MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
thats it
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed Limit In Mexico Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 04-15-2014 09:04 AM
75m MPH Speed Limit Approved Bevo Off Topic 23 01-27-2012 07:47 AM
Houston speed limit LOWERED ?!?!?!?? Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 04-01-2011 09:42 AM
55 mph National Speed Limit tkblank The Circus 22 07-07-2008 04:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #42
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
LOL... ask a dumb question, get dumb replies... don't be hurt. I don't live an alternate lifestyle like you so I have no idea what you may feel about your getting hurt. I can't compare. you asked the question expecting a response to your desire to ride like an asshat Don't see how riding a straight line at 90 qualifies as "asshat" and break laws Your lower than winter temperatures value IQ shows again. This has nothing to do with BREAKING a law and is a question to riders on what law they would best like CHANGED so we can legally rider faster when it's not inappropriate - or - woule you rather have lane splitting legalized.. because you feel you should be entitled to do so, Where the FKUC did I even infer I have some "entitilement"? If you're going to use words that are beyound you level of comprehension I suggest you google the meaning first because big, four syllable words used in the wrong context actually come out worse sounding. hence my response.
man - learn how to read. Of course - - shoe size IQ explains a lot - even if you wear European shoes in metric sizes. You need to eat some cement dood so you can get your together.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #43
Absalom

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilnwahs View Post
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=7570050

Does it suck? Apparently a judge agrees with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
yeah in this case i would agree to throw her in jail too. she knows she deserves jail time... stupid
I guess ill go ahead and clarify so I dont sound like a , Yes that lady should be going to jail. Along with people texting and driving and killing somebody. Thats careless and completely avoidable.
Absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
cychotic
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #45
obed
TMGP Pimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I would not like to see either change. If there was going to be a change and i had to pick one, I would pick lane splitting below 20 mph.
The statistics that say that lane splitting reduces congestion and adds to safety are IMO bullshit statistics... numbers used to justify the position of the folks who did the study... like most statistical reports. You can take the same basic facts and depending on the question you ask about those facts get differing conclusions.
I had a guy one time who was wanting to force employers to hire gay folks, but that is not one of the questions he asked. He asked if hiring pratices should be fair and then the asked if I thought it was alright to treat gay people badly. The answer from most people to the first would be yes, the answer from most to the second would be no. His conlusion, was that most people felt employers should be forced to hire gay people. The lane splitting conclusion is based on the same kind of logic.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #46
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

do people really believe lane splitting fixes congestion? for all of the what, 2 or 3 bikes that may be on the same highway as you, in the same traffic as you? Is that even considered congestion?

he statistics that say that lane splitting reduces congestion and adds to safety are IMO bullshit statistics... numbers used to justify the position of the folks who did the study... like most statistical reports. You can take the same basic facts and depending on the question you ask about those facts get differing conclusions.
I had a guy one time who was wanting to force employers to hire gay folks, but that is not one of the questions he asked. He asked if hiring pratices should be fair and then the asked if I thought it was alright to treat gay people badly. The answer from most people to the first would be yes, the answer from most to the second would be no. His conlusion, was that most people felt employers should be forced to hire gay people. The lane splitting conclusion is based on the same kind of logic.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #47
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

If it was allowed maybe more people will ride maybe not.

Who cares i still do it anyways. I have passed cops and they did not care.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #48
Absalom

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07' Gsxr600
07' Zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
For majority cars, there is no blind spot if people knew how to adjust their mirrors.
I do agree.. I retract my statement
Absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #49
Track_Graphics

So just to really simplify -
If the state passed a law that said bikes could drive 25 over on even days of the month -
But could lane split on odd days of the month -

It sounds like the majority of riders would prefer to be riding on odd days . . . .

Right?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

I vote for neither. I'm a law abiding citizen.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #51
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
So just to really simplify -
If the state passed a law that said bikes could drive 25 over on even days of the month -
But could lane split on odd days of the month -

It sounds like the majority of riders would prefer to be riding on odd days . . . .

Right?
The "majority" of riders are not on MH. They're on their ratted out gixxah sixxuh with a rusty chain and tank top wishing the speed limit didnt exist.

** okay maybe not the majority, but a huge number*

Most intelligent/experienced/reasonable riders would prefer lane splitting
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #52
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
do people really believe lane splitting fixes congestion? for all of the what, 2 or 3 bikes that may be on the same highway as you, in the same traffic as you? Is that even considered congestion?

he statistics that say that lane splitting reduces congestion and adds to safety are IMO bullshit statistics... numbers used to justify the position of the folks who did the study... like most statistical reports. You can take the same basic facts and depending on the question you ask about those facts get differing conclusions.
I had a guy one time who was wanting to force employers to hire gay folks, but that is not one of the questions he asked. He asked if hiring pratices should be fair and then the asked if I thought it was alright to treat gay people badly. The answer from most people to the first would be yes, the answer from most to the second would be no. His conlusion, was that most people felt employers should be forced to hire gay people. The lane splitting conclusion is based on the same kind of logic.
[/QUOTE]

Your logic is broken.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #53
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #54
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

are you serious?
urbanXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #55
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
For majority cars, there is no blind spot if people knew how to <s>adjust</s> USE their mirrors.
I feex deez!
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #56
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

One good point from a different incident applies here. Some time back a girl got killed riding on the back of a sportbike; had something to do with a strap missing from the rear seat or something like that. Her family went (still is?) on a mission to pass laws requiring all "sportbikes" to have certain provisions for passengers, such as footpegs, straps/grab-bars etc. So, no more solo-cowls or integrating turn signals into your rearsets etc - and you might get stopped if your passenger pegs are up, just so that the cop can make sure they're attatched and functional etc.

Point is, this would mean creating a legal definition of "sport-bike". You'd get a domino chain spiraling out of control with manufacturers making design modifications solely for legal loopholes, people arguing (incl in court) over their "class" of bike... it would be pandora's box.

Now, I know Cali allows for lane splitting; bikers love it and sometimes hate it and frequently abuse it. But Texas? We've got our 10-gallon hat upside down, with a giant straw in it, a miniature umbrella decorating the top, filled to the brim with 100-proof stoopid and the cup runneth over.

Lane Splitting - our wonderful Houston medical facilities will open up a new generation of students trained to surgically remove side-mirrors and interior door components. Meanwhile the pirates and the space-men will point the finger at each other; one side for pushing to get a dangerous law passed, the other side for riding Harleys in the first place.

Speed limits - The speed limit laws are designed to apply equally to everybody, based on "lowest reasonable maximum". Big trucks need to go slower than small cars; one should drive slower in the rain and/or at night. The night-time speed limits were eliminated, I presume because us humans need things as simple as possible. 65 on a well-lit freeway is appropriate for a big truck at night on wet roads. Yes, for us bikes the concept of a "reasonable" speed varies with so many factors it's unreal; a skilled and responsible rider knows his/her safe speed, but far too many riders are unskilled and/or irresponsible.

^^ point made, but brief digression. I rode I-10 West everyday to work, from Katy to Sealy. Normally, I want to find the open gaps in traffic and thus had to pass cars, and thus "speed". I return to normal flow of traffic speed when I'm between clumps. With no traffic and otherwise perfect conditions I can cruise at 90-something and it feels like I'm just kickin' back and watching the stripes meander by. The sensation of "I'm going overly fast" doesn't kick in until at least 120. Then again it's dark on the ride home - no streetlights - and even the high beams on the R6 were puny and I kept it to around 60 or 65 max; my appropriate max speed was actually less than that for cars - I over-rode my limits just so I didn't get rear-ended.

So, if anyone cares for my .02, I'd propose having a section of road somewhere with very high speed limits, running alongside the "old" road with normal ones, drivers/riding taking the fast lane at their own risk.

BTW "tougher laws" don't seem to actually deter crime, is there another more positive approach to getting people to get off the phone while behind the wheel?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152994141430441/
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #58
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

?

I don't know what you mean , the first line was mine.. the second little thing wasn't me. If you mean the first line, yes I am serious. The HOV lane helps to " fix " emissions and promote carpooling. And HOV lanes are placed throughout cities in places that are highly congested in order to prevent said congesteion.

not sure what the HOV lane has anything to do with 1 or two bikes in the same place at any given time. There is no where NEAR enough bike traffic to use the " it helps move traffic " excuse. So yeah, I am serious. Unless I am just missing something ?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
are you serious?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #59
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned