MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #21
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Re: painting your own bike

just sand her down...
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting my 1st track bike- DIY or not? D-Man How To's and Q & A's 17 02-17-2014 09:33 PM
Question on painting parts of the bike. Eddy.T General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-21-2011 02:37 PM
Need Help w/ Painting Bike Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 02-08-2010 08:12 AM
painting my bike BIG UGLY 1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 09-29-2009 08:13 PM
painting my bike booo-iii_rider How To's and Q & A's 39 04-11-2008 08:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #22
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
what if i want to paint my fairings and they have paint on them already what's the best thing to get them "naked" again?? besides sanding is there a chemical that will help with the sanding.*
I think some Acetone or thinner would help perhaps.. that stuff is strong and I think would help remove the paing quickly. If not then screw it... just paint over it. It will make the fairing just a bit thicker to have the extra paint on there, which is not a bad thing.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 AM   #23
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

FYI, im a residential home painter and we strip front doors and sometimes interior trim pieces with layers of old paints and we have to strip it with aircraft stripper, too.

paint thinner will not get it off at all. it deludes the paint and can remove paint it it has a light, fresh coat. laquer thinner will do a better job but wont be the same as paint stripper. then just sand it down and add light coats of bond where you need it and not in large patches where the plastic is ok!

now that i remember, i spray painted a primer and yellow paint on my old zx6r and it up bad. i applied aircraft stripper and it took everything off inlcuding the bondo work i did to it previously.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #24
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
what if i want to paint my fairings and they have paint on them already what's the best thing to get them "naked" again?? besides sanding is there a chemical that will help with the sanding.*
I think some Acetone or thinner would help perhaps.. that stuff is strong and I think would help remove the paing quickly.* If not then screw it... just paint over it.* It will make the fairing just a bit thicker to have the extra paint on there, which is not a bad thing.*
you know, reinforcements
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #25
02 rvt-RC51
Senior Member rc rider

Bike(s):
2002 rc51 rvt

Send a message via AIM to 02 rvt-RC51

laquer thiner will eat the abs farnings we paint bikes for a living.

Advertisement