MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
jk13

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
03 CBR600RR
10 S1000rr

P.S. All that said, I will always be more comfortable on the track than on the street. If nothing else, everyone is going the same direction.
jk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
A second issue comes up with identification. It's difficult to report dangerous behavior when you have so little to identify those who are responsible. Now you can call me a noob, because I'm not going to be able to identify exactly what type of bike you're on when we're on track and I'm more interested in riding my ride. I don't know how effective this would be, but I feel like having numbers on our bikes would make both this job easier for everyone involved (corner workers, riders, instructors, even spectators).
Honestly, pick out one identifying factor. Every rider has SOMETHING unqiue going on. You don't have to know "oh, it was a guy on an '07 R6 with an m4 exhaust and blue dianese leathers."

Not detailed enough would be "black bike black leathers" but you don't have to be super-accurate either.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

try again. Maybe with Lone Star Track Days!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
jk13

Bike(s):
03 CBR600RR
10 S1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Honestly, pick out one identifying factor. Every rider has SOMETHING unqiue going on. You don't have to know "oh, it was a guy on an '07 R6 with an m4 exhaust and blue dianese leathers."

Not detailed enough would be "black bike black leathers" but you don't have to be super-accurate either.
So, I should take more time to figure out what that rider has going on that's different than every other rider on the track? That's better than knowing that ever rider has a unique number and every number is in a known location (tail and on the sides for example)?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Track is not for everyone
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I won't turn this into a "go ride here with these guys" cuz they do it better....but, every org is different (note TMAX's post ). I no longer ride the track (and there have been HUGE improvements made since I got out of the game no doubt), but I'll stick with my theory of "you get what you pay for". If the org offers abnormally lower prices, they're stacking the grid, not giving instruction or (insert some other reason here) to give you that price. While a seasoned rider is ok with sharing the track with 40-50 others, someone new may not. Another good rule of thumb is to pull into hot pit if you find yourself around a bunch of douchebags riding erratically.

Personally, I would not write off the track....I would, however, suggest that you try another outfit/day and see how they stack up. Sounds like a bad group to me....Ride Smart seems to be getting better and better about controlling the participants in recent years so this particular day may have been a fluke and once you get a few more days under your belt....those "close" passes won't seem so close at all.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #27
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

You may just need to remove the tampon, less complaining and just ride the out of your 300
Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
You may just need to remove the tampon, less complaining and just ride the out of your 300
haha.

anyways Rowdy lets go the the track. I got defensive driving to take care of!!! LOL
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
So, I should take more time to figure out what that rider has going on that's different than every other rider on the track? That's better than knowing that ever rider has a unique number and every number is in a known location (tail and on the sides for example)?

As a racer I can patently say, it's much easier to remember "bike with a yellow swingarm" than "number 734."

Not to mention any numbers that are going to be easily visible to staff are going to be in locations that makes them invisible to you as another rider.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
jk13

Bike(s):
03 CBR600RR
10 S1000rr

Quote:
As a racer I can patently say, it's much easier to remember "bike with a yellow swingarm" than "number 734."

Not to mention any numbers that are going to be easily visible to staff are going to be in locations that makes them invisible to you as another rider.
As a racer, I respectfully disagree. Like I said in my original post, I'm not new to the track.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
1. To my knowledge, inside passing is not allowed, ever, in Ride Smart lbl 1. So you were clouding your head with useles stuff if you were considering inside passes.

2. It's up to the passING rider to make a clean pass, not the passEE. If you were worried about their passing you were clouding your head with useless stuff.

In summary, it's hard to make the transition from the street to the track where you're taught to be aware of EVERYTHING. There's a reason we tape off mirros on the track and tell people not to ever look behind them. That reason is 2-fold:

1. you should be focusing on what's in front of you, what's behind you breaks concentration

2. when you look behind you, most people unwittingly steer the bike, and this action is unpredictable to someone trying to pass (I've seen it result in a collision)

I hope you try again, and learn to narrow your focus. It's not an easy thing at first for someone used to street riding where everything is trying to kill you.

EDIT: as a personal anecdote, it took me five YEARS of doing 10 trackdays a year in order to be able to block out all the useless stuff and actually go fast (for some definition of fast that isn't really fast at all).
I think you kinda missed my point a little. I was not looking behind me or worried about people passing me. I kinda expected it. It was the nature of the passes and it was not safe. If I took your advice and left it to the PASSING Rider to make the pass I would have be in an ambulance.

As far as making an inside pass I was not thinking about it but was forced into a situation where I was now on the inside deep into a corner because someone decided at the last minute to dive in the corner late on the outside because I was slower on entry. Passing on the outside of the entry to Diamonds Edge was not a passing zone if I remember correctly. The corner coming off the back straight was but the rider decided to push it past me as I was about to make my move to tip in.

And I never looked behind me to see if I was being passed .. even wore earplugs to block out the sound of the bikes behind me. I stated the only time I looked back was the times I over shot a corner and needed to see where I could blend back in to the line.

I appreciate your taking time to respond.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
from a Sticky on RideSmart's thread

" - Can I fundamentally operate a motorcycle while at a high rate of speed in a straight line or in turns (can I ride at speeds of more than 70mph in straights or more than 30mph while in turns)?
- How is my braking ability with the motorcycle I will use at the track? Do I feel confident with abrupt braking maneuvers, or do I always need lots of time and space to execute a stop?
- When I go on street rides, do I feel comfortable riding in close proximity to other riders/cars, or do I always prefer to ride far away from the riders in front of me?"
I was for sure doing more than 70 on the straights and thought I was carrying good speed in the corners. On my instructor rides it was not mentioned to pick it up in the corner so I thought I was doing pretty good there. The corner I was having issues with was not really an issue was a misunderstanding of the track and the corner. Coming off the back straight there are Braking Makers which we were later told ignore .. me especially due to the size of my bike. So when the incident happened I was moving slower than the passer coming up on the tip in to Diamonds Edge. Where he screwed me was the late pass. That was the one that really got me fumed but the continuous stuffing on the straights by the "me first me first" guys got old really fast. Pass me but complete the pass before corner entry and do not make me slow down so you can get in.

Braking ... ... I found out real quick how good my breaking was entering the bus stop on my 2nd session. I came out of the Keyhole and really hammered on the throttle only to realize that short stretch did not require that much speed and it messed up my entry as I was all out of position to tip in. I downshifted .... applied the front brake and eased her down before I went off track. I was kinda proud of myself that I did not panic and stayed on track .. instructor was impressed as well.

Again proximity did not bother me until guys started getting out of hand. Again I expected to be passed on the straights it was a given to me before I even unloaded. It was again how the pass went down that bothered me. I can say as mentioned by another poster I learned to handled a bad situation and reacted appropriately to avoid an incident. Not something I was expecting to learn but I something I can take away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Track is not for everyone
Why not??? All you guys talk about it get to the track .. get to the track ... why should it not be enjoyable for everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
Stop trolling me you little ant
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Thayleal .. thanks for the post man. It was good read. Not discounting any of the other posts but it was kinda the response I was looking to read. I really was concerned that by expressing my opinion the whole "stop your whining and crying" was coming .. which it has as I expect a few flames from the MH community .. it makes the world seem right lol.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #34
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Stop whining and crying
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Ok now to just lay some stuff out there.

1) I thought I did my best to not try to blame the track org and make it all about them not making sure I had a good day. Being my first track day I just had all these thoughts in my head and wanted to put them out there for feedback. So let me say this so it is clear:

"I am not bashing Ridesmart or saying I will never ride with them again. I am not saying they did not make it safe or have rules in place to keep everyone safe. In all I actually enjoyed the time I had on the track when I look back. It is unfortunate the a few made my day bad and I made the decision to stop riding. After all we are adults and its our responsibility to ensure we take care of ourselves and I did what I thought was in my best interest by not entering the track again that day".

2) Am I a little hesitant to want to jump right back on the track. Sure, after any experience that falls short of what you expect you tend to evaluate and process the outcome and feelings you have. I am not the type of person who will let others deter me from something I want to do. I want to go back and try it again .. I am just not as gung-ho as someone who had a blast their first experience.

3) As far as trying other orgs ... I plan on it as you have to unless you want to wait months to get back on the track.

4) I have read the threads and I know there are some very vocal members of MH and they have their opinions on each Riding Org. I ask you not use my thread to promote your agenda as I asked for opinions based on experience of the track day itself .. not your first experience with Ridesmart. I wanted to keep the org in the background of this and focus on the real point which was the riders who get on the track and think there is a trophy when you get back to class. The only reason I mentioned their name was to thank them for what went good that day not open a forum to trash them.

Again thank you for all the posts and feedback. Look forward to any other advice that others may have.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxx View Post
Stop whining and crying
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #37
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Hey Rowdy76, my take on your thread....
Take it as a first TD , you maybe got disappointed with few points but overall I am sure you learned a lot, learned to be in close proximity with other riders at higher speeds that you ride on the street.....try another one, maybe your next experience will be great and you will continue.....as the end of the day you are becoming a better rider.....you will progress go to level 2 then later 3 and inside/ proximity passing will have a new meaning....believe me last Saturday I was still wondering how those guys can squeeze in there...but they do it and its clean.....so enjoy , your bike is still shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Ok now to just lay some stuff out there.

1) I thought I did my best to not try to blame the track org and make it all about them not making sure I had a good day. Being my first track day I just had all these thoughts in my head and wanted to put them out there for feedback. So let me say this so it is clear:

"I am not bashing Ridesmart or saying I will never ride with them again. I am not saying they did not make it safe or have rules in place to keep everyone safe. In all I actually enjoyed the time I had on the track when I look back. It is unfortunate the a few made my day bad and I made the decision to stop riding. After all we are adults and its our responsibility to ensure we take care of ourselves and I did what I thought was in my best interest by not entering the track again that day".

2) Am I a little hesitant to want to jump right back on the track. Sure, after any experience that falls short of what you expect you tend to evaluate and process the outcome and feelings you have. I am not the type of person who will let others deter me from something I want to do. I want to go back and try it again .. I am just not as gung-ho as someone who had a blast their first experience.

3) As far as trying other orgs ... I plan on it as you have to unless you want to wait months to get back on the track.

4) I have read the threads and I know there are some very vocal members of MH and they have their opinions on each Riding Org. I ask you not use my thread to promote your agenda as I asked for opinions based on experience of the track day itself .. not your first experience with Ridesmart. I wanted to keep the org in the background of this and focus on the real point which was the riders who get on the track and think there is a trophy when you get back to class. The only reason I mentioned their name was to thank them for what went good that day not open a forum to trash them.

Again thank you for all the posts and feedback. Look forward to any other advice that others may have.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
I think you kinda missed my point a little. I was not looking behind me or worried about people passing me. I kinda expected it. It was the nature of the passes and it was not safe. If I took your advice and left it to the PASSING Rider to make the pass I would have be in an ambulance.

As far as making an inside pass I was not thinking about it but was forced into a situation where I was now on the inside deep into a corner because someone decided at the last minute to dive in the corner late on the outside because I was slower on entry. Passing on the outside of the entry to Diamonds Edge was not a passing zone if I remember correctly. The corner coming off the back straight was but the rider decided to push it past me as I was about to make my move to tip in.

And I never looked behind me to see if I was being passed .. even wore earplugs to block out the sound of the bikes behind me. I stated the only time I looked back was the times I over shot a corner and needed to see where I could blend back in to the line.

I appreciate your taking time to respond.
And when I say outside I could be saying it wrong due to my noob status. When we came to the corner marking to tip in he was on my left side making me the outside person so I guess it could be an inside pass. I clipped the corner coming off the back straight and started drifting left for entry to Diamonds Edge. He dove in past me to the left trying to beat me to the corner since I was riding to the corner entry if I had stayed on line I felt like we would have wrecked. It was the only time I felt like "oh I might wreck" the entire day. I was drifting and he came up on my left so I ended up way inside since I broke right to avoid him and had to complete the corner very slowly to get back on line. I still got my composure and keep on going. But my head was all so I pitted after the next lap.

Looking at it he should have passed me in the middle of the corner while I was far right but he decided to pass after I already started drifting left and we were in my opinion of the incident way to close to entry for a pass at the level we were riding.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 09-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #39
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Dont give up, once you learn the line you will be doing all the passing.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
As a racer, I respectfully disagree. Like I said in my original post, I'm not new to the track.
If someone passes you , how would you see their numbers?
Essentially, this is all you would see:
i Q8jXfBX X3 (credit to racer997 for picture)
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement