MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Super Motards
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
WishUWereWill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
01 Honda Shadow ACE
04 CRF 450r - SOLD

How to get a Crf450r plated?

Whats up guys,

I just moved to Houston from Southern California and heard you could plate dirt bikes here I was just wondering:

1.)What exactly do I need for it to be street legal? (headlight,taillight,DOT tires, mirrors, horn, etc)

2.)Where do I need to go or who do I need to see to get the bike inspected after I have installed the street legal parts?
Any advice would be really helpful!

Im sure they're a thousand posts like this, but thanks again in advance. Im going crazy seeing my bike sit in my apartment not being rode! Looking forward to hopefully riding with some of you soon!
WishUWereWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need 2 stroke cylinder re-plated anatram Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 07-11-2014 01:44 PM
Yoshi slip on for 08 crf450r Tbean311 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 03-09-2013 02:04 PM
my 06 crf 450R sumo conversion PLATED bburns4667 Super Motards 4 08-03-2012 12:48 PM
MOTARD Gearing CRF450R Question cdill35 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 16 06-20-2009 11:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
scraperbike

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
crf450x

Needs high beam/low beam tail/brake light horn and a mirror after that go get an out of state inspection form when you get it state inspected. Then bring that form(130u) or something Plus insurance and your title o the dmv and that's about it
scraperbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

I just plated a WR426 last week. and this is my post on ADV on what needs to be done:

The inspection "green sheet" is a VI-30, you WILL need this. You will get this from whomever
inspects the bike.

For inspection, you will need:
one mirror
a horn ( I used a squeeze horn)
DOT tires
High/low beam with a switch
Tail light/ brake light/ plate light
the brake light is *supposed* to be actuated by both the hand and foot levers.

That is all for the inspetion.

The U-130 MUST be filled out. IF you are trading for it make sure you write down/ fill in the blanks with the make model and VIN (stuff you are trading), if trading for something else, make a note of it. A bill of sale will help on this.

As for title or not, I do not know, but a call to the tax office will help with this.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
WishUWereWill

Bike(s):
01 Honda Shadow ACE
04 CRF 450r - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperbike View Post
Needs high beam/low beam tail/brake light horn and a mirror after that go get an out of state inspection form when you get it state inspected. Then bring that form(130u) or something Plus insurance and your title o the dmv and that's about it
hahahaha ScraperBike love the name and thanks for the help it seems easier than I first thought.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
WishUWereWill

Bike(s):
01 Honda Shadow ACE
04 CRF 450r - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
I just plated a WR426 last week. and this is my post on ADV on what needs to be done:

The inspection "green sheet" is a VI-30, you WILL need this. You will get this from whomever
inspects the bike.

For inspection, you will need:
one mirror
a horn ( I used a squeeze horn)
DOT tires
High/low beam with a switch
Tail light/ brake light/ plate light
the brake light is *supposed* to be actuated by both the hand and foot levers.

That is all for the inspetion.

The U-130 MUST be filled out. IF you are trading for it make sure you write down/ fill in the blanks with the make model and VIN (stuff you are trading), if trading for something else, make a note of it. A bill of sale will help on this.

As for title or not, I do not know, but a call to the tax office will help with this.
Thanks for the detailed help!... Do you suggest I buy a "street legal kit" for the bike from a site like Motostrano or would it be better to buy the parts individually?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

The kits are honestly the easiest way to go. Unless u like building ur own wiring harness and wiring up ur own connectors. Might save some bucks but its worth the frustration. Baja designs, Tusk racing are a few....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

You don't need a hi/lo beam. Some of them try to tell you that it is needed but the dmv website has a list of needed equipment and it is not on there. Just take the list with you and show them if you don't want to put a hi/lo switch on there. To really enjoy your new home you should go get a two stroke plated and attend a gun show to buy an ak47 with nothing more than a drivers license and a handshake.

Last edited by brandontx; 09-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishUWereWill View Post
Thanks for the detailed help!... Do you suggest I buy a "street legal kit" for the bike from a site like Motostrano or would it be better to buy the parts individually?
I did not wnat to spend $500 on a kit.

I dont like the style of the headlight most come with, plus the WR already had a front light housing. You can spend from $50 to $150 for a light

I bought the H4 bulb
Got the 3 way light plug from NAPA, for....$8
The tail light/ brake light is a $30 part
$40 for two brake pressure switches
$30 for the Tusk (RockyMountainATV) mini switch (hi/low, turn, horn)
(will add signals on a later date)
I got a set of Pirelli MT21s....$200 for both

1 Mirror....if you actually USE a mirror, I suggest this:
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/
I had an Acerbis laying around.....its suxxors the .

So roughly $210 you can have a kit the way YOU want it, and stupid simple to wire it up.

If you buy the parts, we can have a tech day in my garage and wire it all up in about 2 hours.

Almost forgot, I have an extra H4 plug, if someone is DS'ing (DualSporting) a bike, I will give it to them.
Only catch is you HAVE to be trying to plate one

Last edited by Truckin_Thumper; 09-22-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

For the crf450r, i'd probably go with a baja designs kit that some with all that stuff. Unless you don't mind buying things individually and doing the wiring that comes with it. I got spoiled with my WR. Wiring was minimal as it already came with a running headlight and taillight. I just had to wired in the hi-low beam, a horn, pressure switch off my rear brake and into the tail light and then wire in the keyed ignition switch. I also didn't have to worry about upgrading my stator, either, which was nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

PM me if you need an inspection and don't want to stress over pass / fail or that pesky DOT standard. I got a hookup still...

Advertisement