Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #81
Doug
Hangover

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FLTRX

Interesting....
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't you ride track? Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 133 08-25-2013 02:27 PM
You probably don't even have 20s on your ride SpeedCheeser Car Forum 90 05-21-2011 12:57 AM
I DON'T want to ride your bike. Squoddybody Off Topic 50 02-12-2009 09:15 PM
For those who don't ride in the winter. . . jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 12-12-2008 02:20 PM
why I don't ride after midnight sbfuller General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-10-2007 08:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #82
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duston98 View Post
Who cares about miles ? I can ride up and down all these stupid straight roads here all day long, pretty much takes no skill riding around these roads around Houston. Come to Utah where I'm from and we'll go who ride, or lets go to the dragon. I've yet to be one one really exciting ride here. Ok, that's is all
I'm sort if inclined to agree with this! Quality over quantity. I guess it depends on the quality of your rides. To me city miles are not quality miles, more like survival miles. As far as the roads we have here, I guess we just work with what we have. Living in Cypress, there are some ok roads to ride.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #83
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
I'm sort if inclined to agree with this! Quality over quantity. I guess it depends on the quality of your rides. To me city miles are not quality miles, more like survival miles. As far as the roads we have here, I guess we just work with what we have. Living in Cypress, there are some ok roads to ride.
Or try the track. It has, and will do miracles. Last weekend was the furthest I have leaned the bike. Felt great.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #84
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

People are going to get worked up, over anything they want.... mileage/seat time only brings with it any real bearing when some snot nosed squid/scrublet is 'educate'.
Is any 'type' inherently better thatn the other? No... and it is the broader range of experience that is the most benefit to the rider, in general.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #85
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

With bikes joining and leaving the stable, I don't bother keeping count how many miles I ride on each.

All that's important is I have at least ONE bike in the garage - read to ride - when I am. I thank the All Mighty for allowing me to swing a leg over a motorcycle. I'm content even if I don't press the starter button.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #86
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
all this talk about riding, and it's just that, talk. Many people talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

All this talk, then they're selling their 5yo bike w 10,000 mi = a whopping 2000mi a yr riding.

I looked at the first 6 street bikes in the F/S section, on avg 3000mi a yr

Is that really riding?

:eek: kekeke

my FZ1 has a hair over 70K, riding is for sissies
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

I ride in the coldest nights of winter, rain, and summer heat, does that make me a rider?

Please tell me I'm not the only nerd here
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #88
bcompton
DirtyCoast

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
1980 Peugeot LVS-U3
2005 Suzuki SV650-S
1978 Vespa Ciao
1980 Motobecane Traveler
1962 Motobecane

why are you complaining about this? that means in a few years or more, they will be up for sell with little miles on them, and they will probably sell em cheap just to make room!!
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #89
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Who cares about miles ? I can ride up and down all these stupid straight roads here all day long, pretty much takes no skill riding around these roads around Houston. Come to Utah where I'm from and we'll go who ride, or lets go to the dragon. I've yet to be one one really exciting ride here. Ok, that's is all
Quote:
Umm.. Referring to the opening post. They way I read it, apparently your a "real rider" if you put lots of miles on your bike. Just cause my poser boss commutes his goldwing back and forth to work everyday and racks up some miles makes him "walk the talk". Guess ill trade in the S1000 for a Honda shadow and ride it to work down I10 doing on avg 15 mph, so I can be a real rider. That way I can some real respect around these parts. Lol
Miles are the only way to measure experience and also hours ( i know a guy on a 50cc with lots of experience).

Yeah, I enjoy my commuting. luckily for me my commute isn't the same everyday. Sometimes, I can from Cy-Fair, to atascocita and then on down to Sugar Land in one day. I ride all over Houston.

I enjoy running through traffic. Its fun getting through wherever faster than a cager could. Weaving from lane to lane, or lane to lane to lane, lane splitting, the whole bit. Yes that takes skills. No incidents yet on the street, cause it takes street smarts.

There's a bunch of commuters here who know what i speak of. Its not my only form of transportation. I don't do it cause its cheaper, cause its not.

My favorite time to ride... in the rain.

Am i riding today? Nope, cuase i didn't feel like it.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #90
c10

Bike(s):
Hayabusa Gen II
Yamaha T Max

2012 FJR1300 bought new in december of 2011 , current reading 11990 and I dont ride much in houston most are from long road trips to the Ozarks or Smokey mountains . maybe 1000 is local . my other bikes have a combined 6 k since 2011 . I dont commute on a bike so nearly 18 k in two years is all fun miles . Back in the day when a bike was all I owned it was common to see 35 k a year . Rode my old DR650 from Houston to Virginia and many places in between in 7 days with a total of 3800 miles a few years ago ( stock seat )
c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #91
bcompton
DirtyCoast

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
1980 Peugeot LVS-U3
2005 Suzuki SV650-S
1978 Vespa Ciao
1980 Motobecane Traveler
1962 Motobecane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Miles are the only way to measure experience and also hours ( i know a guy on a 50cc with lots of experience).

Yeah, I enjoy my commuting. luckily for me my commute isn't the same everyday. Sometimes, I can from Cy-Fair, to atascocita and then on down to Sugar Land in one day. I ride all over Houston.

I enjoy running through traffic. Its fun getting through wherever faster than a cager could. Weaving from lane to lane, or lane to lane to lane, lane splitting, the whole bit. Yes that takes skills. No incidents yet on the street, cause it takes street smarts.

There's a bunch of commuters here who know what i speak of. Its not my only form of transportation. I don't do it cause its cheaper, cause its not.

My favorite time to ride... in the rain.

Am i riding today? Nope, cuase i didn't feel like it.
you should have! i rode my sv to work today, felt great since the rain yesterday and that dry air from the north came in AND pushed out a lot of the humid funk!
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #92
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Got my '07 VROD in March 2012 with aprox. 700 miles. (No idea why the previous owner never rode it) This month I hit the 15,000 mark. That's like aprox. 840 miles per month and I feel like I don't ride enough :(
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #93
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Had some problems with my 04 ZX-10R back in March 2010 and was on a somewhat voluntary hiatus for about 2 years. Bought my 2011 ZX-10R end of June 2012 with 1800 mi on the clock, I just turned 21,000 this weekend...guess I've been making up for lost time....I ride just a little bit

No kids,wife,gf....so I try to ride any chance I get when the weather is good. Don't commute too often as it's only 7 mi one way...

I didn't plan on it, but logged about 600 miles this weekend...mostly backroads and about 25% slab/city

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #94
andre3k
I see dead people...

Im so past riding at this point. I do it for a living 6 days sometimes 7 days a week. 70k a year on average. When I finish this assignment I'll probably never get on a bike again. The money is good though.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #95
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Been averaging about 400 miles a week, mostly my commute to work but spread between 4 bikes.
I've got to think about resale value so I might buy a 5th bike to spread out the miles a little more.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement