MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
blinkstafoo182

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2013 CBR250R ABS

Hello

Hey All,

I am very new to the motorcycle world. I will be signing up for my beginner class at Awesome Motorcycles next week. Hopefully I like riding.

I have so many questions for all of y'all from safety gear to buying my first bike.

Also, I will be looking for some people in the Woodlands area to possible ride with.

Thanks in advance for the help.
blinkstafoo182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Korry1
The Yellow Helmet Guy

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS

Hey welcome to the forums... I am a new member here as well, and the folks here are friendly
Korry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
ZxGreenMachine

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Zx6R
2007 Zx6r

Hey there,

Welcome, I hear that awesome cycles has a great program. Remember, get insured before you ride the streets.
ZxGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
tunaluna
Thread killer

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 sold
06 cbr F4i sold
04 gsx 600

Member Garage

Welcome welcome!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
jguevara1467
Javier

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2013 Kawasaki 650r

Welcome!!
jguevara1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Welcome to MH.

I live pretty much in the woodlands, so hit me up when you get a bike.

As for some basic questions newbies normally ask about gear and first bikes.
Gear the more you spend on quality gear the "better" protected you are and the longer it should last you. When you first start buying gear you could be looking at $500 to $1000 in gear a lone. Leathers the best to have but we live in Texas so a lot wear textile with armor inside. Get yourself a good pair of riding pants, Jeans DO NOT hold up in a crash. If you plan on commuting look at some riding jeans or the things that go over top jeans to give you the added protection.

As far as getting the perfect first bike, there's no such thing. I know some guys feel that they are to big for a 250 and end up starting on 1000cc it all comes down to the individual person and how much self control one has. Personally I think the best starting bike is the 650cc has more than enough power to get you in trouble but wont rocket you every time you hit the throttle. I know a lot of people who have 250 and they wish they would have started a little bigger, most seem to get bored with them fast. That being said there are a lot of people who love the out of them and will blow past you on the curves. As long as you stick with major brands you don't have to worry about reliability as much. Each company is going to have the drawbacks but for the most part the bikes they produce are solid. As a first bike I would stick with bikes as Italians and others cost more to maintain, the intervals between maintenance is also quicker and can be more difficult at times to work on the engine.

Stay safe out there
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Hellur!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
blinkstafoo182

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2013 CBR250R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
Welcome to MH.

I live pretty much in the woodlands, so hit me up when you get a bike.

As for some basic questions newbies normally ask about gear and first bikes.
Gear the more you spend on quality gear the "better" protected you are and the longer it should last you. When you first start buying gear you could be looking at $500 to $1000 in gear a lone. Leathers the best to have but we live in Texas so a lot wear textile with armor inside. Get yourself a good pair of riding pants, Jeans DO NOT hold up in a crash. If you plan on commuting look at some riding jeans or the things that go over top jeans to give you the added protection.

As far as getting the perfect first bike, there's no such thing. I know some guys feel that they are to big for a 250 and end up starting on 1000cc it all comes down to the individual person and how much self control one has. Personally I think the best starting bike is the 650cc has more than enough power to get you in trouble but wont rocket you every time you hit the throttle. I know a lot of people who have 250 and they wish they would have started a little bigger, most seem to get bored with them fast. That being said there are a lot of people who love the out of them and will blow past you on the curves. As long as you stick with major brands you don't have to worry about reliability as much. Each company is going to have the drawbacks but for the most part the bikes they produce are solid. As a first bike I would stick with bikes as Italians and others cost more to maintain, the intervals between maintenance is also quicker and can be more difficult at times to work on the engine.

Stay safe out there
Thank you for dropping some knowledge.

I figured I would be spending between 750-1000 on gear, for me it is worth the extra money I want to be as safe as possible.

I've been looking at used bikes, there aren't as many out there as I thought there would be (in the cc range I'm looking at). I may have to go new if I cant find what I want used, but still 4-5k is not to much.

I am hoping while in class I can ride a couple of different types of bikes and can get a feel for what I want.

Thanks again.
blinkstafoo182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Squid Spawn
Viva La SMRs!!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Currently on a 07 Yamaha R1
2010 BMW S1000rr(sold)
02 R1, 04 R1, 07 R6, 07R1 & 09 R1 all sold
94 CBR 6f2, 93 CBR 900rr, 97 CBR600f3 & 07 CBR 600rr(all sold
Big Wheel, Redline BMX, Peugeot PGN-10(speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkstafoo182 View Post

I figured I would be spending between 750-1000 on gear, for me it is worth the extra money I want to be as safe as possible.

I've been looking at used bikes, there aren't as many out there as I thought there would be (in the cc range I'm looking at). I may have to go new if I cant find what I want used, but still 4-5k is not to much.

I am hoping while in class I can ride a couple of different types of bikes and can get a feel for what I want.

Thanks again.
Welcome! Spending good amounts of money on gear is worth it. It IS your life protection..literally! Donte has a few good pointers
Squid Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkstafoo182 View Post

Thanks again.
Welcome and good luck with your MSF course. I took mine at Awesome Cycles good group of people. Dont think you will get much of a selection there cause if I remember correct most of the bikes are 250 cc class ..even the sport bikes they have. They have some old cruisers and some older ninjas I think.

As far as bikes, I went to the dealerships and asked to sit on different bikes to get a feel for riding position. This forum has a wealth of knowledge as you will find an owner of just about any sport bike on the market. I was even offered by some members to go with to check out used bikes. I bought a new Ninja 300 but I have met some of the peeps that offered to help and it was a genuine offer ... top notch group of guys.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 08-25-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement