MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Adjusting Wheel Bearings

HOLY !!!! they got so hot they started to lock up and I almost did an endo in the parking lot!!!

A few days ago - - - - - in a Galaxy far far away.
I had to remove the front wheel, axle and all. (needed to do some rotor work)
I put it back together and it seemed GR8 !!! Turned real nice.

But yesterday, just before I got to work it seemed real sluggish so I turned into our parking lot and when I pulled in the clutch - HOLY 773H !!!! AALLLLLmost went over the handlebars. Must have looked funny as , but there were cruiser riders watching. (I already know what was going through there very small minds)

So - I believe that when I put it back together I got it too tight and the bearings got hot and ran the lube out like I did with the ole lady the other night and the bike made this horrible squeeeeeeealing sound - just like her :-).

So - I've done lots of car bearings before, but how tight do you set up a bike? How do you know?

I don't think I ruined anything, because after work when it cooled down it seem to roll real smooth in the lot, but after a while it started to get sluggish again. Same thing and the next stop light. It was real tight like I was riding the brake at 85% and it squealed like a - - well, something that really squeals loud....!!!

Any words of direction from some of you badass streetbike guys that think you know everything about bikes?

08 CBR -except for the exhaust pipe, the rest is stock. No special pads, bearings or anything like that.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need wheel spacers and bearings jakeg How To's and Q & A's 0 07-04-2013 10:54 AM
May have tapped the wheel bearings in too far... zombiejesus How To's and Q & A's 1 06-22-2010 06:31 PM
RC51 rear wheel bearings dangelo_texas How To's and Q & A's 3 08-22-2009 04:08 PM
Where to get wheel bearings installed Intermission General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-24-2009 08:03 AM
Remove wheel bearings Los How To's and Q & A's 13 02-22-2007 04:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

you sure the brakes arent dragging? they run sealed brearings.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Some things are best left to the experts
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

First, did you press them in evenly? Second, are the inner races touching the spacer? The inner races should just barely touch the spacer (the spacer should have a LITTLE movement). If they're pressed too tight, the inner race will offset to the outside, causing a ton of friction. If they're not pressed tight enough, the same will happen in the opposite direction when you tighten the axle.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Oh...and if your bearings got hot enough to seize, you might wanna replace them. No telling how much damage occurred.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

Take the calipers off and spin the wheel to check if its still sluggish. Could be warped rotors? And just go ahead and replace the bearings there only like $20 or so and its very simple to do. You just need a hammer flat head and socket the size of the bearing. Check how much you were supposed to torque it as well.
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Track_Graphics

Yeah, when it cools down it rotates very smooth and free. When I hit the front brake it works good and releases fine.

I bumped the calipers with the back of my fingers to see if they were HOT but they were barely warm. Same with the rotors. I didn't take out the bearings. I only removed the rotors. Then re-assembled everything again.

But I do agree that if they get too hot you can get spalling - however, I've also seen race car run with red hot rotors and spindles coming into turn 1 on the half mile. I never see them doing anything to them in the pits afterwards. I know it depends on the configuration yer running, i.e. bearing material, lube viscosity and thermal properties, etc etc -

But I really don't wanna go over the bars on the freeway.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
I didn't take out the bearings. I only removed the rotors. Then re-assembled everything again.
You may have just had your axle too tight. It shouldn't take a ton of torque, especially with the pinch bolts holding it in place.

Advertisement