MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Harley- Welcome to 1980s or before...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/620/16...d-Tourers.aspx

Quote:
[IMG]Liquid-cooled engines. Touch-screen electronics. Linked braking systems. Harley-Davidson comes kicking and screaming into the 21st century with the revelations it unveiled today as part of its Project Rushmore and the introduction of its 2014 motorcycles. Managing Editor Bart Madson is in Denver right now sampling the 2014 Harley lineup so look for a detailed account coming soon. Until then, here's a breakdown of some of the highlights of Harley's 2014 offerings. Foremost among the announcements is the first liquid-cooled engine outfitted on a Harley touring bike called the Twin Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 V-Twin. According to Harley PR, “Twin cooling cools the heads around the exhaust ports to deliver at or near peak performance under all operation conditions and temperatures.” This is achieved via a small 1.1 quart radiator between the downtubes. Claiming the system will make less engine heat in stop-and-go traffic, it utilizes a higher flow airbox as well. Harley bumped up the compression ratio on the TC103 and installed a new cam aimed at improving low-end torque. The first two Harley motorcycles with the Twin Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 engine are the 2014 Ultra Limited Motorcycle and the 2014 Tri Glide Ultra Motorcycle. There's also a 110 cubic inch version of the Twin Cooled engine available in the 2014 CVO Limited. But there’s more to Harley’s Project Rushmore. The package also includes a Reflex linked braking system with ABS, synchronizing the front and back units. The system is activated at speeds over 20 mph, and at highway speeds it reportedly will “automatically calculate the amount of braking necessary under existing conditions.” Harley’s new Rushmore treatment includes new electronics in the form of its Boom! Box infotainment system. It is an integrated audio system with voice activation for music, phone and GPS. The voice recognition system connects to a rider’s Bluetooth and includes text-to-speech technology. It also supports intercom and CB communications through a single module. The Rushmore addition features a big, 6.5-inch full color touchscreen, making most information available at the touch of a button. Five-way joy sticks on the left and right motorcycle hand controls give riders access to most of the system's functions. The infotainment system also has a Jukebox that pops open at the push of a button and allows riders to connect their iPhone, iTouch, or other USB devices. Another component of Harley’s Project Rushmore is a redesigned Batwing fairing. The fairing looks wider to channel more air around a rider’s hands and the new cut is said to reduce head buffeting as well. This is achieved with the addition of a pressure-equalizing channel cut into the middle of the fairing that opens and closes with the touch of a button. The “slipstream venting” is said to reduce head buffeting by 20%. Passengers are beneficiaries of wider and deeper seats to go along with new back and arm rests. The Rushmore enhancements extend to lighting as well, with the eight new Harley motorcycles available with the treatment receiving Daymaker LED headlights and dual halogen lighting. The Tour Pak on the Ultra Classics is larger and comes with the convenience of One-Touch latches. The eight motorcycles receiving the Project Rushmore treatment are the 2014 Road King, 2014 Street Glide, 2014 Street Glide Special, 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2014 Ultra Limited, 2014 Tri Glide Ultra, 2014 CVO Ultra Limited and 2014 CVO Road King.[/IMG]

lawlz piece of

Last edited by Neon Samurai; 08-19-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why-this-harley-will-be-my-last darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-21-2013 04:03 PM
The Harley zerobounds General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 11-06-2009 06:57 PM
Changes with Harley soon. ScooterTrash Cruisers Lounge 9 07-07-2005 01:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Fastola
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

They need to use the "Revolution" engine (VROD engine) in ALL their bikes!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/harley4.htm

"....This engine is water-cooled rather than air-cooled and its V angle is 60 degrees rather than 45. It has four overhead cams rather than two cams in the crankcase and is fuel injected. This engine is smaller -- only 69 cubic inches (1,130 cc). It has a much shorter stroke, allowing it to rev to 9,000 RPM, and it produces 115 horsepower...."

harley revolution engine
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Equis View Post
They need to use the "Revolution" engine (VROD engine) in ALL their bikes!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/harley4.htm

"....This engine is water-cooled rather than air-cooled and its V angle is 60 degrees rather than 45. It has four overhead cams rather than two cams in the crankcase and is fuel injected. This engine is smaller -- only 69 cubic inches (1,130 cc). It has a much shorter stroke, allowing it to rev to 9,000 RPM, and it produces 115 horsepower...."

harley revolution engine
lol...the REVOLUTION engine is good....but it sto FAT...only issue
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

From all the Cruiser manufacturers who has the most advanced engine? Victory?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
From all the Cruiser manufacturers who has the most advanced engine? Victory?
Ducati Diavel or Yamaha vmax
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

The "Ultra Limited" model is on $25k....decisions, decisions.....Panigale or Road Glide.

, just think of what you can get for $25k from pretty much everyone but HD
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Ducati Diavel or Yamaha vmax
I like a lot the VMAX but is not exactly a Cruiser/Touring bike. Not sure about how up to date are the Star (Yamaha) and Vulcan (Kawasaki) touring bikes.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

HD currently offers 30 different models in six product categories, ranging in price from $8,000 to $60,000, and they sell almost every one they make.
Their sales are up again this year, and have no end of imitators from Yamaha to Honda to Victory so they are obviously filling a need in the market.
In spite of that they still hold the largest market share of sales for motorcycles over 650cc by a large amount.

What they are not in the market to promote is cutting edge technical advances, or coming out with a clean sheet redesign every year.
What they do offer is a consistent motorcycle that performs reasonably well when used within the parameters it's designed for.
The whole reason the MoCo is adapting their engines to liquid cooling is to be able to pass more stringent EPA standards. As far as the linked brakes I'm not in favor of them, but understand the reason behind doing so.
The electronics advances are pretty cool for a touring model bike, and it will put pressure on Honda to develop competing technology.

Now I get why owning an HD isn't for everyone, just as owning a Panigale isn't for everyone, but in my eyes at least it's all 2 wheels, it just depends on what you're looking for.
In closing, to compare a Road Glide to a Panigale is as foolish as comparing an Escalade to a Corvette. While both are 4 wheeled vehicles costing around $60k, each fulfills a completely different need.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

The new Indian looks impressive. If I were in the market for that type of bike, it would be one of the first I would check into.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

I agree with Patrick. My only issue with pre-2014 HD is the lack of water cooling. I use my bikes as my main mode of transportation and some days I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for at least one hour. Luckily not everyday traffic is that bad. I am afraid that the HD touring models will start over heating in this traffic. Not sure if all touring models have that feature that shuts down cylinder number two when starts overheating in heavy traffic. I will like to upgrade the VROD to an Electra Glide Classic.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Gigolo Jason

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

Here is the patent

https://www.google.com/patents/US201...ed=0CDsQ6AEwAQ

GJ
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

There will always be a place in my heart for HD. The very first bike I was ever on was a harley (over 60 years ago), and i own two today. To each his own and if you do not like HD, simple solution is not to buy one. Right now, this minute, if I were to decide I wanted to jump on one of my bikes and take off to california, it would be my old 2003 Road King.... If I want to ride MSRH, i would get on my cbr... if i want to do TMGP I would get on my crf...if I want to play on the farm, it would be my Yamaha TWS (Texas World Speedway)...what you ride tends to be based on what kind of riding you are going to do and YOUR peronality.
Right now I can think of another half dozen or so bikes i would like to own, but time constraints and a place to park them kind of rule that out.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Now I get why owning an HD isn't for everyone, just as owning a Panigale isn't for everyone, but in my eyes at least it's all 2 wheels, it just depends on what you're looking for.
In closing, to compare a Road Glide to a Panigale is as foolish as comparing an Escalade to a Corvette. While both are 4 wheeled vehicles costing around $60k, each fulfills a completely different need.
I agree, I was being a little facetious. They definitely have no problems selling bikes that much I know.

Mainly I could never see how you could spend 25 grand on a Harley considering what you could get elsewhere. If you had 25k to spend on a tourer, why would you buy a Harley??

I know, I know ride whatever you want. Just merely my opinions....which as we well know are akin to .
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I've rented a Goldwing for a 500 mile trip.

That's where my 25k would go.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I've rented a Goldwing for a 500 mile trip.

That's where my 25k would go.
But then again, I like my sportster
Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

I think I found what I will upgrade the VROD in place of the Electra Glide but not exactly a cruiser....
At least I will be getting newer technology than HD and I will still keep my Sportster Bobber.

Honda 20Gold 20Wing 20F6B 2013 20 201 3
Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Me wants! ^^^

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
I like a lot the VMAX but is not exactly a Cruiser/Touring bike. Not sure about how up to date are the Star (Yamaha) and Vulcan (Kawasaki) touring bikes.
But either is the Vrod really...thought we are talkinhg engines
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R