MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #81
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
But I also know that when im flying(what if feels like to me) I go wide on most turns that require me to, and im not that fast so I believe that going wide can be beneficial when at a faster pace.
As your pace increases, yes, you will use more of the track. That's what I meant when I said "drifting out on the power."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Yes I see your point... In fact it has been something that I have thought about however.... having them drive to marks helps them understand that those marks exist
So why not set them inboard of the edge giving the faster dudes a little space around the outside? Especially when you're ridemart, and stating that your lvl1 classes are teaching street skills. Driving your streetbike precariously close to the dropoff doesn't sound like a useful skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
because you arent saying hey straight line drive to each one of these tip in points.
You're not actually saying anything. But you are, in effect, demonstrating this.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #82
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

there's a lot of opportunities to pass in level 1 safely i feel like, its easy to pass in there. (even when i started track days)
Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #83
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
there's a lot of opportunities to pass in level 1 safely i feel like, its easy to pass in there. (even when i started track days)
Not when you have 1000cc bikes that park it in a corner but then gun it on the straight, happened to me at 3T

Last edited by Donte; 09-19-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #84
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

There is a lot of room...................on the inside where they won't let you pass. I found myself waiting till the straights or taking horribly contorted lines to get things done.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #85
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Not when you have liter bikes that park it in a corner but then gun it on the straight, happened to me at 3T
its really hard to get a drive out on a 1000 so what you can do on a 600 is instead of being on their and trying to get the drive out on them you can space yourself behind that person so you can take the corner faster then them catching up to them and use that momentum to pass them easily. but sometimes you have like bunched up people in level 1, a group of like 10 people and you just dont to work through passing all those people so you can pit out real quick and then hop back on the track where there is open space
Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #86
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
There is a lot of room...................on the inside where they won't let you pass. I found myself waiting till the straights or taking horribly contorted lines to get things done.
You ride in novice?
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #87
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
its really hard to get a drive out on a 1000 so what you can do on a 600 is instead of being on their and trying to get the drive out on them you can space yourself behind that person so you can take the corner faster then them catching up to them and use that momentum to pass them easily. but sometimes you have like bunched up people in level 1, a group of like 10 people and you just dont to work through passing all those people so you can pit out real quick and then hop back on the track where there is open space
Pretty much what I did, just hot pitted so I could be by my lonesome. I hated being bunched up with a lot of people but I do like to follow others lines to see if its better or faster.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #88
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
"just because you ride level 2 with a certain different org doesnt mean you can keep a intermediate pace with fastline. Which I now know that's complete bs.
I got the same speech when I did my first track day with fastline a couple years ago. I took their advice and went into level 1 despite having done a Level 2 day before. In the second round robin (where the instructor follows you), i was taking it easy in the straights and going hard in the corners. By the time I looked back on the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway) to let the riders pass me, they were a couple hundred yards behind me. So I just took off. It made for a pretty unenjoyable day. It irked me for a long time actually and I haven't been back since. Why they thought their levels were so much faster than everyone else's was beyond me. I've since got over it, but it's funny that its still happening a couple years later. I have a lot of friends that are instructors over there and I know they're not like that, which is why I finally changed my mind. I look forward to taking Brandon Cleland's class someday. He's a super nice guy who happens to be stupid fast too.

Quote:
As a rider of a small displacement bike, you should be well aware that, ESPECIALLY at a beginner's pace, it's hardly ever applicable.

This is actually one of misgivings with all orgs lvl 1 instruction on ""the line."" They're showing people a line that actually makes them think steering towards the outer edge of the track (because nobody is actually drifting on the power out that wide) is what they're supposed to be doing...and then they tell you you can only pass on the outside.

So basically you're telling your slow riders to block the faster guys on purpose. Although they don't actually know it.
The reason organizations want people on the line is for predictability. If you tell people to only drift out as much as they need to, that would put people all over the track on the exit of a turn. How is that making it safer for people trying to pass?

If everyone is on the same line, it makes passing easier. We tell people to NOT pass on the outside exiting turns. Because people are drifting out.

What you are saying is HIGHLY misleading. Passing is allowed on the outside of SOME corners. You can pass wherever you want on the straights. So what you are saying is wrong. I'm not speaking for everyone, but I encourage my faster riders to work on their passing. Passing, like everything else on the track, is a skill that is acquired by practicing. I will not move someone up to level 2 if they can't pass someone safely in level 1. I tell my students this all the time. The key to passing is planning ahead. This goes from Level 1 students to the fastest guys in the world. When someone asked Ty Howard how he passed Danny Kelsey at TWS (Texas World Speedway), Ty said he actually rehearsed his drive and move coming out of T7 a few times before he actually made the pass. Umayr can confirm this, as I worked with him on this a little at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I encourage my students that are trying to pass a bike that might be faster...or at least equally as fast on the straights (when they are faster in the corners) to let the rider in front get a little bit ahead of them. As you are approaching the corner, time it to where you can be at your normal pace and close to the rider in front as that rider is drifting out. Hit a little bit of a late apex and come up under the rider on exit.

That's the safest way to pass. You get it done early on the straight, you get it done quickly, and the bike in front is drifting away from you.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #89
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Pretty much what I did, just hot pitted so I could be by my lonesome. I hated being bunched up with a lot of people but I do like to follow others lines to see if its better or faster.
yeah you were looking pretty good out there, just get comfortable passing though and get good at it... because when you move into level 2, passing is going to be harder. I saw that you were killing it in the chicane at TWS (Texas World Speedway) every time i saw you out there, i think youre almost ready or ready for level 2. Just have someone follow you
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #90
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post

The reason organizations want people on the line is for predictability. If you tell people to only drift out as much as they need to, that would put people all over the track on the exit of a turn. How is that making it safer for people trying to pass?

If everyone is on the same line, it makes passing easier. We tell people to NOT pass on the outside exiting turns. Because people are drifting out.

What you are saying is HIGHLY misleading. Passing is allowed on the outside of SOME corners. You can pass wherever you want on the straights. So what you are saying is wrong. I'm not speaking for everyone, but I encourage my faster riders to work on their passing. Passing, like everything else on the track, is a skill that is acquired by practicing. I will not move someone up to level 2 if they can't pass someone safely in level 1. I tell my students this all the time. The key to passing is planning ahead. This goes from Level 1 students to the fastest guys in the world. When someone asked Ty Howard how he passed Danny Kelsey at TWS (Texas World Speedway), Ty said he actually rehearsed his drive and move coming out of T7 a few times before he actually made the pass. Umayr can confirm this, as I worked with him on this a little at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I encourage my students that are trying to pass a bike that might be faster...or at least equally as fast on the straights (when they are faster in the corners) to let the rider in front get a little bit ahead of them. As you are approaching the corner, time it to where you can be at your normal pace and close to the rider in front as that rider is drifting out. Hit a little bit of a late apex and come up under the rider on exit.

That's the safest way to pass. You get it done early on the straight, you get it done quickly, and the bike in front is drifting away from you.
-Cody

You should have read me following post

CMRA #302
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #91
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
You ride in novice?
Not anymore, but I did more days in novice than most people in this thread have done total trackdays.

CMRA #302
Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #92
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
You should have read me following post
Passing on exit around the outside will always be a more dangerous pass than on the inside. That is why it is encouraged NOT to pass on the outside EXITING a corner. Yet you still keep repeating that Ride Smart doesn't allow that...which has never been said.
-Cody
Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #93
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

You should all know that novice is a wide range of skill levels.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #94
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Quote:

-Cody
yeah, my post i got from cody, i was telling him its harder to pass 1000's when he worked with me at TWS (Texas World Speedway) because i kept trying to win the drive out on them but it made sense i cant always get the drive out when i have a older 600
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #95
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Passing on exit around the outside will always be a more dangerous pass than on the inside. That is why it is encouraged NOT to pass on the outside EXITING a corner. Yet you still keep repeating that Ride Smart doesn't allow that...which has never been said.
-Cody

Well, I haven't done a novice day with Ride Smart in two+ years so it could be that you've either changed your rules or improved your novice classes to better convey those rules so I'll take your word for it.

CMRA #302
Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #96
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

It was like that when I did my first track day in 2010.
-Cody
Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #97
Candace
KweenB

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R x2 (1 track/1 street)
09 Kawi ZX6R (RIP)
09 Kawi 250R SE (sold)
2008 Kawi ZZR 600 (sold)
2008 Kawi Ninja 500R (sold)

Riders and CW's alike are taught the difference btwn an inside pass and a pass coming OUT of a turn. Once the bike is at apex or later, and standing up drifting out, it is no longer an inside pass. It is then very acceptable to get past ppl on the inside at this point. They are also told that this method is much safer than trying to pass on the outside when the rider in front is potentially drifting wide on exit. I've been doing TD's since 2009, and it's always been that way.

Last edited by Candace; 09-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #98
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I've been doing TD's since 2009,
Young un....
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #99
Candace
KweenB

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R x2 (1 track/1 street)
09 Kawi ZX6R (RIP)
09 Kawi 250R SE (sold)
2008 Kawi ZZR 600 (sold)
2008 Kawi Ninja 500R (sold)

LOL Yeah. (Thanks for calling me young, BTW, Staton. HAHA!) But I've done over 70+ TD's.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #100
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Well since I started doing Trackdays in 2012...

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement