm all ears. Looks like most the basics are covered. Gonna start hunting for retailers seeing as how everything pretty much requires a try on LOL. Any advice for retailers in north west Houston would be great. I know I can Google search it but Google doesnt have the experience you guys have.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Allright. Sounds good. I have a helmet that is used and fits well but was in a minor accident. I wil be getting rid of it for sure based on some of the info on here. Everyone has said leather is the vest so far. So my next question is what is the difference between leather jacket vs Kevlar? And what about the jackets and such with the reinforced/armored plates? Worth it or gimmick?
Used helmet that has been wrecked in? Wouldn't use it. They're basically one-time-use items.

Leather: Best abrasion resistance at a higher cost and less ventilation. You may find it too hot for Houston.

Textiles: These have come a long way. Many modern textiles are almost as abrasion resistant as leather at less than half the weight and about 70% of the cost. Oh yeah - they breathe a LOT better than leather too.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
All right. Sounds good guys. Should anyone else have anything to add I'm all ears. Looks like most the basics are covered. Gonna start hunting for retailers seeing as how everything pretty much requires a try on LOL. Any advice for retailers in north west Houston would be great. I know I can Google search it but Google doesnt have the experience you guys have.
Motorcycles Unlimited and Two Wheel Toys. Honda of Houston is also a good place to go.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

Back protector is a good investment as well. Forcefield L2K ftmfw.

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Northwest wise, you can try Honda of Houston. don't know any others out that area.

Cycle gear, and 2 wheel toyz are your best bets at trying on gear

Motorcycles Unlimited can size you and order what you need.

Advertisement