MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
I am not a big fan of lane splitting, but i think the reaction from those folks is not so much jealousy... and not so much that they think you are breaking the law (which you are)...I think it is more the fact that they do not understand lane splitting (they are cagers, not riders) and they get offended that you think you are special and more important than everyone else and that you should not have to wait your turn like the other poor peons on the road. So in their uneducated, unknowing bit of understanding, they view you as an arrogant who thinks he is better than everyone else... and no one likes that person.

This, and the " 'em for driving a cage" responses in this thread confirm it.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
My take on lane splitting and malicious cagers. Do you guys risk it in Houston? phrenetiK General Discussion (Moto Related) 127 12-10-2014 12:26 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Lane splitting is dangerous and I wont ever do it....

Thats why I ride my Motard on the side walks

I actually rode my tard on the shoulder for about 5 miles on I45 one saturday morn cuz of traffic. Then exited to the frontage road and road the sidewalk for another 2 u ought to see ppls faces then...and there is curbing to protect u from blockers

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #43
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
I am not a big fan of lane splitting, but i think the reaction from those folks is not so much jealousy... and not so much that they think you are breaking the law (which you are)...I think it is more the fact that they do not understand lane splitting (they are cagers, not riders) and they get offended that you think you are special and more important than everyone else and that you should not have to wait your turn like the other poor peons on the road. So in their uneducated, unknowing bit of understanding, they view you as an arrogant who thinks he is better than everyone else... and no one likes that person.
Agreed. These are probably the same people who are OK with cutting in to the Turn Only lane at the last second either because they do it, or because it's another car and that makes it normal. Plus, most cagers don't know what lane splitting is, or don't know the legal aspect of it. , the majority of riders I know didn't know Texas lane split laws until they took the MSF course.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #44
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

The thing that gets on my nerves is the people that use the exit only lane for advancement, then stop on it, blocking the exiting traffic, so that they can merge after the solid lones. It happens every day. I dont care if they do it, then GTFO of the way, but people cant drive well enough for that.

Splitters are ok, as long as you arent doing 100, and you dont hit my car, or me, if I am riding.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #45
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
Agreed. These are probably the same people who are OK with cutting in to the Turn Only lane at the last second either because they do it, or because it's another car and that makes it normal. Plus, most cagers don't know what lane splitting is, or don't know the legal aspect of it. , the majority of riders I know didn't know Texas lane split laws until they took the MSF course.
I don't do that. I am a very polite driver. I treat everyone the way I want to be treated.

Perhaps people don't go crazy on me, because traffic is so ****ed up everyone knows there is a wreck. I'm not filtering up to lights, I only do it when I am 90% sure there is a wreck. I refuse to sit there when I can see a clear line through all the congestion. See the pics in the thread below. The Concrete truck wreck is great...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...lane+splitting

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...lane+splitting

and just let that guy get all the way over so you can't pass, then go around on the other side hahaha
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #46
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

+1 on the exhaust I always try and keep mine as quite as possible.

I don't get mad I just wave.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #47
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
seeing those traffic pics makes me so thankful I work from home!
Hence your screen name...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #48
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
seeing those traffic pics makes me so thankful I work from home!
make sure to look at pages two and three, there are many screen shots on most of the pages in those two threads I posted...

including me filtering past several LEOs...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #49
hes

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)

People get for many reasons (me included)

1) It is ilegal. wtf is wrong with you guys saying "I do it cos I dont have to sit in trafic". Well with that excuse you run red lights as well when no incoming trafic on the green?
2) It is dangerous. Not everyone is looking back when in trafic bumper-to-bumper. Then you get into f...ing hours in trafic due to an accident !!!
3) At some point you will cut in front of someone to get back in line and mostly often you will make someone hit the brakes hard for doing so.

I guess this is something people like me will never agree. And by "people like me" I mean, guys that dont use the bike to go to work and just recreational on weekends or track.
hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #50
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

hes:

I don't run red lights. Why would I do that? I know they are going to change in a min or so.

I have no idea when a wreck is going to get cleared. Feel free to sit there, turn your bike off and stand beside it. I will wave as I pass you.

Look at the two links I posted, all the pages, all the pics.

When traffic is at a dead stop, how exactly is someone going to cut in front of you????

Why is someone going to need to hit the breaks when they are already fully applied, possibly with the car in park???
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #51
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
I did. I noticed someone say they want to know the opinion of LEO on the subject. Actually their opinion doesnt matter. They have to go by the rule of the law that is written. There are some (most from my encounters) that dont care. I've been sitting in traffic before (on bike) and had cops filtering through and stop and signal for me to follow them to get out of it. Generally not a fan of the popo but gotta give those credit for being cool.
Guess their opinion kinda does matter, then?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Driving anything in Houston is dangerous and filtering can help reduce the chance of being rearended.

Once everything thing clears there is always someplace to merge back into traffic without having to make cars SLAM ON THE BRAKES. There are always people that leave 2-6 car lengths since they are looking at what they just passed.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #53
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

Pretty simple "who really f-ing cares what others think" if your out riding your bike and looking for everybody around you to be happy with you, then go slow and wait your in traffic. otherwise lookout for cops and everybody else. sportbikers already have a bad rep with most people, and you are not going to fix it or make it worse.
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #54
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Lane splitting is dangerous and I wont ever do it....

Thats why I ride my Motard on the side walks
Sidewalks, bike trails, grassy ditches... yeah I've used 'em. This morning!

j/k

I will tomorrow...
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #55
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
so, in a nutshell...they're jealous and they can't keep moving. seems logical. i enjoy the honks, even the chirps from a squad car two lanes over.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #56
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
My responses in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes View Post
People get for many reasons (me included)

1) It is ilegal. wtf is wrong with you guys saying "I do it cos I dont have to sit in trafic". Well with that excuse you run red lights as well when no incoming trafic on the green? Yep, I run 'em....do it in my Jeep too.

2) It is dangerous. Not everyone is looking back when in trafic bumper-to-bumper. Then you get into f...ing hours in trafic due to an accident !!!
bumper to bumper??? I don't constantly look back either when sitting at a near stand still in my jeep.

3) At some point you will cut in front of someone to get back in line and mostly often you will make someone hit the brakes hard for doing so.
Most people are too busy checking FB or MH, sending an email or occupied in some other fashion while sitting in traffic. Merging back into moving traffic is very simple.

I guess this is something people like me will never agree. And by "people like me" I mean, guys that dont use the bike to go to work and just recreational on weekends or track. I don't typically split when on a weekend run....there simply isn't enough traffic to justify it.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #57
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

why do u even care what others think ?
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #58
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
why do u even care what others think ?
Because mommy didn't love me, and Uncle Frank touched me in naughty places.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #59
cbrfxr67

Bike(s):
77 kz1000 project
sold everything else,...

Only had two guys in trucks try to clip me so far. Few people honk. I'm sure plenty more people cursing me with their windows up. I try not to let it bother me and laugh it off. 'excuse me, pardon me, oh you guys are so nice' as I cruise by everybody,..heheh
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #60
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6R View Post
everybody else.
This is why we can't have nice things.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement