MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Ed Bargy Racing School - Quick Review

I just finished up with the Ed Bargy Racing School which was held today at No Problem Raceway in Belle Rose, La. I took the class primarily because I heard nothing but good reviews about it over on the WERA forum. Shane from www.tigertrackdays.com asked Ed to come out and do the class. The C group consisted of the Bargy class and the trackday had the regular A & B pace riders.

Each 40 min classroom session had 20 mins of track time. It was Ed Bargy himself teaching the class with no other instructors. We started the day with a track walk / ride. We rode our bikes to various parts of the track, got off and he then pointed out things to look for on all tracks not just NPR. Then off to the classroom we went. His cirruculum will pretty much allow you to get a racing license with most of the organizations in the US. For CMRA you still have to take their written test and pay for the license, but this particular school will cover the classroom portion.

I wouldn't recommened this school for someone that is relatively new to riding or trackdays as it focuses soley on one thing: RACING!
Nothing else is covered. You won't work on body position nor will they teach you the "race" line for one particular track. Rather Bargy focuses on things that will help racers or soon to be racers get on the podium. Topics covered in the classroom session included throttle control, gearing slection for tracks, how and when to shift, (very) late braking, trailbraking, line selection, flags (all 10), gridding procedures, starts, accident avoidance, etc. Anyway you get the picture. Topics usually not covered in your avg trackday instruction.

Was it worth the 5 hr drive? Definitely. Would I recommend the course to others? Yes, but only if they eventually want to race. I think there is more to be had from a few other schools if you primarily ride street or could care less about shaving a few seconds off of your lap times.

Last edited by andre3k; 04-02-2007 at 12:51 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A quick review of Elite Track Days BigComfy Taking it to the Track 37 08-16-2007 06:14 PM
California Superbike School Review andre3k Taking it to the Track 22 03-20-2007 11:01 AM
Ed Bargy Racing School andre3k Taking it to the Track 10 03-06-2007 08:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

are you trying to visit all the racing schools this year? racing next year?
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha429
are you trying to visit all the racing schools this year? racing next year?
Jason Pridmore's STAR school is my last one and thats a two day one next month. I'm still undecided on the racing thing. Trackdays are expensive enough, I don't know about spending 600 - 700 per race weekend if i'm not going to be mildly competitive. So thats why I chose to do all my training first.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Thats sounds like a great way to spend the weekend...
So did you feel like you came out of the class better rider than before the class?
What stood out in your mind- the thing that left the biggest impression.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Thats sounds like a great way to spend the weekend...
So did you feel like you came out of the class better rider than before the class?
Yes it helped a lot, I don't track my laptimes so I have no way to gauge how much I improved. I definately know my strongpoints and where where my weaknesses are now. I was pretty cloudy in that area before this class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
What stood out in your mind- the thing that left the biggest impression.
Braking and corner speed - Someone asked a question in class about how do you judge corner entry speed. Bargy stated that if your tires aren't slipping when you go into a turn then you can go a lil bit faster. Do so until the tires breaks then back off a hair.

Bargy ran a stock zx-10 so we could see his brake lights. He advocates braking all the way to the apex. Then WOT out of the turn. Ummm, I'm not at that level yet. I prefer WOT, brake to set entry speed, turn in, accelerate out pre apex.

So just like anything else you have to pick what works for you. Try their technique, if it nets you a faster lap time then stick with it. If not, stick to what you do best.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
NOsquid

Cool, glad you had fun. It was a fun track day for the rest of us, they just ran open sessions when you weren't on the track. I am beat!
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Yes it helped a lot, I don't track my laptimes so I have no way to gauge how much I improved. I definately know my strongpoints and where where my weaknesses are now. I was pretty cloudy in that area before this class.

Braking and corner speed - Someone asked a question in class about how do you judge corner entry speed. Bargy stated that if your tires aren't slipping when you go into a turn then you can go a lil bit faster. Do so until the tires breaks then back off a hair.

Bargy ran a stock zx-10 so we could see his brake lights. He advocates braking all the way to the apex. Then WOT out of the turn. Ummm, I'm not at that level yet. I prefer WOT, brake to set entry speed, turn in, accelerate out pre apex.

So just like anything else you have to pick what works for you. Try their technique, if it nets you a faster lap time then stick with it. If not, stick to what you do best.
Yeah, I pretty do what/how you do.
I would like to get a chance to attend a school like this or the Pridmore School or even Shcwantz 's school but too many things are pulling me at the moment.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

You have to work on your trail braking (brake to the apex) if you want your pace to pick up. This seems to be the biggest focus from most of the schools and I would work on throttle control before doing the WOT out of every corner. If you have a heavey hand this will introduce you to highsides. Sounds like a good class.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
You have to work on your trail braking (brake to the apex) if you want your pace to pick up. This seems to be the biggest focus from most of the schools and I would work on throttle control before doing the WOT out of every corner. If you have a heavey hand this will introduce you to highsides. Sounds like a good class.
I have to get the whole "bliping the throttle" down too. I never did it before on my other bike because it has a slipper clutch. I got spoiled by it and now I'm paying for it. It had a hard time braking progressively and then rolling on the throttle to blip it for the downshift.
I messed up big time and had some nasty rear wheel hop because of that.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
I have to get the whole "bliping the throttle" down too. I never did it before on my other bike because it has a slipper clutch. I got spoiled by it and now I'm paying for it. It had a hard time braking progressively and then rolling on the throttle to blip it for the downshift.
For down shifts I just smoke the clutch. Unless I am low in the RPMs but at the track that is not to often. Now shifting up I just preload the shifter and blip the throttle. It is interesting to see how braking is a big theme with all the race schools.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
NOsquid

Quote:
Try it without the brakes first. When you have that down perfectly, then add the brake. Fingers slide over the lever.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid
Try it without the brakes first. When you have that down perfectly, then add the brake. Fingers slide over the lever.
That is the order I learned as well. Throttle control, engine braking then add a little trail braking.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Flattracker 40C

Ed Bargy Racing School

Andre, was that you I was sitting next to?
Flattracker 40C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattracker 40C
Andre, was that you I was sitting next to?
if that was you with the superhawk, then it was i.

Advertisement