MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #41
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
If someone passes you , how would you see their numbers?
Essentially, this is all you would see:
i Q8jXfBX X3 (credit to racer997 for picture)
BOOM! Racing cars is a whole other world. When you bump someone you still have a cage.
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #42
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

There's always golf...

24796 trackdays golfisforpansies thumb 4b77ab1c5f605

My first track day many years ago, I was on a VFR400R in rented leathers and red wing boots....I was lost as and embarrassed by how slow I was. First thought was "what the am I doing out here!?" Then I put my big girl panties on and tried it again. Been riding track days ever since; laughing most of the time while I am out there.

I'm still slow today, just not embarrassed or uncomfortable...and love every minute of it.

Give it another try, you may have just had a group full of asshats...or you're a pansie. Next time out will determine which it is. I figure it's the first option.

If not, at least be self aware and accept it.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 09-18-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

My 1st track day sucked. My cousins and friends that I ride street with and helped teach how to ride I couldn't keep up with on the track. Yes it sucked. But now I just ride my ride and I've improved. You will too. You'll see
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #44
Rowdy76

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
There's always golf...

24796 trackdays golfisforpansies thumb 4b77ab1c5f605

My first track day many years ago, I was on a VFR400R in rented leathers and red wing boots....I was lost as and embarrassed by how slow I was. First thought was "what the am I doing out here!?" Then I put my big girl panties on and tried it again. Been riding track days ever since; laughing most of the time while I am out there.

I'm still slow today, just not embarrassed or uncomfortable...and love every minute of it.

Give it another try, you may have just had a group full of asshats...or you're a pansie. Next time out will determine which it is. I figure it's the first option.

If not, at least be self aware and accept it.
You know this exact thought crossed my mind. Before I even posted .. hence why I waited a couple days .. was maybe I just got my panties in a wad. After hearing a few stories from this thread it may have been a little bit of both. After looking at the pics from the Blair I really I was like .... I need to get down I suck lol.

This thread has made me feel a little better. I mean I hear how everyone just loves the track so I was like how can I walk away with a "blah" feeling. Seems a few have had this feeling so I dont feel so bad at this point.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #45
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

My first track day I was nervous, didnt know wtf was going on and didnt follow the line. a buncha track days later now i still dont know whats going on and barely know the line but im not nervous anymore
Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

One thing I'd like to offer. Ignore the bullshit about "body position". I hear those "in the know" telling new riders that they need to work on "bp". Horse hockey.

No offense as it applies to me as well, but concentrate on proper lines and bike placement, then braking and accelerating smoothly. As you get faster, then you can work on body position. I see lots of new riders out that have been coached on body position and they look like Tron going in slow motion.

The first priority is to get comfortable and have fun, the other stuff will develop over time.

Good luck, I hope to see you out there.

Staton
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 09-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #47
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

shouldnt he start playing with body position now though, that way he'll form a good habit so once he gets faster he wont have to make that new muscle memory? I think you should practice all that on a track day, line right now is most important i think. I wouldnt go into a track day and for the whole day not worry about body position or ignore it. I do get that what he's saying though about the "tron going in slow mo" hahaha.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #48
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
shouldnt he start playing with body position now though, that way he'll form a good habit so once he gets faster he wont have to make that new muscle memory? I think you should practice all that on a track day, line right now is most important i think. I wouldnt go into a track day and for the whole day not worry about body position or ignore it. I do get that what he's saying though about the "tron going in slow mo" hahaha.
First off, my disclaimer...I'm no instructor. But based on my experience, you don't need to be hanging off a bike with your knee down running 2:15's (plus) at MSRH. I generally go out and have fun for the first few sessions, IF I decide to pick it up and push myself, I find I have to adjust my body position (not very much) to make the turns at the faster pace. I truly think most beginning track riders are better off riding in whatever position is COMFORTABLE to them as they get acclimated to the track.

I'll defer to experienced instructors, but for me and those I have been around starting off, the priority was getting acclimated to the track environment.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #49
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
My opinion: no. At a certain pace, good body position oversteers the bike, and you and up quadruple apexing things trying to hang off.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #50
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
My opinion: no. At a certain pace, good body position oversteers the bike, and you and up quadruple apexing things trying to hang off.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

These are my fav pics of the day ... again no knee draggin but I used every bit of track in that corner

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...wImage=2253776

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...wImage=2253777

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...wImage=2253778

I gotta buy these just so I can compare to the next time.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 09-18-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #52
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

i remember like my 2nd track day i tried moving my body over more in a corner and it threw my off, i over steered the bike and ran off the track, actually i was going so slow i didnt really run off i just came to a stop on the side of track and looked around and then just kept going crazy oh moment going like 30 mph, but wouldnt it throw you off even more when you get faster?

and ! that really makes me think of how much ive improved since my first track day
Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #53
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
I think a good start is just to get the shoulders and head off to the inside of the turn and the rest of the body will follow. So later when really moving around on the seat, you end up with a good body line parallel to the motorcycle and don't end up later riding with your off the seat but the torso and head left up over the tank. I see too many new riders worried about really hanging off the seat and forgetting about the upper body and being all crossed up.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #54
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

I barely remember any bikes or riders from my first track day.
I do remember my experience was not nerves or me crashing.......It was two things.

I DONT KNOW THESE OTHER RIDERS
and
How can I go as fast as that dude on A Level !?!?!

Even after 34 years of riding, I still get nervous riding with unknown riders.
I am not worried about going to fast, cars, cows, sand in the corners, I do however get concerned with unknown riders.

I dont like sitting on a shoulder waiting on a meat wagon, or explaining to the cops how some guy waded up his bike. I still worry about someone pushing it and taking me out with them.

Track days I grew more easy with it, street........I will leave a ride after 3 miles if I am not comfie with the group. I can kill myself just fine without any help.

If you keep riding track, You will develop yours skills for survival in urban commute

Tuff it out
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #55
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
^This. I'm not a racer, not an instructor and I'm not fast, but I'm pretty consistent. I see no reason to hang off the bike in Lvl 1. Most people have no idea the effect that their head and shoulders have on the bike. When inexperienced riders get off the seat they're usually riding crossed up. If they're hanging off, slight head and shoulder movement has a HUGE effect on the bike. I see people hang off their bikes and freak out the second it starts to lean "too far," even though the bike isn't far off vertical. I really think that there should be more emphasis on head and shoulder positioning for new riders so they can get comfortable leaning their bikes.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #56
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

I think you need more seat time before you get to the track. Just simple easy riding ... Lots of miles... Then when you feel a little more comfortable and confident and the itch to push ... Hit the track.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #57
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
I think you need more seat time before you get to the track. Just simple easy riding ... Lots of miles... Then when you feel a little more comfortable and confident and the itch to push ... Hit the track.
The voice of wisdom.....
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #58
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Sup old man ... was waiting for you to chime in. The track did not scare me. I was actually pushing it and had to dial back a notch cause I blew the Bus Stop two laps in a row. So I backed down a bit. I was for sure attacking corners with way more confidence than I had a few days before when I went on a little forest run. So I will not stop my street riding by no means. I will not treat the street like the track either. I just put my mirrors back on the bike so its gonna be funny riding with them again.

I am kind of shocked the track did not scare me. I took to it like a duck to water .. what I did not take to was the asshats riding around me. Maybe I put myself in a bubble thinking that would not happen there so I will for sure take that out of the picture because it seems like they are everywhere.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #59
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
haha.

anyways Rowdy lets go the the track. I got defensive driving to take care of!!! LOL
But not TWS (Texas World Speedway) I hear.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #60
bluepine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Sup old man ... was waiting for you to chime in. The track did not scare me. I was actually pushing it and had to dial back a notch cause I blew the Bus Stop two laps in a row. So I backed down a bit. I was for sure attacking corners with way more confidence than I had a few days before when I went on a little forest run. So I will not stop my street riding by no means. I will not treat the street like the track either. I just put my mirrors back on the bike so its gonna be funny riding with them again.

I am kind of shocked the track did not scare me. I took to it like a duck to water .. what I did not take to was the asshats riding around me. Maybe I put myself in a bubble thinking that would not happen there so I will for sure take that out of the picture because it seems like they are everywhere.
Trust me. The second time will be a lot different.

Advertisement