MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It takes a little more than "looking" to safely cross a street. Look all you want. You need to "see" if its actually clear. The bike is clearly at fault. The pedestrian seems too complacent though. If they had actually seen what was coming it could have been avoided.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcycle runs over baby carriage tripspeed General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 10-08-2014 11:28 AM
biker baby; kinda creepy flyininja Off Topic 6 06-09-2009 11:49 AM
biker runs red light maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-18-2007 12:14 AM
biker runs and gets away PimpRice Off Topic 6 05-02-2007 10:43 AM
Federal Cop guilty of Road rage! He runs a biker down! ScooterTrash Off Topic 3 04-14-2006 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #42
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
It takes a little more than "looking" to safely cross a street. Look all you want. You need to "see" if its actually clear. The bike is clearly at fault. The pedestrian seems too complacent though. If they had actually seen what was coming it could have been avoided.
That's assuming the view of the bike wasn't blocked by vehicles stopped at the light. That rider could have split 5 pairs of cars stopped at the light
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #43
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Its easier to assume the pedestrian didnt see the bike at all
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #44
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Its easier to assume the pedestrian didnt see the bike at all
None of them did even though they were looking to the left and the rider went behind one of them. You able to watch the clip on a PC flat screen?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #45
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Just saying its typical. Your brain is scanning for cars. It's harder to register bikes and see the danger.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #46
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Just saying its typical. Your brain is scanning for cars. It's harder to register bikes and see the danger.
Well, it's not typical for a rider to pass stopped cars at an intersection at that speed and run the light. Those Russians should watch out for meteors as well
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #47
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I agree its not typical but also the reason the bike would have been visible if more than a glance was taken. The bike would have been over taking cars as they slowed.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #48
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darranwil View Post
To add flame to stupidity. At the speed it appeared the rider was going he was a good distance from the light when it turned red. That would imply he had plenty of time to slow down and stop from the pedestrians perspective. Same as when you see a card 1 mile down the road coming to a red light, you "assume" they are going to slow down and stop with all the other cars who are stopped at the red light.

I am amazed 826 hasn't blamed the cagers. Of course it's always the cagers fault.
When did I say I don't blame the rider? I just wouldn't push a stroller across a busy road that casually. I know there are too many idiots out there to hope everyone is going to stop.

Don't you have a buell thread you should be in?

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #49
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

None of this is typical its russia! Have ya'll read some of the manofrussias threads?

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I agree its not typical but also the reason the bike would have been visible if more than a glance was taken. The bike would have been over taking cars as they slowed.
How are they going to see through cars? When was the last time you crossed at an intersection like that on foot? That camera could have been inside a city bus. How are you going to see a bike on the other side of it?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #51
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Judging by the high rate of speed, that @$$wipe clearly had no regard for the red light, and on the reverse angle (later in the footage) appeared to be coming in at an angle and so could've have been swerving all over the place.

Blaming the "parent" is absurd. Sure there are dopehead mommies that leave their kids to die in their cars in 105F weather, but nothing in this video suggests that. They were looking to the left, stopped abruptly when they spotted the maniac, and even tried to pull the stroller back. Unfortunately, human hands are no match for a speeding bike. Only Vampires and Spidie could've saved that baby.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #52
jsprunner

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Judging by the high rate of speed, that @$$wipe clearly had no regard for the red light, and on the reverse angle (later in the footage) appeared to be coming in at an angle and so could've have been swerving all over the place.

Blaming the "parent" is absurd. Sure there are dopehead mommies that leave their kids to die in their cars in 105F weather, but nothing in this video suggests that. They were looking to the left, stopped abruptly when they spotted the maniac, and even tried to pull the stroller back. Unfortunately, human hands are no match for a speeding bike. Only Vampires and Spidie could've saved that baby.
Even though my dad taught me to "look both ways because he'd never once seen a red light reach out and stop somebody", I completely agree it's the rider's fault. Even the title of the video includes the words "idiot" and "drunk biker" in it. I'm amazed this thread has gone on this long....

jsprunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
cychotic
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #54
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
It did suggest that in every way. The parent assumed a safe path and pushed the kid out in harms way. Just like how some parents assumed 15 minutes isn't enough to bake a child in a car.
If that was the case, then every parent should lock their kids at home and never let them out the door till they are 18. Then hope, as adults, their kids know how to manage risks themselves, having zero experience watching their parents show them how. But, hey... at least the parent don't get blamed.

Kids come home from school with broken arms and contagious diseases EVERY DAY. What?! Everybody should home school their kids?

Kids get hurt at playground EVERY DAY. What?! Don't let them out and have fun?

Moms and kids get killed by drunk drivers EVERY DAY. What?! Don't drive?

Every move a parent makes on behalf of his/her child is a calculated risk. It is part of the educational process. And part of growing up.

The only way NOT to take risks is NOT to have kids.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #55
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #56
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
The point is that they assumed too much. Not that they can prevent any and all accidents. If I push my kids out into the street and got hit, I would blame myself for not looking twice, or even 3 times, before going. You're right about calculating risk. Everyone's calculations are different. But that particular parent's ability to calculate risk was pretty terrible in my book. I guess my standards for those calculations are higher.
Do you wear binoculars all the time? How long do you wait to cross the street...when there are no moving vehicles in sight and/or they're all stopped at the light?
The woman looked, she was watching....like many, she had problem judging the bikes approach speed.

heck several of ya'll cant even tell what all took place in the video yet your claiming hypervigilance in crossing the street.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #57
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #58
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
I have binocular vision (unlike normal people? ), so I can tell the speed well enough. Best of all, the bike wasn't stopped. If that parent didn't have binocular vision, it makes it even worst. Because then, she KNOWINGLY cannot tell the speed and went out anyway.

Here is my logic checklist for crossing the street:

1. Red light, check
2. Vehicles no longer approaching and stopped on the next lane, not check

Therefore, unsafe. Is my logic really that advanced?
It's not an issue of logic, its using that thing inside your skull... What was the speed of the bike? Wait, you don't know... noise level in that area, again...unknown. How big was the vehicle in the right lane...again unknown. for all we know the bike might have been coming up behind the vehicle in the right lane and swerved around it.... How do you propose she see it then? Xray vision superman?

If you PAY ATTENTION to the vid, the guy does parallel rectangle either...he crosses it an angle, from left corner closest to the intersection to the right of the middle.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #59
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Last edited by cychotic; 08-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #60
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Hypervigilant? Really?

So say the Monday Night Quarterbacks who have watched the whole game and slo-mo replays.

Real-world parents operate on limited imperfect info, bunch of unknowns, multitasking up to the gills, and in the case of babies ans lil toddlers, sleep deprevation... all the while making split second decisions they have to live with foe the rest of their lives.

Shame on them for messing up even once...

Advertisement