MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
DinnoSpeed3

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 Triumph SpeedTriple

Ill take lane splitting all day long, and enforce the HELMET LAW. Look at it this way, lane splitting is considered when traffic is about 15 mph bellow the speed limit and you are rolling between the cars, if lane splitting is legal and someone boxes you in they are at fault, unless the law has a disclaimer of at its own risk. Splitting two cars doing triple digits is not lane splitting, it's just reckless riding and toying with death. Besides one of the reasons people buy bikes is to shorten the commute time significantly, thus lane splitting will help. Another pointer, I would much rather be allowed to split on a red light and be in the front away of any idiot that might rear end me or the car behind me and then get hit by him. I dot want to be the ham in the club sandwich, I'll rather be the fries.....right beside it, away of trouble. Now the helmet law.... That's one they should enforced.....and the stupid excuse that the state will loose support from out of state bikers during rallies because they don't want to wear helmet is childish. Buy a helmet, have it with you, and use it in the state it's mandatory, at a minimum it's just going to save your life, I haven't heard of anyone's head falling off cuz of wearing a helmet, and if you are conserned about how dorky u look with a helmet.... You probably look like one with or with out it.
DinnoSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed Limit In Mexico Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 04-15-2014 09:04 AM
75m MPH Speed Limit Approved Bevo Off Topic 23 01-27-2012 07:47 AM
Houston speed limit LOWERED ?!?!?!?? Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 04-01-2011 09:42 AM
55 mph National Speed Limit tkblank The Circus 22 07-07-2008 04:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #62
Nocturnal_Rod

Feedback Rating: (1)

Lane splitting sounds much better, to dam hot in traffic.
Nocturnal_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #63
cychotic
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

Last edited by cychotic; 08-10-2013 at 11:04 PM.
cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #64
MadseasoN

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
I rode on shoulder past 3 cops last wednesday. After 2 bikes pass me on shoulder, i joined in. I was worried, but you gota take a stand.
I used to do that too until I ended up with nails in my tires. Too much trash on the shoulder.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #65
DinnoSpeed3

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 Triumph SpeedTriple

HOV Lane sounds good f your commute is mor than 30 miles one way and your route is a major highway or interstate (Hwy59, I-10, I-45).If not its completely pointless. There are other major roads that get badly congested and there is no HOV, on this roads I think lane splitting would be beneficial specially at peace hour. How many have gotten stuck on 610 south at rush hour with no were to go with the risk of being involved on a multiple car collision from an idiot that rear ends someone else..... Happens every friggin day. Or even for no reason coming back from Galveston on 45 on a Sunday afternoon cuz a truck decided to have a blow out. At a minimum ill even settle for a limited lane splitting law that allows it Mondays - Fridays souring peace Hrs, from 6am to 10am and afternoons from 3pm to 7pm.
DinnoSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #66
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Keep it illegal....just like all these peeps pushing for legalization. Weigh your own risks....if you're gonna do it, be smart about it. If you're gonna do it, be ready to take the heat. I'm not much of a huge speeder on the streets these days and I save more time by filtering through under 20 mph traffic most days when I ride. that said, my choice would be lane splitting....and Ybills, you sound just like a cager who doesn't ride.... Scrap the statistics....you're mad a bike or 2 beat you home b/c they fit between cars (that's the statistic, cagers get mad bc someone else "beat" them)? Quit and buy a bike if that's the case!

I'll second that HOV lanes are useless unless you live out in BFE. I live inside the beltway at 290. work in the heights. Faster to drive and sit (but I split) in mainlanes after having to account the BS to get on and off these days.

Last edited by dbuck; 08-13-2013 at 05:11 PM.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #67
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Keep it illegal....just like all these peeps pushing for legalization. Weigh your own risks....if you're gonna do it, be smart about it. If you're gonna do it, be ready to take the heat. I'm not much of a huge speeder on the streets these days and I save more time by filtering through under 20 mph traffic most days when I ride. that said, my choice would be lane splitting....and Ybills, you sound just like a cager who doesn't ride.... Scrap the statistics....you're mad a bike or 2 beat you home b/c they fit between cars (that's the statistic, cagers get mad bc someone else "beat" them)? Quit and buy a bike if that's the case!

I'll second that HOV lanes are useless unless you live out in BFE. I live inside the beltway at 290. work in the heights. Faster to drive and sit (but I split) in mainlanes after having to account the BS to get on and off these days.
That's not really what I said or meant at all. Why would I care if someone beat me? I also didnt say anything about statistics. I just said saying it reduces congestion is a poor excuse to try to legalize it. I dont do it but I also do'tt care that others do. You're going to have morons who speed through it if its legal or not. Your also going to have people that actually pay attention and do it somewhat safely if its legal or not. Im just saying dont argue it using the it reduces congestion arguement because its not valid. IMO ofc i work from home and have an 8 month old I put a total of 1000 miles a year on my truck so id say I drive them about equal tyvm
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #68
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

If I could only have one it would definitely be a higher MC speed limit.

Even when I lived in Houston filtering was only an option during rush hour riding whereas a higher speed limit (not necessarily 20+ mph higher) could be taken advantage of all the time. It is most assuredly safer to be riding your bike 5-10 mph faster than the rest of the traffic on the roads.

Steadily overtaking cars keeps the danger more or less in front of you. I always felt like a sitting duck plodding along sticking to the speed limit - I want trouble to be in front of me not creeping up behind me.

Bikes should definitely be allowed to travel faster than cars on the highway.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #69
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #70
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
So its invalid because...? You haven't said anything logical to that argument other than not enough rider, which is invalid.
There are no valid arguments. It's going to be " i think this, so it's right, " or, " i think you're wrong and it's this instead, so it's right. " So I tell you what, I'll let you keep hoping, and i'll just keep waiting. sound good? Fair 'nuff.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #71
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Last edited by cychotic; 08-14-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #72
Track_Graphics

The point is -
I like to be able to open it up when the way is clear. I'd like to go out and cruise the 610 loop at 90 after traffic dies down around midnight. I have a few sportbikes so I don't get a thrill about passing by 15 - 20 cars stopped at a light. But I do like "fast".

All the posts about logic, emissions, congestion - pbtpbtpbtpbtpbtpbt

When I'm coming over the Fred Hartman at 2:00am and there's 2 cars for the next 10 miles it would be great to crack the throttle a little more kuz it's NOT dangerous at that point and now with a little law change it's also not illegal -

**** AND I KNOW I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE POPO ATTITUDE MAN GIVING ME A TICKET*** simply because the dumbass law says I can only go 65. Now I could legally get a little closer to what the bike was made for in the first place.

Fortunately, I don't live in traffic sludge where it seem a lot of you guys do, so lane splitting does nothing for me. The question I now have is - whether you speed or lane split - how many of you have gotten tickets for lane splitting???? I've actually never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. Anyone ever get one?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #73
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)
Fuzzy 150 (impounded by dad)

Member Garage

Lane splitting for sure. (too hot)

Many times, the bikers get cut off by cagers simply because the bikes come on too fast. If the speed limit were to increased 25+ more than posted speed limit (say 65 + 25 = 90), odds are, we will still ride faster than 90.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #74
Track_Graphics

At 90 you could go at least 95 and the won't touch touch you anyway.
Man I HATE having to hold back. I just put a bunch of stickers on too and now I have all those added ponies and no place to gallop.

I'm a peacock!! Ya gotta let me FLY !!!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #75
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

Lane split!

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #76
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
in this heat? lane splitting.
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #77
bcompton
DirtyCoast

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
1980 Peugeot LVS-U3
2005 Suzuki SV650-S
1978 Vespa Ciao
1980 Motobecane Traveler
1962 Motobecane

http://www.change.org/petitions/83rd...or-motorcyclesdidn't read all the threads, but there actually is consideration in austin to legalize lane splitting
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement